Schiit Gungnir DAC
Oct 12, 2015 at 6:36 PM Post #2,701 of 7,210
  Yeah, at this point, I don't think anyone really believes his setup is real.

OK, when I get home from work, I will post a few pics.

I have been VERY reluctant because my setup is messy, wires ALL over the place, and it isn't exactly pretty. I have been planning on building some new racks to house the 5 Gungnirs, 3 WYRDS, my dual PC setup, etc. and the two MiniDSP digital crossovers I use in order to have 10 active channels. 

I have been enjoying music too much to bother about it.

My messy setup has been the main reason I have not posted anything, BUT to put to rest any doubt, I'll post a few pics for the WORLD to see my messy setup. LOL!

I'm willing to help anyone who wants to pursue an all-active open baffle system, and can share how I developed the crossover slopes and addressed driver resonances utilizing notch filters.

Cheers!  :wink:

Oct 12, 2015 at 6:47 PM Post #2,702 of 7,210
Before I post these pictures of my system, I'm curious, what is it about my system that some find unbelieveable? Is it the use of 5 Gungnirs in ONE system? Is it the unbelief that I actually HAVE 5 Gungnirs?

I'm curious why the naysayers or unbelief?

Mediahound? ThomasCrown???

Oct 12, 2015 at 6:54 PM Post #2,703 of 7,210
  Before I post these pictures of my system, I'm curious, what is it about my system that some find unbelieveable? Is it the use of 5 Gungnirs in ONE system? Is it the unbelief that I actually HAVE 5 Gungnirs?

Not a naysayer, but ever since you described your system, I have wanted to actually visualize 5! count them 5! Gungnirs used in a 2-channel system. I think it will look glorious even if it's "messy." Also how you got your drivers set up.

Oct 12, 2015 at 8:28 PM Post #2,705 of 7,210
  OK, when I get home from work, I will post a few pics.

I have been VERY reluctant because my setup is messy, wires ALL over the place, and it isn't exactly pretty. I have been planning on building some new racks to house the 5 Gungnirs, 3 WYRDS, my dual PC setup, etc. and the two MiniDSP digital crossovers I use in order to have 10 active channels. 

I have been enjoying music too much to bother about it.

My messy setup has been the main reason I have not posted anything, BUT to put to rest any doubt, I'll post a few pics for the WORLD to see my messy setup. LOL!

I'm willing to help anyone who wants to pursue an all-active open baffle system, and can share how I developed the crossover slopes and addressed driver resonances utilizing notch filters.

Cheers!  :wink:

popcorn.gif

Oct 12, 2015 at 9:30 PM Post #2,706 of 7,210

Actually I starting being skeptical after the 2nd wyrd...  

Oct 12, 2015 at 9:37 PM Post #2,707 of 7,210

Not a naysayer, but ever since you described your system, I have wanted to actually visualize 5! count them 5! Gungnirs used in a 2-channel system. I think it will look glorious even if it's "messy." Also how you got your drivers set up.

Yeah this. Ever since you started posting about your system I was thinking about the potential for this to be a pretty awesome system. While not cheap, if its half as good as you say it is, I'll bet it beats a lot of systems that cost quite a bit more. I'm pretty curious is all.

Oct 12, 2015 at 11:37 PM Post #2,708 of 7,210
Anyone here heard/have the Gungnir USB2>BHSE>SR-009? I recently picked one up to use with a different set-up balanced, but have since cancelled that set-up and went with the BHSE/SR-009 so it wasn't intended to use with this system thats why I'm asking for some impressions/opinions even though I may feel differently when I hear it for myself.
if it pairs well with the BHSE/SR-009.
Thank you.

Oct 13, 2015 at 3:45 AM Post #2,709 of 7,210

I dont find that your system unbelieveable - rather I find it exciting. I dont need a picture to support this. 

Check out BeoLab 90: 18 driverunits, 18 d/a converters and 8.200 w of power - and that is just one speaker!!!

Oct 13, 2015 at 5:00 AM Post #2,710 of 7,210
  After 50 hours, mine is starting to mellow out. The treble on the Gumby is a good bit brighter than on my old Gungnir. The detail it reveals is awesome, though, especially on guitars and voices.

hi,

I'm trying to understand.

So as the Gumby mellows out, the treble got a good bit brighter (than the old Gungnir)?

Is that suppose to mean Gumby's treble got clearer, treble comes with more detail or you mean the treble has gone more blaring and stood out from the rest of the spectrum?

Oct 13, 2015 at 6:52 AM Post #2,711 of 7,210
99% of any gear's "burn in" is in our brains. Ever notice how burn in always improves sound? This is because our brain is learning to accept it. There would have to be some instances where burn in degraded the sound to provide any support for actual hardware changes.

Oct 13, 2015 at 9:41 AM Post #2,713 of 7,210
I've certainly experienced degradation of the initial sound quality of a component during the burn in process before sound quality has improved.

I experienced this with Gunngir AND Gungnir multibit. I remember that it was glorious, real open sounding, and had a tube-like liquidity, then after about 75 hours it went away and didn't quite sound as good, then it started opening up again after around 200 hours, and seemed to smooth out and flesh out more till around the 500 hour mark which is where it seemed to setlle at..

BTW, for all wondering, I'm compiling pictures to post of my 5 Gungnir, all-active, ten channel amplification- two-channel stereo setup. BADA BING BADA BOOM!!

Cheers!

Oct 13, 2015 at 10:36 AM Post #2,714 of 7,210
99% of any gear's "burn in" is in our brains. Ever notice how burn in always improves sound? This is because our brain is learning to accept it. There would have to be some instances where burn in degraded the sound to provide any support for actual hardware changes.

You're entitled to your opinion, however capacitors can dramatically alter the presentation from initial power up well into the 100 hour mark. I have personally heard this, and capacitor dielectric changes/aging is the reason older gear is sometimes taken in for recapping.

Dynamic drivers also alter their response in time from brand new, pad wear also accounts for dramatic FR changes throughout the life of headphones.

I think it's a dangerous statement to suggest that 99% of perceived changes are in our brains, especially with a DAC that has documented results correlating accuracy and thermal temperature.

Fwiw my Gumby sounded "crisp" out of the box, then became (overly) warm with brightness up top, then the warmth subsided as details became more and more apparent. This took well over 50 hours, and there were two dramatic changes as others have mentioned as well (for me, after 24 hours, then after over ~350 hours). It always sounded accurate and authoritative though. I'll be plugging it back in from cold tomorrow and I'll subjectively note how it sounds, and if it changes again.

Oct 13, 2015 at 10:44 AM Post #2,715 of 7,210
You're entitled to your opinion, however capacitors can dramatically alter the presentation from initial power up well into the 100 hour mark. I have personally heard this, and capacitor dielectric changes/aging is the reason older gear is sometimes taken in for recapping.

Dynamic drivers also alter their response in time from brand new, pad wear also accounts for dramatic FR changes throughout the life of headphones.

I think it's a dangerous statement to suggest that 99% of perceived changes are in our brains, especially with a DAC that has documented results correlating accuracy and thermal temperature.

Fwiw my Gumby sounded "crisp" out of the box, then became (overly) warm with brightness up top, then the warmth subsided as details became more and more apparent. This took well over 50 hours, and there were two dramatic changes as others have mentioned as well (for me, after 24 hours, then after over ~350 hours). It always sounded accurate and authoritative though. I'll be plugging it back in from cold tomorrow and I'll subjectively note how it sounds, and if it changes again.

Nice post; sound opinions. Thanks for not making it personal.

But my original thesis is asking why changes always end up in a positive light. Why is the multi-hundred hour burn in always an improvement? Also, Schiit burns their gear in at their place, so that just adds to my opinion that burn in is mostly mental.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back