Schiit Gungnir DAC
Sep 15, 2015 at 6:35 PM Post #2,506 of 7,213

I have about 80-hours on the Gumby and love the sound, but today I sent it back to Schiit Audio for repairs (Gumbye).

Seems I was able to ham-fist the optical connector and break off a piece of the connector to the DAC, so it would no longer accept an optical cable.  Oops.  Played it for awhile on USB and it didn't drop out, but IMO it doesn't sound as good (didn't try it with the Wyrd).  Hope to have it back next week.  I also advised the Schiit Techs about the 5-6 drop-outs I've experienced running on 100% optical input from the Mac, maybe they can find something.  Different problem than what MattTCG experienced.

Sorry that happened. Yeah, note to anyone reading, never force in any connector whether it be optical, usb, or whatever. 

Sep 15, 2015 at 6:43 PM Post #2,507 of 7,213
Sorry that happened. Yeah, note to anyone reading, never force in any connector whether it be optical, usb, or whatever. 

I started using a gold plated optical cable, so I could easily see how to hook up the optical cable properly. For some reason, I have a difficult tome properly aligning the black optical cable to the whole properly..

Sep 15, 2015 at 6:55 PM Post #2,508 of 7,213
I started using a gold plated optical cable, so I could easily see how to hook up the optical cable properly. For some reason, I have a difficult tome properly aligning the black optical cable to the whole properly..

It helps to shine a flashlight on it in order to better see the alignment of the curved side of the jack to the plug. 

Sep 15, 2015 at 7:12 PM Post #2,509 of 7,213
It helps to shine a flashlight on it in order to better see the alignment of the curved side of the jack to the plug. 

Yes using a pin light is a must for most tasks.

Sep 16, 2015 at 5:48 PM Post #2,510 of 7,213
Yes using a pin light is a must for most tasks.

Yea, I think that was my problem.  I would get the cable lined up (to the hole) and then spin it around until the notches matched.  Not very delicate.  But, I think it broke when I removed the cable with a bit excess and side force.  I asked the Schiit rep if they can make the DAC connector out of metal so it's more robust, the answer was no.  So, will just have to be more careful going forward.  The optical connection is probably the most delicate of all the connectors.  

Sep 16, 2015 at 6:01 PM Post #2,511 of 7,213
Finally home to hear my MB Gungnir, which has been powered up for 170 hours.

Sounds like it has a huge set of balls... it hits hard, but it also has an extremely elegant, clear presentation. A touch of warmth as well, but a very even keeled presentation. 

I've never heard bass sound this tight and deep on the HD-650's. Details are starting to translate from a different place as well. I have to give this DAC a lot more ear time to wrap my head around it. I'm thinking this could be a match made in heaven with the Cavalli LC, but I would really have to hear... seems to me it would really bring out what the LC does best. Just my initial impressions.

Sep 16, 2015 at 8:21 PM Post #2,512 of 7,213
Are people using the XLR or RCA outputs? Please compare sound signature. Thanks.

Sep 17, 2015 at 1:42 AM Post #2,513 of 7,213
  Are people using the XLR or RCA outputs? Please compare sound signature. Thanks.

Direct from the man himself:

Originally Posted by Baldr

Any rumor that the SE out on the Gumby has been gimped is pure bullschiit.  The implementation is as on the Yggy, where the individual balanced outputs are summed algebraically.  This inherently cancels common mode artifacts.

Sep 17, 2015 at 1:46 AM Post #2,514 of 7,213
Sep 17, 2015 at 7:13 AM Post #2,516 of 7,213
  Direct from the man himself:

I saw that.

But that doesn't change the opinion of several (many?) here who have compared the output of the XLR and SE outputs and have posted their (negative) opinions.

Sep 17, 2015 at 8:01 AM Post #2,517 of 7,213

I saw that.

But that doesn't change the opinion of several (many?) here who have compared the output of the XLR and SE outputs and have posted their (negative) opinions.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion. I've compared the xlr and se out on the GMB and find them both outstanding. I can not pass a blind A/B test when the levels are matched. So I have no sense that i'm "downgrading" when using this dac over the RCA outs. ymmv

Sep 17, 2015 at 8:18 AM Post #2,518 of 7,213
Not to change topics or anything 
tongue.gif

I was A-B-C listening to three different DAC through my system. I came across a song I truly enjoyed, and stopped to listen to it just on the GMB. The song is by J.S. Bach: PRELUDE from the Unaccompanied Cello Suite No. 1 in G Major, BMW 1007. It sounded so visceral that it reminded me more of modern Hip-Hop than what I've become accustomed to hearing in terms of recorded Classical music. It made me reflect that there was a time, prior to recorded music, that people would listen to such things only live. And I suppose, Bach was the Pop or Hip-Hop artist of his day.

Anyway, just saying through the GMB, the sound changed into a very dramatic, energetic performance. I like 
biggrin.gif

Sep 17, 2015 at 11:18 AM Post #2,519 of 7,213

Everyone is entitled to their opinion. I've compared the xlr and se out on the GMB and find them both outstanding. I can not pass a blind A/B test when the levels are matched. So I have no sense that i'm "downgrading" when using this dac over the RCA outs. ymmv

Which amp were you testing on Matt?

My opinion of blind testing kind of echoes what was posted recently around HF and IF... I find that spending a decent amount of time with gear, then swapping to a different setup and comparing initial impressions to be the best indicator. (Apologies to objectivists who insist on dbt, but this seems far more revealing to myself).

I plan to eventually (before xmas) buy that XLR to SE transformer setup, and feed the Zana Deux which is not balanced from the XLR outputs of the MB Gungnir myself. I believe that the XLR outputs of the MB Gungnir have potential to sound subjectively better than the single ended outputs, however I would not be surprised if the difference is very minimal, like you say.

I will say that the I also agree about the SE outputs of the Gungnir. They are not flawed, or gimped. Probably a statement with poor wording, or just unintentionally ignorant.

One other point; I'm actually scratching my head wondering why anyone would suggest to buy a warmer sounding DAC over Gumby... the MB Gungnir has plenty of warmth. If anything, the Yggdrasil is an example of the perfect DAC to buy to feed tube gear; whereas I am personally finding that the warmth of the Gumby, and a tube amp accounts for the difference in ability to resolve micro detailing between the two setups. 

My advice- if you are feeding a good tube amplifier and can afford the Yggdrasil, absolutely go for it. If you are thinking that the Gumby will sound too sharp/resolving/not "musical" or warm enough, I don't think you would have any regrets going for the Gumby... I would take it any day over a DAC that sounds warmer and offers slightly less resolution. The Gumby pulls off a hell of a lot of resolution, while still presenting an overall warmth.

Last comment - it's hilarious, but I've never felt as compelled to just crank my music and dance as I do with the Gumby. It's just an exhilarating, fun experience. Thoroughly enjoyable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back