Schiit Freya Impressions and Tube Rolling Thread
Nov 15, 2017 at 1:07 AM Post #1,009 of 3,234
I noticed when I tap on the Freya, you can hear it quite loudly through the speakers, even with the volume all the way down. Is this normal?

Nov 15, 2017 at 1:46 AM Post #1,011 of 3,234
I noticed when I tap on the Freya, you can hear it quite loudly through the speakers, even with the volume all the way down. Is this normal?
It is not uncommon if your tubes are microphonic and you're using the tube gain stage. It doesn't necessarily mean the tubes are bad (offensive) however. How do they sound otherwise-when you're not tapping?

Nov 15, 2017 at 12:25 PM Post #1,012 of 3,234
Same thing with mine, with new tung sols. Doesnt happen in passive or jfet. I have had several tube preamps (and amps) over many years and dont recall that tapping on the chasis caused this noise—cerainly not with most recent Cary or Audible Illusions. GReat SOUND from Freya tube section for sure.

One other thing which I am sure has been discussed is how hot my Freya gets, including the volume knob which becomes more than slightly warm. Is this normal too? Thanks

Nov 15, 2017 at 12:37 PM Post #1,013 of 3,234
I strictly use tube mode. I can hear the tubes rattle through my speakers if I knock on the Freya. I did two things to dampen the tube noise.
1. I use Herbie's Tube Dampeners
2. I put a stone mortar and pestle on the top to the left of the tubes that weighs several pounds. That did as much as the Tube Dampeners.

Other than when I knock on the Freya, there is no noise.

Not getting much heat, but my tubes are completely out of the Freya tube wells due to socket savers which bring the socket height level to the Freya top. Then I use 6SN7 to 6C8G/6F8G adapters which raises them again.

Last edited:
Nov 15, 2017 at 1:43 PM Post #1,014 of 3,234
I strictly use tube mode. I can hear the tubes rattle through my speakers if I knock on the Freya. I did two things to dampen the tube noise.
2. I put a several pound stone mortar and pestle on the top to the left of the tubes that weighs several pounds. That did as much as the Tube Dampeners.

Not getting much heat, put my tubes are completely out of the Freya tube wells due to socket savers which bring the socket height level to the Freya top. Then I use 6SN7 to 6C8G/6F8G adapters which raises them again.
Your stone mortar solution is smart . Something I never thought of

Nov 15, 2017 at 1:56 PM Post #1,015 of 3,234
I'm sure this is discussed elsewhere in other forums, but usually microphonic tube noise is caused by the resonant frequency of the chassis structure. The less mass there is in the chassis, the more likely you will get tube noise from your speakers when the chassis is tapped. Increasing mass, lowers the resonant frequency of the chassis which can reduce the noise. Using dampeners can reduce tube rattle/noise.

The Freya chassis is just a thin metallic shell.

Which is why putting a heavy weight on top of the preamp would work. It helps lower the structure's resonance frequency below an audible range.

For headphone listening, I don't think it would matter. (Unless, you are constantly tapping the preamp chassis or glass envelopes of the tubes.)

Nov 15, 2017 at 3:07 PM Post #1,016 of 3,234
2. I put a several pound stone mortar and pestle on the top to the left of the tubes that weighs several pounds. That did as much as the Tube Dampeners.

Not getting much heat, but my tubes are completely out of the Freya tube wells due to socket savers which bring the socket height level to the Freya top. Then I use 6SN7 to 6C8G/6F8G adapters which raises them again.
I hate to spook anything but my tubes have been totally quiet - even a tap does little. I'm using Northern Electric tubes on the gain side. The weight was a good idea by the way.

Nov 15, 2017 at 3:43 PM Post #1,017 of 3,234
Yes, it only happens in tube mode. I see I'm not alone, so I guess that's a good thing...

At the moment, I am using new production tung sols in the buffer stage and NOS tung sols in the gain stage

Also, they sound fine otherwise.

Last edited:
Nov 15, 2017 at 5:12 PM Post #1,018 of 3,234
I have rolled quite a few different tubes in the freya. Some are noisy and some are dead quiet. I now ask the tube seller's to check to make sure the tubes are not microphonic.
If they are microphonic you will get the noise described above. I have a pair of Raytheons that are microphonic but they sound so good I just run them anyway.

Nov 15, 2017 at 7:00 PM Post #1,019 of 3,234
I have rolled quite a few different tubes in the freya. Some are noisy and some are dead quiet. I now ask the tube seller's to check to make sure the tubes are not microphonic.
If they are microphonic you will get the noise described above. I have a pair of Raytheons that are microphonic but they sound so good I just run them anyway.
I have been using Northern Electric tubes and love them. I also have had great luck with Psvane tubes. I have used them in different products and have never been disappointed. I have a matched pair of Psvane Premium Grade 6CA7-T Mark II on order and expect them within the week.

Nov 15, 2017 at 7:35 PM Post #1,020 of 3,234
Freya tube rollin' guys -
With things like the Psvane or Northern Electrics, are you hearing major improvements over stock Russians or new production like Tung Sol or EH? I'm guessing "yes"???

I'm listening strictly to JFET buffer mode having pulled the tubes. I did try a matched pair of NOS (early '50s) RCAs from Brent Jesse along with some "better quality" NOS Russians from Upscale Audio as well as new production EH. None of these rocked my world. I could hear a little "change" in SQ with tubes but after a couple of sessions I found I preferred the "cleanness" of sound with JFET. Other than the huge jump in gain, I'm not hearing anything especially "tubey" from the Freya in tube mode. I am hearing more significant improvements changing out interconnects. Application is Gungnir MB as input to the Freya; Merrill Audio Taranis and Totem Forest speakers downstream of the Freya. Just wondering about the "scale" of what you are hearing with these better tubes. Not trying to start an argument whatsoever.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back