Schiit Freya Impressions and Tube Rolling Thread
Nov 4, 2017 at 3:42 PM Post #976 of 3,234
Nov 4, 2017 at 4:30 PM Post #978 of 3,234
If you’re getting lots of tube noise, especially if you’ve changed around your tubes, I would look elsewhere for the problem. Could be something like a ground fault or noise in your home wiring. I have swapped out a number of tubes and have never had a problem. Tubes have a way of making these kinds of problems more obvious.

Nov 4, 2017 at 4:36 PM Post #979 of 3,234
If you’re getting lots of tube noise, especially if you’ve changed around your tubes, I would look elsewhere for the problem. Could be something like a ground fault or noise in your home wiring. I have swapped out a number of tubes and have never had a problem. Tubes have a way of making these kinds of problems more obvious.
I agree ,thats why I tried three different outlets in three different parts of my house. Problems in all of them. NO problems with the tubes in my Rogue Cronos Magnum.

Last edited:
Nov 4, 2017 at 4:39 PM Post #980 of 3,234
When I say the Freya is a failure, I mean that in my opinion any audio product that fails to emotionally engage the listener is a failure, regardless of price. It fails as an audio product at a fundamental level.

I left it to burn in over the weekend so I’ll see what happens with an additional 50 hours.

I was hoping the JFET would honestly provide more force/drive — it seems like just an inferior tube mode? The passive mode is just bad.
Honestly your experience is very different from most peoples. I’m wondering what other components you are using?

Nov 4, 2017 at 4:41 PM Post #981 of 3,234
Mike, I was having a off an on buzzing noise in my right output of the Freya .A tung Sol is located there. I tapped it and the sound went away for the
listening period. Tapped it a couple if times actually.
So what does that tell you?

Nov 4, 2017 at 4:41 PM Post #982 of 3,234
I agree ,thats why I tries three different outlets in three different parts of my house. Problems in all of them. NO problems with the tubes in my Rogue Cronos Magnum.
I had a few problems with a different tube preamp and found the source of noise to be dimmer switches. I ended up having an electrician install a dedicated line to my listening room. Problem went away after that.

Nov 4, 2017 at 4:43 PM Post #983 of 3,234
I had a few problems with a different tube preamp and found the source of noise to be dimmer switches. I ended up having an electrician install a dedicated line to my listening room. Problem went away after that.
I have a dedicated line with PS audio dectet outlets and Ps audio power conditioner.

Last edited:
Nov 4, 2017 at 5:30 PM Post #985 of 3,234
Certainly, I noticed a pretty bad stridency. I bought the Freya used, so I had hoped burn-in artifacts could be avoided, so we’ll see how it evolves. The high frequency harshness seems to be a much larger issue with some tracks than others though.

I don’t think the lack of musicality is an issue of tuning. I don’t know exactly what the issue is. In terms of detail it easily beats a Mjolnir 2 I was using a preamp. With the NOS tubes I got with the Freya it is also at least the match, and I think a little better than the M2 (Reflektor Silver Shields) in terms of soundstage and imaging. If I had to rely on my gut feelings, I’d say it has something to do with the a lack of dynamic force? I’m not sure, but I notice the lack of emotional engagement in myself when listening, something which was not the case with the M2.

I haven't had any problems with my Freya being strident or flat lacking dynamics. The Freya is very emotionally involving for for me. With most of the music I regularly listen to I find myself unable to do anything other than just enjoy the music (I find it hard to multitask when listening to my system with the Freya)! Maybe you have a problem with your system somewhere else: interconnects, speakers, or amplifier?

Nov 4, 2017 at 6:36 PM Post #989 of 3,234
I recently put Sylvania 7n7's into my Freya, and I'm not looking back.

Tight, well-defined bottom end, mid-range clarity and depth, relaxed highs.
Sylvania 7N7's are also the quietest tubes I have tried so far. All other tubes exhibited the varying levels of 45-60 HZ hum on the “high-gain” Freya.

Regards

Nov 4, 2017 at 7:07 PM Post #990 of 3,234
I recently put Sylvania 7n7's into my Freya, and I'm not looking back.

Tight, well-defined bottom end, mid-range clarity and depth, relaxed highs.
Sylvania 7N7's are also the quietest tubes I have tried so far. All other tubes exhibited the varying levels of 45-60 HZ hum on the “high-gain” Freya.

Regards
Where did you get the adapters?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back