Schiit Freya Impressions and Tube Rolling Thread
Oct 4, 2017 at 6:11 PM Post #946 of 3,219
Most, including Schiit, have recommended putting "better" tubes in the gain stage (the two to the right). It's also more practical to have two matched tubes than quad match: one matched pair for the gain on the right and one matched pair for the output on the left.

I don't know this to be fact, just stating the popular opinion. Your tube listening mileage may vary.
Absolutely correct. Right tubes are gain and your best tubs go there. The left tubes are simply a buffer and are not so important.

Oct 5, 2017 at 8:26 PM Post #947 of 3,219
I have found (and have posted this before) that if you really like a pair of tubes in the gain stage that two more as followers enhances the qualities of the gain stage. I have found this true every time. Also the followers can temper the gain stage once you learn a tubes particular qualities.

I have a pair of Psvane's best tightly matched as well as a pair of Robert Shaw CV181's......so I must say if you have spent some bucks on these new productions and want a little adventure, enjoy this aspect of the hobby, and can spend more going down the rabbit hole by all means if possible try some of the NOS classics from the Reference 6SN7 thread's first page. You can start with two in the gain stage to see if they tickle your fancy.

You may find a soundstage, imaging and dynamics coming from Freya that will be more stunning than you thought possible.

Oct 5, 2017 at 10:51 PM Post #948 of 3,219
I have found (and have posted this before) that if you really like a pair of tubes in the gain stage that two more as followers enhances the qualities of the gain stage. I have found this true every time. Also the followers can temper the gain stage once you learn a tubes particular qualities.

I have a pair of Psvane's best tightly matched as well as a pair of Robert Shaw CV181's......so I must say if you have spent some bucks on these new productions and want a little adventure, enjoy this aspect of the hobby, and can spend more going down the rabbit hole by all means if possible try some of the NOS classics from the Reference 6SN7 thread's first page. You can start with two in the gain stage to see if they tickle your fancy.

You may find a soundstage, imaging and dynamics coming from Freya that will be more stunning than you thought possible.

Very nice impressions!!
Did someone tryied the mullard cv181 ecc32 in the Freya ?
Did worked? Thanks

Oct 10, 2017 at 6:24 PM Post #949 of 3,219
Just got the Freya today and already liking what I hear but wouldn’t mind finding a tube that is maybe a bit warmer. The stock tubes are not harsh at all but would like something a bit smoother. Right now I’m just running it as a preamplifier for a cheap turntable setup but will be adding a CD player and maybe take the Yggdrasil out of my headphone chain at times. My speakers are Polk LSi 15’s and using a Adcom GFA 555 at the moment but plan on getting a pair of Vidar’s at the end of the year. Not a total tube noob but don’t know these as I have a Bottlehead Crack and a Amps and Sound Kenzie but none of those tubes will work in the Freya. The CV181-Z seem to be well received here so they are on the list and one person said they were expensive but I don’t think $199 for a matched pair to be crazy but that would probably be at the midrange of what I would like to spend don’t really want to double that. So any and all recommendations are welcome.

Nov 4, 2017 at 1:24 AM Post #950 of 3,219
Hi guys, I registered here because it looks like this forum is the primary online forum for Schiit gear.

In regards to the Freya, does anyone else feel that it's a failure? Lack of musical engagement. Has anyone else noticed this?

Nov 4, 2017 at 1:39 AM Post #951 of 3,219
I am very sorry, but I don't think you will be taken very seriously here. With your one liner statement without any example or any reference,
and no equipment profile filled out. This makes your post look like an bad attempt at trolling.

Regards

Nov 4, 2017 at 3:03 AM Post #952 of 3,219
Just got the Freya today and already liking what I hear but wouldn’t mind finding a tube that is maybe a bit warmer. The stock tubes are not harsh at all but would like something a bit smoother. Right now I’m just running it as a preamplifier for a cheap turntable setup but will be adding a CD player and maybe take the Yggdrasil out of my headphone chain at times. My speakers are Polk LSi 15’s and using a Adcom GFA 555 at the moment but plan on getting a pair of Vidar’s at the end of the year. Not a total tube noob but don’t know these as I have a Bottlehead Crack and a Amps and Sound Kenzie but none of those tubes will work in the Freya. The CV181-Z seem to be well received here so they are on the list and one person said they were expensive but I don’t think $199 for a matched pair to be crazy but that would probably be at the midrange of what I would like to spend don’t really want to double that. So any and all recommendations are welcome.
Hi guys, I registered here because it looks like this forum is the primary online forum for Schiit gear.

In regards to the Freya, does anyone else feel that it's a failure? Lack of musical engagement. Has anyone else noticed this?

Nope

Nov 4, 2017 at 5:49 AM Post #953 of 3,219

Not at all. Not sure what your comparing it to if anything but its pretty amazing considering the price point.

Nov 4, 2017 at 7:31 AM Post #954 of 3,219

Not in the least bit. If you are using tubes though , I would definitely check out other tubes . I never found the stock tubes to be that good .

Nov 4, 2017 at 10:26 AM Post #955 of 3,219

Having been, (and continuing to be), a rather pleased owner of multiple Schiit Audio components...including Freya, Ragnarok, Yggdrasil, as well as multiple other Schiit Audio headphone amps as well as another D/A converter, and using those components upstream of my Lipinski Sound L-707 monitors, (driven by an Aragon 4004 amp.), I will say that using the Freya as opposed to the Ragnarok as my pre-amplifier imparted a significant/audible frequency shift in my system. The Freya's output was considerably brighter than the pre-amp output of the Ragnarok, at least in the upper mid-range if not high frequencies...substitution done with NO other changes in my system. Certainly the soundstage, imaging, detail and so forth ALL improved very audibly, however, it IS brighter...and depending on that which you were using prior to using Freya, perhaps that is what you heard...?...OH, and the brightness remained regardless as to whether or not I was using Freya in passive, solid-state, or tube mode...

Peace/Namaste,
tim

Nov 4, 2017 at 10:51 AM Post #956 of 3,219

I can imagine the Freya not delivering what YOU were looking for or expecting (though "lack of musical engagement" really doesn't communicate anything meaningful to me) but to generalize from that personal experience and label it a failure in a more universal way seems an overstatement. I would be interested what lack of music engagement means to you and hear about another preamp that delivers in this regard.

Last edited:
Nov 4, 2017 at 11:21 AM Post #957 of 3,219

Hi Buke - I think I can relate to your comments about the Freya sound with tubes. I can well imagine a lusher sound using Freya in tube mode. On the other hand, since I bought it mainly for use as a passive device, this hasn't been a big deal to me. I'm very happy with the sound quality of my system using Freya in JFET buffer mode. The sound associated with Freya is not lean or harsh. It seems to work well with the rest of my gear (2 different SS amps). It seems to me the IC used from the Freya to amp has a bigger effect than changing tubes. I have tried the stock Russian 6SN7s, a pair in the gain position of NOS Russian 6SN7s from Upscale Audio, a quad of new production EH 6SN7s, and finally a pair of NOS (early '50s) RCAs, again used in the gain position. I hear slight changes in the over all sound (after level balancing) when in tube mode but ultimately find myself going back to JFET buffer mode. In this mode, the overall sound is "full" to me and a little "cleaner" (but not in a sterile/lean way) than tubes. I'm very curious about new production TungSols that get good press. Just haven't been real motivated to spend on them (not that they are very expensive in the larger scheme).

Maybe take a look at your ICs into and out of the Freya? With a pair of Totem Forests, AQ Columbia XLR works well from Freya to Class D power amp. With Silverline Prelude Pluses (a lot more treble energy) I'm using a Cardas Golden Reference from Gungnir MB DAC into the Freya and Cardas Parsec SE ICs into the HT bypass of a Hegel H200. If using the Hegel as an integrated, the Freya is out of the loop (obviously) and I'll just run the Gungnir via XLR into the balanced input of the Hegel. In this latter case, the AQ Columbias are a better choice with the Forests, the Cardas GR works better with the Silverlines. Possibly more wire detail than you need; my intent is to give you an idea about some of the sound-changing-permutations that are possible.

Hope you find a way to tune Freya to your preference.

Nov 4, 2017 at 12:17 PM Post #958 of 3,219
Certainly, I noticed a pretty bad stridency. I bought the Freya used, so I had hoped burn-in artifacts could be avoided, so we’ll see how it evolves. The high frequency harshness seems to be a much larger issue with some tracks than others though.

I don’t think the lack of musicality is an issue of tuning. I don’t know exactly what the issue is. In terms of detail it easily beats a Mjolnir 2 I was using a preamp. With the NOS tubes I got with the Freya it is also at least the match, and I think a little better than the M2 (Reflektor Silver Shields) in terms of soundstage and imaging. If I had to rely on my gut feelings, I’d say it has something to do with the a lack of dynamic force? I’m not sure, but I notice the lack of emotional engagement in myself when listening, something which was not the case with the M2.

Nov 4, 2017 at 12:22 PM Post #959 of 3,219
Stock tubes are pretty bad, IMO. Get some warmer NOS tubes like Sylvania or National Union and then see how Freya sounds. You really only need to replace the gain stage as that's the most important two (the right two) but buffer tubes can make some difference too.

Nov 4, 2017 at 12:30 PM Post #960 of 3,219
The only thing I haven’t liked about the Freya , which is not Schiit’s fault is I have have bad luck
with tube purchases .
The stock tubes exhibited an off and on buzzing sound . The new production Tung sols sounded better imo but they have
also exhibited a off and on buzzing sound . This is not good as I can hear the buzzing on quiet passages from my listening
position about 7 feet away
I have bought some Suangung Treasure tubes recently and they sound much much better than the Tung sols or stock tubes but
. Not much buzzing but I have heard a little on start up but not from my listening position .

Right now , I look forward to maybe some lisst tubes for the Freya .

I’m using Schiit Freya , Yggy , two Vidars , Auralic Aries and Kef LS50 combo .

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back