Schiit Freya Impressions and Tube Rolling Thread
Nov 15, 2017 at 9:10 PM Post #1,036 of 3,233
Nope. Was NOT trying to say in any absolute way that Freya in JFET mode is objectively better than Passive or Tubes. Only that it is my preference.

Unlike the deniers that always seem to pop up whenever the wire topic comes up, I'm not interested in trying to convince anyone else they ain't hearing what they say they are hearing.

If tubes are working...have at it.

Hope that calms the waters!

Dude, you asked a clear and legitimate question in order to solicit opinions from fellow gear heads. Nothing you did can in any way be construed as designed to initiate an argument or incite a riot. If other people took it that way ignore them, schiit like this cannot be avoided, its the internet.

Nov 15, 2017 at 9:26 PM Post #1,037 of 3,233
Dude, you asked a clear and legitimate question in order to solicit opinions from fellow gear heads. Nothing you did can in any way be construed as designed to initiate an argument or incite a riot. If other people took it that way ignore them, schiit like this cannot be avoided, its the internet.
Thanks for the comments, US Blues (great song by the way). I think we are all lovey dovey now.

But you are right, don't take much of spark to get the flames roaring on this here internet.

Nov 15, 2017 at 9:28 PM Post #1,038 of 3,233
I just like my even order distortion. But we all have all own tastes/ears. But I haven't had anyone listen to my system that when I do the switch between JFET and tube who prefers JFET. But you do need good tubes.

Nov 15, 2017 at 9:52 PM Post #1,039 of 3,233
About tubes or wire?

What's the orthodoxy around here??

Whatever it is, guilty as charged. I'll recant.

Just don't put me in one of them there Iron Maidens (
Thanks for the comments, US Blues (great song by the way). I think we are all lovey dovey now.

But you are right, don't take much of spark to get the flames roaring on this here internet.
I’m calling for a trial by fire for Ghosthouse .
He will have to listen to Vanilla Ice , Simply Red and Donny Osmond for a 24 hour time period .

Nov 15, 2017 at 9:57 PM Post #1,040 of 3,233
Dear Ghosthouse:

When I switch between solid-state/JFET and tube mode, (new production Tung Sols in the gain stage, stock Russian tubes in the buffer stage), I hear minimal/subtle frequency shift, however, I DO hear an appreciable increase in image presentation breadth and depth, particularly depth. Since my initial set-up and sonic assessment, I have moved, and had to install my stereo system in an acoustically less optimal space, resulting in the image presentation differences between solid-state mode and tube mode to somewhat less discernible to me. (In the original set-up, my monitors/tweeters were in excess 2 feet away from the side-walls, and about 8 feet out from the rear wall, now the tweeters are about 12-14 inches from the side walls, and only about 3 feet from the rear walls...(resulting in not allowing the monitors to do that which they do so much better with more space).

Gain differences not withstanding, (and yes, there could possibly be a host of factors affecting the psycho-acoustics of your audio system), and not knowing how your system is set up, (room, furniture, speaker placement, etc.), perhaps there is some aspect of your system that might be tweaked in order to discern some effects that others express that they hear...We audiophiles DO tend to strive to hear those "minute" details that we desire/expect(?) when we spend our hard-earned cash... :) ...

Nov 15, 2017 at 10:01 PM Post #1,041 of 3,233
Huh...I kinda liked Simply Red. Picture Book (I think thats the title) was a strong album. Great sonics.

More orthodoxy that I'm violating? No hope for some of us recidivists.

You'd have to add something like "Starlight Vocal Band" to really make it hurt. Vanilla Ice and Donny alone ain't quite torture enough.

Nov 15, 2017 at 10:49 PM Post #1,042 of 3,233
@Synergist969

Thanks for taking the time to write that up S969. A marked improvement in stage depth would definitely be reason to run tubes more of the time. The listening area is treated with good space (5-6 feet) to the sides of the Forests. GIK panels behind them (and a diffuser between). More GIK panels along side walls but would be nice to be able to get the Forests further out into the room than the 2 1/2 - 3 feet they are right now. Not enough room for that, unfortunately. Even so, depending on recording, I do hear stage depth in JFET mode. Would have to put tubes back in and listen critically to that aspect of the presentation. I don't recall tubes making a big difference in that area previously but have made some other changes that might make what the tubes bring more evident now.

Nov 15, 2017 at 11:17 PM Post #1,043 of 3,233
Huh...I kinda liked Simply Red. Picture Book (I think thats the title) was a strong album. Great sonics.

More orthodoxy that I'm violating? No hope for some of us recidivists.

You'd have to add something like "Starlight Vocal Band" to really make it hurt. Vanilla Ice and Donny alone ain't quite torture enough.
Picture Book is a great album

Nov 15, 2017 at 11:29 PM Post #1,044 of 3,233
@whatcomfalls
hornytoad's "Simply Red" threat made me pull out Picture Book and give it a listen tonight (the first time in quite a while).

A few tracks sound a little dated but there is some great music the deeper in you go... it finishes very strong.

I wish all my redbook CDs sounded as good as that album.

Nov 16, 2017 at 12:01 AM Post #1,045 of 3,233
@whatcomfalls
hornytoad's "Simply Red" threat made me pull out Picture Book and give it a listen tonight (the first time in quite a while).

A few tracks sound a little dated but there is some great music the deeper in you go... it finishes very strong.

Yeah--very good
@whatcomfalls

Yep-their first and best album.

Nov 29, 2017 at 4:10 AM Post #1,046 of 3,233
Here is something which I don't understand. Generally speaking, 6SN7 variants in most preamps, depending upon applied voltages and such, will last for a very extended period of time as long as they don't go microphonic. Yet so many people want to substitute 5692's.

"Using the general audio application of 250 plate volts, a bias of 8 volts resulting in 9ma of current and plate dissipation of 2.25 Watts, we find:

5692 - runs 43 % over maximum rating – It isn’t a 10,000 hour tube when you run it this HOT!"

It's no wonder they are rare!

"6SN7GT - runs 64% of maximum – coasting and liking it
6SN7GTA/GTB - runs 45% of maximum – Hardly turned on, may outlast you."

Now I am to receive my Freya Saturday supposedly, I have a 12AX7 and a 6DJ8 based preamp, but I have been told by someone who's taste in tubes seems to mirror my own that the differences between most 6SN7 variants is far more subtle than between other tube types. Are the 5692's really THAT much better? I am a perfectionist, everything I own, other than the Freya (which I don't posses yet) and my Yggdrasil DAC have been tweaked. Just wondering if they are really worth the money, espescially as they won't last as long as less expensive alternatives, asked the guy who uses V-caps, if you know what I mean. :)

Dec 13, 2017 at 2:44 PM Post #1,047 of 3,233
It is not uncommon if your tubes are microphonic and you're using the tube gain stage. It doesn't necessarily mean the tubes are bad (offensive) however. How do they sound otherwise-when you're not tapping?

I got my Freya today and i'm a bit disappointed as it's hyper sensitive unit (just tube mode). Not just tubes but even tapping power cord or cables gives loud clicking/thumping sound through speakers...
It is connected to two power amps and cd-player.

I was offered to return&refund this unit but is there anything i could try out (tried rotating tubes already)? I was thinking to get new set of 6SN7's and try them first if they help. Also sound has some kind of volume balance problem:
when music has quiet part it plays really quiet and then gets too loud, like there is no balanced middle at all ? Vocals sound ok, a bit thin but ok, details are good.

cheers

Attachments

• SchiitFreya.jpg
    SchiitFreya.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 0
Dec 13, 2017 at 2:57 PM Post #1,048 of 3,233
I got my Freya today and i'm a bit disappointed as it's hyper sensitive unit (just tube mode). Not just tubes but even tapping power cord or cables gives loud clicking/thumping sound through speakers...
It is connected to two power amps and cd-player.

I was offered to return&refund this unit but is there anything i could try out (tried rotating tubes already)? I was thinking to get new set of 6SN7's and try them first if they help. Also sound has some kind of volume balance problem:
when music has quiet part it plays really quiet and then gets too loud, like there is no balanced middle at all ? Vocals sound ok, a bit thin but ok, details are good.

cheers
I would try better tubes for sure . I tossed out the stock tubes long ago (too noisy ) Also , Schiit is coming out with a Solid State tube for Freya which will give you more gain in tube mode . My Freya in Jfet mode is dead quiet .
I ran into some tube vibration issues with some Shungang Treasure tubes I bought so I put some silicone damper rings on them (16 bucks total cost ) and that seems to have reduced noise .

You could have a system mismatch with your amps . I’m using an all Schiit system with Kef ls50’s and vocals are very good , not thin at all .

Dec 13, 2017 at 3:09 PM Post #1,049 of 3,233
ImageM9 specs.jpg Thanks, i don't know about miss match but here are my amps specs. haven't had any problems with previous preamps at all :

I'm gonna try with new tubes and see if it's a keeper. my local tube shop has TungSol 6SN7GTB and 6SN7GT TAD PREMIUM SELECTED ( i think i try 6SN7's not 6SL7's ?) can you recommend either ?

cheers

Last edited:
Dec 13, 2017 at 3:18 PM Post #1,050 of 3,233
Thanks, i don't know about miss match but here are my amps specs. haven't had any problems with previous preamps at all :

I'm gonna try with new tubes and see if it's a keeper. my local tube shop has TungSol 6SN7GTB and 6SN7GT TAD PREMIUM SELECTED ( i think i try 6SN7's not 6SL7's ?) can you recommend either ?

cheers
The Tung Sol new production 6SN7 are much better than the stock tubes , quieter too .Get them matched , tuned for low microphonics . The Shuangang Treasure tubes are even better but more expensive and you may return the unit so I wouldnt go there yet (they also require Tube socket savers to put them in the Freya ) See if your store has some cheap silicone damper rings too .
I know nothing of your mono amps but I see they are also tube ?
Running a tube preamp with a tube amp can get noisy . I prefer tube preamp with a solid state amp .
The Schiit stock tubes really sucked imo and very noisy .

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back