Schiit Freya Impressions and Tube Rolling Thread
Nov 15, 2017 at 7:39 PM Post #1,021 of 3,226
Yes you are trying to start a argument. Be honest.

Nov 15, 2017 at 7:43 PM Post #1,022 of 3,226
Freya tube rollin' guys -
With things like the Psvane or Northern Electrics, are you hearing major improvements over stock Russians or new production like Tung Sol or EH? I'm guessing "yes"???

I'm listening strictly to JFET buffer mode having pulled the tubes. I did try a matched pair of NOS (early '50s) RCAs from Brent Jesse along with some "better quality" NOS Russians from Upscale Audio as well as new production EH. None of these rocked my world. I could hear a little "change" in SQ with tubes but after a couple of sessions I found I preferred the "cleanness" of sound with JFET. Other than the huge jump in gain, I'm not hearing anything especially "tubey" from the Freya in tube mode. I am hearing more significant improvements changing out interconnects. Application is Gungnir MB as input to the Freya; Merrill Audio Taranis and Totem Forest speakers downstream of the Freya. Just wondering about the "scale" of what you are hearing with these better tubes. Not trying to start an argument whatsoever.
Personally - yes I am. Big improvement over the stock tube and some over the NOS ones that I have tried - although to be honest I haven't tried that many. Sound is a funny thing and at the end of the day is subjective in my opinion.

Nov 15, 2017 at 7:44 PM Post #1,023 of 3,226
You are saying all of those that listen to tubes are wrong. If I get your post.

Nov 15, 2017 at 7:51 PM Post #1,025 of 3,226
You are saying all of those that listen to tubes are wrong. If I get your post.
With my Freya I use tube output 99.9% of the time with quad matched Tung-Sol 6SN7GTBs and 0.1% of the time use JFET buffer output. The tubes just sound better to me.

Nov 15, 2017 at 7:55 PM Post #1,027 of 3,226
And we like what it is saying.

Nov 15, 2017 at 7:57 PM Post #1,029 of 3,226
Buke9 - I hope you are joking. I really really really don't care WHAT anybody else listens to OTHER THAN it makes me wonder what I AM missing with tubes in the Freya.
Sorry there was a post that said that only the Jfet was good to listen to if I read it right could be wrong but that is what I saw could be wrong .

Nov 15, 2017 at 7:59 PM Post #1,030 of 3,226
its the gain talking to you .
If it's gain then it certainly sounds more like music to me! By the way in JFET mode I turn the gain up to levels comparable to the tube output level.

Nov 15, 2017 at 8:05 PM Post #1,031 of 3,226
If it's gain then it certainly sounds more like music to me! By the way in JFET mode I turn the gain up to levels comparable to the tube output level.
Well I hope you try the LISST tubes coming out for the Freya and compare them to your best tubes . I will be .

It should be interesting . Shuangang Treasure ,Sophia , RCA Red base vs the LISST tubes !

Nov 15, 2017 at 8:06 PM Post #1,032 of 3,226
Freya tube rollin' guys -
With things like the Psvane or Northern Electrics, are you hearing major improvements over stock Russians or new production like Tung Sol or EH? I'm guessing "yes"???

I'm listening strictly to JFET buffer mode having pulled the tubes. I did try a matched pair of NOS (early '50s) RCAs from Brent Jesse along with some "better quality" NOS Russians from Upscale Audio as well as new production EH. None of these rocked my world. I could hear a little "change" in SQ with tubes but after a couple of sessions I found I preferred the "cleanness" of sound with JFET. Other than the huge jump in gain, I'm not hearing anything especially "tubey" from the Freya in tube mode. I am hearing more significant improvements changing out interconnects. Application is Gungnir MB as input to the Freya; Merrill Audio Taranis and Totem Forest speakers downstream of the Freya. Just wondering about the "scale" of what you are hearing with these better tubes. Not trying to start an argument whatsoever.
When playing music, JFET or passive modes don't sound any cleaner than tube mode to my ears and I could easily live with either mode. I'll stick with tubes until the few remaining quiet tubes (NOS) I have are used up.

Last edited:
Nov 15, 2017 at 8:25 PM Post #1,033 of 3,226
@buke9 -
Nope. Was NOT trying to say in any absolute way that Freya in JFET mode is objectively better than Passive or Tubes. Only that it is my preference.

Unlike the deniers that always seem to pop up whenever the wire topic comes up, I'm not interested in trying to convince anyone else they ain't hearing what they say they are hearing.

If tubes are working...have at it.

Hope that calms the waters!

Nov 15, 2017 at 8:28 PM Post #1,034 of 3,226
@buke9 -
Nope. Was NOT trying to say in any absolute way that Freya in JFET mode is objectively better than Passive or Tubes. Only that it is my preference.

Unlike the deniers that always seem to pop up whenever the wire topic comes up, I'm not interested in trying to convince anyone else they ain't hearing what they say they are hearing.

If tubes are working...have at it.

Hope that calms the waters!
You have committed blasphemy that will require medieval torture of some nature !

Users who are viewing this thread

Back