Schiit Freya Impressions and Tube Rolling Thread
Dec 14, 2017 at 11:36 AM Post #1,068 of 3,203
Thanks, I figured it had to sound better, but as 1 reviewer was torn I was curious. Lots of people like Vandersteen speakers, to me they sound like great speakers with a towel over the tweeter. Tried fixing that on a 2CE Signature by bypassing some crappy caps. It turned it into an ear bleeder, had to pull the bypass and sold them... Love the Yggdrasil and the Freya now that I have found good tubes. With Sylvanias and RCAs I was ready to return it. Now it's my last preamp. My Parasound Halo, Coda 05r, AR LS-15, etc, are soon to be gone.

Dec 14, 2017 at 12:25 PM Post #1,069 of 3,203
Thanks, I wonder, were Northern Electric manufactures or did they sell tubes with their ink and packaging made by other manufactures? My knowledge of such things is usually pretty limited.
They are a Canadian Manufacturer.
From the website: "Northern Electric had a rich history of producing high quality audio products and vacuum tubes in Canada. We are now re-introducing this classic brand and bringing to you the highest quality tubes possible."
I believe they are building them themselves. I bought mine from The Tube Store http://www.thetubestore.com/Tubes/6SN7-Tube-Types/Northern-Electric-6SN7

Dec 14, 2017 at 1:30 PM Post #1,070 of 3,203
Awesome, do they sound as good as the Treasures? I'd love to see tubes take back the audio market, I know it's never going to happen, but it's great that folks are making good sounding tubes these days. I'll have to look into getting some!

Dec 14, 2017 at 3:20 PM Post #1,072 of 3,203
Those look like Treasures, are they made in China? I stand corrected, they look like Psvane Treasure II'S, which I believe are made by the factory that makes the Treasures.
They are actually somewhat smaller than the Treasures. You can use them in the Freya without tube savers. There's no indication on the packaging that they are made in China. They simply say Northern Electric, Canada on the packaging so not sure. I very much like the sound of them though.

Dec 14, 2017 at 3:36 PM Post #1,073 of 3,203
There is no tube manufacturing in the Americas. To the best of my knowledge the only tube manufacturers are in Eastern Europe, Russia and China.

Dec 14, 2017 at 6:15 PM Post #1,074 of 3,203
Dec 14, 2017 at 9:04 PM Post #1,075 of 3,203
I saw the name and Canada on the front of the box, but since it didn't say made in Canada I was curious about the actual nation of manufacture. Anyway, I suppose that it ultimately doesn't matter, I just prefer to buy from nations friendly to freedom within their own boarders. So I am guessing that they compair favorably to the Treasures sonicly speaking as you are using them. Do they also lay claim to a 50K hours lifetime?

Last edited:
Dec 14, 2017 at 9:10 PM Post #1,076 of 3,203
There is no tube manufacturing in the Americas. To the best of my knowledge the only tube manufacturers are in Eastern Europe, Russia and China.

That's what I thought. Their words looked like they were phrased to make it SOUND like they are made in Canada when they were actually not. Either way though, that there are great sounding tubes being made currently is good news!

Dec 14, 2017 at 9:36 PM Post #1,077 of 3,203
A buzzing sound can be created by tube vibration . Tube dampers might help .
While this is true, I think his problem is Freya simply has too much gain in his system. Return it.

Dec 14, 2017 at 9:54 PM Post #1,078 of 3,203
My system is PC -> Eitr -> Yggy -> Freya (tube mode) -> 2 Vidars -> Spatial M3 Triode Master. I have 6F8Gs in gain and 6C8Gs in buffer. Both of these tube types tend to be more microphonic than 6SN7s. I did have intermittent noise issues, but all was solved when I put a large weight (granite mortar & pestle) on the Freya and Herbie's tube dampeners on the tubes. The weight makes more of a difference. Picture is pre dampeners.
J6y1Gtz.jpg

J6y1Gtz

Last edited:
Dec 14, 2017 at 10:44 PM Post #1,079 of 3,203
While this is true, I think his problem is Freya simply has too much gain in his system. Return it.

How so? You control the gain sent to your amp with the volume knob. Unity gain, no gain, or uber gain x volts/current out require x volts or current in, you merely adjust the volume level between sources.

Dec 14, 2017 at 10:51 PM Post #1,080 of 3,203
What I'm saying is compared to passive and JFET modes, Tube mode has significantly more gain. I too have audible noise with tube mode. Higher efficiency speakers or high power amps will make the noise more obvious, as always IMO, YMMV.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back