Schiit Fire and Save Matches! Bifrost Multibit is Here.
Jan 20, 2016 at 11:27 AM Post #1,771 of 2,799
  This may be just what you need.
http://schiit.com/products/wyrd

That sure is Wyrd....

I've actually really considered getting a Wyrd to see if it'll fix my issues.  If I had a proper headphone recording rig I would definitely make a video just to show how strange computer noise can really be.

Jan 20, 2016 at 1:04 PM Post #1,773 of 2,799

I wouldn't say he's an imbecile, but there's a certain subset of audiophiles who took NwAvGuy's writing as gospel. "Nothing is needed beyond the ODAC." They're just as delusional as the guys that buy $50,000 systems. I do believe that multibit DACs reproduce the audio waveform more accurately. I can hear the difference, I'm not crazy. So frustrating to constantly defend something and be treated like we're sheep just waiting to be fleeced by Schiit or any other company that claims to offer better sound quality.

This is just speculation, but I would say a lot of people who believe there is no difference between DACs tend to be very young and may not have much money. It's easier to be happy with a piece of kit if you think spending more money doesn't make any difference. This is IMHO and YMMV.

Some people may not hear a difference between DACs, like the guy in the review. This is fine. We don't all get tickled by a Rembrandt, appreciate pricey fine wine or enjoy a fast car. Just because you don't hear a difference, though, doesn't mean someone else cannot hear a difference. These types shouldn't impose their subjective reality and perceptions on others.

By the same token, some people may hear a difference between DACs. This is fine, too, for the same reasons. But again, just because you can hear a difference, it doesn't mean someone else can hear a difference. These types shouldn't impose their subjective reality and perceptions on others, either.

Jason Stoddard has alluded on occasion to a continuum, from "no difference" to "day and night difference". I would add to this that people may be hearing differences between DACs consciously or unconsciously. Traditional ABX blind testing requires conscious perceptions, the capability to immediately spot what is different and point a finger. I reckon that people who fall into the "I may not hear the difference, but I enjoy music from my Bifrost Multibit more than I did with Uber" category are most likely perceiving differences unconsciously; they would definitely not be able to point a finger in ABX DBT, which doesn't mean a difference doesn't exist or is not perceived.

Jan 20, 2016 at 1:22 PM Post #1,774 of 2,799

Some people may not hear a difference between DACs, like the guy in the review. This is fine. We don't all get tickled by a Rembrandt, appreciate pricey fine wine or enjoy a fast car. Just because you don't hear a difference, though, doesn't mean someone else cannot hear a difference. These types shouldn't impose their subjective reality and perceptions on others.

By the same token, some people may hear a difference between DACs. This is fine, too, for the same reasons. But again, just because you can hear a difference, it doesn't mean someone else can hear a difference. These types shouldn't impose their subjective reality and perceptions on others, either.

Jason Stoddard has alluded on occasion to a continuum, from "no difference" to "day and night difference". I would add to this that people may be hearing differences between DACs consciously or unconsciously. Traditional ABX blind testing requires conscious perceptions, the capability to immediately spot what is different and point a finger. I reckon that people who fall into the "I may not hear the difference, but I enjoy music from my Bifrost Multibit more than I did with Uber" category are most likely perceiving differences unconsciously; they would definitely not be able to point a finger in ABX DBT, which doesn't mean a difference doesn't exist or is not perceived.

Extremely well-written. +1

Jan 20, 2016 at 1:34 PM Post #1,775 of 2,799
  And now for perhaps one of the most controversial reviews ever.  Tell me what you guys think.

This has been my experience with good DAC units as well. I have heard a ton of DACs including the ODAC, m903, Ygg, and a slew of cheap stuff. The very cheap DACs have some noise issues, but overall I experience good DACs the same. It comes down to being very honest with yourself and to not fall too much for the buyers bias which early on in my audio quest I have been guilty of falling into.

Jan 20, 2016 at 2:23 PM Post #1,776 of 2,799

This is just speculation, but I would say a lot of people who believe there is no difference between DACs tend to be very young and may not have much money. It's easier to be happy with a piece of kit if you think spending more money doesn't make any difference. This is IMHO and YMMV.

The very opposite could be argued about technically incompetent people who have entirely too much money, dropping tons of cash for placebo audio gear, spending hours on forums to convince themselves that they hear a difference :p

Jan 20, 2016 at 2:31 PM Post #1,777 of 2,799
Had a multibit-only mini-meet this past weekend.

The argument there, because there were such tremendous differences between the DACs, was that the multi-verse has opened up a whole new world of DACs. That is, one of the members was part of the December DAC comparison of 2013. He's heard so many different DACs of many different price ranges, and they all sounded basically about the same. But here we were listening to three DACs, and they were each different from the very first note (we listened to a lot of Take 5, over, and over).

Jan 20, 2016 at 2:35 PM Post #1,778 of 2,799
  Life too short for so much rambling. The first few minutes were enough to never want to watch him ever again.

Actually, while the beginning of the video kind of sounds like it's going to be a long rambling, which is not my cup of tea either, you might want to watch it entirely, at the end of the video the guy makes what I think is a pretty honest assessment. It's just one man's opinion.

Jan 20, 2016 at 2:41 PM Post #1,779 of 2,799
  The very opposite could be argued about technically incompetent people who have entirely too much money, dropping tons of cash for placebo audio gear, spending hours on forums to convince themselves that they hear a difference :p

Technical ability or knowledge has nothing to do with what a person hears or doesn't hear. If somebody buys a piece of gear and thinks it sounds better to them, then that's all that matters. Especially if that perceived difference doesn't go away.

Jan 20, 2016 at 2:57 PM Post #1,780 of 2,799
Jan 20, 2016 at 3:26 PM Post #1,781 of 2,799

Actually, while the beginning of the video kind of sounds like it's going to be a long rambling, which is not my cup of tea either, you might want to watch it entirely, at the end of the video the guy makes what I think is a pretty honest assessment. It's just one man's opinion.

The reason I sent it to him is so he would have absolutely no buyers-bias with the Bimby, and I'm glad Zeos didn't fluff up his opinion at all.

Jan 20, 2016 at 5:08 PM Post #1,783 of 2,799
  Had a multibit-only mini-meet this past weekend.

The argument there, because there were such tremendous differences between the DACs, was that the multi-verse has opened up a whole new world of DACs. That is, one of the members was part of the December DAC comparison of 2013. He's heard so many different DACs of many different price ranges, and they all sounded basically about the same. But here we were listening to three DACs, and they were each different from the very first note (we listened to a lot of Take 5, over, and over).

Did you compare the Mojo to the Bimby? What other DACs? Would love a little write-up of your findings.

Jan 20, 2016 at 5:13 PM Post #1,784 of 2,799

Did you compare the Mojo to the Bimby? What other DACs? Would love a little write-up of your findings.

I'm losing track of the nicknames...which one is the Mojo?

Jan 20, 2016 at 5:14 PM Post #1,785 of 2,799

Thanks. But does it work as Linux, like on any computer? From their page it looks like it works only as embedded on systems like Raspberry Pi...

Yes it does. I ssh into my Raspberry Pi that's running Volumio to administer it.

edit: I misread your post, and thought you were asking whether it is a normal Linux system. I have no idea whether it'll work on a PC.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back