Schiit Fire and Save Matches! Bifrost Multibit is Here.
Jan 17, 2016 at 8:30 PM Post #1,741 of 2,799

Besides the Multibit, I also just started using Fidelizer Pro with my flac files and Foobar2000 (and Spotify). 
That has proved to be one incredible one-two punch on my little setup.  Holography and overall "presence" skyrocketed.
Getting real close to a sense of actually being there at times.  Everything seems new.  And the cost for this leap has been relatively minor.
(Multibit upgrade $250, Fidelizer Pro $69.95 after trying the free version)

Out of curiosity, I looked at reviews of Fidelizer Pro, what it does is to rearrange Windows task priorities, kernel timers, and daemons to make Windows a little more like a realtime OS for digital audio. Great hack, for sure, but more evidence that trying to use Windows as a quality digital audio source is a never-ending Sisyphean struggle. I can buy a nice 2Tb SSD drive for $100 and a small low-power ARM computer for around $100, and run a free audio-targeted Linux distro to provide a nice no-fuss stand-alone music server. Sigh.

Jan 17, 2016 at 9:31 PM Post #1,742 of 2,799
Windows issues with sound are way overblown... WASAPI subsystem in 7/8.1/10 works just fine without any software snake oil.

Jan 18, 2016 at 3:26 PM Post #1,745 of 2,799
Jan 18, 2016 at 5:37 PM Post #1,746 of 2,799
I got a nice surprise today, my Bifrost MB arrived 3 days sooner than expected. I moved the Bifrost 4490 out of my main system and put the MB in its place. Having a quick out of the box listen through my speaker system and it certainly sounds good. Quite a step up from the 4490. Anyway I'm just going to feed music through it 24/7 (switch to closed back headphones during the night) for the next 4 days and let it settle in before I do any detailed assessment.

Jan 18, 2016 at 7:38 PM Post #1,747 of 2,799
I got a nice surprise today, my Bifrost MB arrived 3 days sooner than expected. I moved the Bifrost 4490 out of my main system and put the MB in its place. Having a quick out of the box listen through my speaker system and it certainly sounds good. Quite a step up from the 4490. Anyway I'm just going to feed music through it 24/7 (switch to closed back headphones during the night) for the next 4 days and let it settle in before I do any detailed assessment.

Will be real interested in your impressions...and the comparison with the 4490.

Jan 19, 2016 at 7:59 AM Post #1,749 of 2,799
Just adding to everyone else in this thread, I got the Bimby this weekend and have had so much trouble tearing myself away from it. Now that's its broken in a couple days, it's really sunken in what an achievement this (relatively small and expensive) thing is. Schiit knows the future, and its full of Multibit and SuperBurritos.

Jan 19, 2016 at 2:13 PM Post #1,751 of 2,799
Two days with this guy. It has replaced the ConceroHD in the rig in my sig. First impression, clearer and sharper image. More sense of space. So far, an improvement.

That's pretty cool to read. I'm thinking of getting another DAC for my work computer. I've been taking the Concero HD back and forth every day, but I'm tired of it. I thought about getting the bimby multibit and just leaving it out here at the office. I guess it would be a bonus if it sounds better than the HD. You still think so?

Jan 19, 2016 at 2:42 PM Post #1,752 of 2,799
  That's pretty cool to read. I'm thinking of getting another DAC for my work computer. I've been taking the Concero HD back and forth every day, but I'm tired of it. I thought about getting the bimby multibit and just leaving it out here at the office. I guess it would be a bonus if it sounds better than the HD. You still think so?

No doubt.

Jan 19, 2016 at 3:09 PM Post #1,753 of 2,799

yes you should do it 
wink.gif

Jan 19, 2016 at 4:39 PM Post #1,754 of 2,799
  ... I guess it would be a bonus if it sounds better than the HD. You still think so?

Impressions after about 50hrs:

Bifrost MB compared to the ConceroHD, both running USB from the same rig (Lenovo Desktop PC -> Pangea PC USB cable -> iFi iUSB2.0 -> iFi Gemini USB cable -> DAC -> Audioquest Red River RCA interconnects -> Burson Soloist -> Audeze LCD-XC with stock cable.  Listening is 44.1/16 and 24 as well as some 88.2/24.  Many tracks were on Tidal in CD quality.

Bifrost Pros vs ConceroHD
There is more detail
More realistic timbre across the board, less hashy/fuzzy sounding
Better stereo image placement and wider
More ambience

ConceroHD Pros vs Bifrost
Quieter background
More bass (not sure how to quantify it yet)
Can particularly make female vocals sound up close and realistic
Less "gritty/grainy/forward" than Bifrost MB, but in exchange for "fuzziness/softness"  (The Bifrost MB might need more break-in in this regard.)

*I also tried running the ConceroHD as a "USB to SPDIF" converter, but I found the sound to be not as good.  I was also using a cheap interconnect, but it seemed that the ConceroHD has more noise on the SPDIF output than the analog outs.  Even without playing a signal, just attaching the RCA coax between the ConceroHD and the Brifrost MB caused a hissing sound if I rolled the volume up on the Soloist (a test I always do for noise...the Soloist is very quiet).

Jan 19, 2016 at 4:52 PM Post #1,755 of 2,799
  Impressions after about 50hrs:

Bifrost MB compared to the ConceroHD, both running USB from the same rig (Lenovo Desktop PC -> Pangea PC USB cable -> iFi iUSB2.0 -> iFi Gemini USB cable -> DAC -> Audioquest Red River RCA interconnects -> Burson Soloist -> Audeze LCD-XC with stock cable.  Listening is 44.1/16 and 24 as well as some 88.2/24.  Many tracks were on Tidal in CD quality.

Bifrost Pros vs ConceroHD
There is more detail
More realistic timbre across the board, less hashy/fuzzy sounding
Better stereo image placement and wider
More ambience

ConceroHD Pros vs Bifrost
Quieter background
More bass (not sure how to quantify it yet)
Can particularly make female vocals sound up close and realistic
Less "gritty/grainy/forward" than Bifrost MB, but in exchange for "fuzziness/softness"  (The Bifrost MB might need more break-in in this regard.)

*I also tried running the ConceroHD as a "USB to SPDIF" converter, but I found the sound to be not as good.  I was also using a cheap interconnect, but it seemed that the ConceroHD has more noise on the SPDIF output than the analog outs.  Even without playing a signal, just attaching the RCA coax between the ConceroHD and the Brifrost MB caused a hissing sound if I rolled the volume up on the Soloist (a test I always do for noise...the Soloist is very quiet).

Nice comparison. I have heard people saying that "digital graininess" on the Bifrost goes away after a couple days. As an aside, I wish more people compared the Bimby to the Chord Mojo. I've seen a couple other comparisons to the ZDac, one person said it sounded better than the Bimby but IDK. I'm like 90 percent certain I made the right choice with the Bimby. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back