Schiit Fire and Save Matches! Bifrost Multibit is Here.
Jan 13, 2016 at 4:01 PM Post #1,666 of 2,799

Oh yeah, that too. Holophonics are amazeballs. Remember me talking about how the Polaris was adding 'shapes' to the sound. It's about 10x that with the BiMBy. But it seems like the bass is also more quantitative.

Good lord Buddha, I'm in love with this sound. I usually put the headphones on and write whenever I get free time but I keep getting pulled away by what's going on in the music.

Also, my tendency to sing along with the music has risen considerably, even for the stuff I know very well.

yea thats what i was talking about 

Jan 13, 2016 at 5:52 PM Post #1,668 of 2,799
Holy Schiit, I finally have a sound stage with my HE-500. Also, there's more bass. I didn't expect it. Still a little sibilant and shouty, but I'm wondering if that's what was there and I didn't hear it before. Also, I have less than an hour on the thing.  

Can someone explain why I'd have more bass and a better sound stage with a DAC change? I mean...mechanically or electrically, what's going on there?

Now...

(How do I hide this huge chunk of metal from girlfriend?)

You might look to the fuzzor mod on the HE-500s (a huge thread on it here on head-fi). I've experimented with it and really liked the subtle changes. I didn't care for applying across the entire surface (muted it too much for me). I'd recommend you check out that thread :)

Btw, thanks for the feedback! Damn I need to scrape up some cash (ie. time to sell something).

What inputs have you used? I've been happy with the Gustatd U12 performing the Usb -> spdif conversion.

Jan 13, 2016 at 5:54 PM Post #1,669 of 2,799
I ordered the Schiit Multibit.

It will replace my recently upgraded Bifrost Über-to-Bifrost 4490 in my main 2 channel and headphone setups.

The Bifrost 4490 will join my newly acquired Vali 2 (X5ii line out, as source) at my bedside table.

Yup I've spent a schiit load on upgrade-itis!

Jan 13, 2016 at 6:05 PM Post #1,670 of 2,799
I ordered the Schiit Multibit.

It will replace my recently upgraded Bifrost Über-to-Bifrost 4490 in my main 2 channel and headphone setups.

The Bifrost 4490 will join my newly acquired Vali 2 (X5ii line out, as source) at my bedside table.

Yup I've spent a schiit load on upgrade-itis!

would love know what are your thoughts on the differences between 4490 and the bimby

Jan 13, 2016 at 6:48 PM Post #1,672 of 2,799
I should be able to compare the 4490 Bifrost to the Grace Design m903 over the next few days and will try to post a brief summary in this thread.

Jan 13, 2016 at 7:00 PM Post #1,673 of 2,799
Jan 13, 2016 at 7:48 PM Post #1,674 of 2,799
Received the Bifrost 4490 today and will post in that thread with my comparisons as I do not want to interfere with the Multibit discussion.

Cheers all!

Jan 14, 2016 at 12:43 AM Post #1,675 of 2,799
I just got mine in two days ago after sending to Zeos for review and I'm experiencing the same exact thing as @disastermouse.

Last night I was listening to Symphony No. 5 in E-Flat Major, Op. 82: III. Allegro molto: Largamente assai by the Lahti Symphony Orchestra and Osmo Vanska.  There's a part in the song at 3:20 where the entire orchestra drops down to a pianissimo volume level, and I had to take off my headphones because I thought my headphone amp had cut out and the sound was just coming through my computer speakers for some reason.....but it wasn't.

That's the level of soundstage the Bimby achieved, a point at which I was simply taking my headphones on and off and being awestruck by how the music didn't sound like it was coming from my cans at all.

Jan 14, 2016 at 1:11 AM Post #1,676 of 2,799
I just got mine in two days ago after sending to Zeos for review and I'm experiencing the same exact thing as @disastermouse

Last night I was listening to Symphony No. 5 in E-Flat Major, Op. 82: III. Allegro molto: Largamente assai
 by the Lahti Symphony Orchestra and Osmo Vanska.  There's a part in the song at 3:20 where the entire orchestra drops down to a pianissimo volume level, and I had to take off my headphones because I thought my headphone amp had cut out and the sound was just coming through my computer speakers for some reason.....but it wasn't.

[COLOR=000000]That's
 the level of soundstage the Bimby achieved, a point at which I was simply taking my headphones on and off and being awestruck by how the music didn't sound like it was coming from my cans at all.
[/color]

Which headphone? I'm on mobile and can't see signatures.

Jan 14, 2016 at 1:14 AM Post #1,678 of 2,799
Alpha Dog

Did you expect the DAC change to make as much difference as it did? As I've said, it totally took me by (pleasant) surprise.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back