Schiit Fire and Save Matches! Bifrost Multibit is Here.
Jan 14, 2016 at 10:51 AM Post #1,681 of 2,799
The sound staging on loudspeakers is great! You definitely get sucked into the music. I have a bitch of a time pulling myself away.

This is what Yggdrasil did to my main 2-channel system.

Jan 14, 2016 at 10:53 AM Post #1,682 of 2,799
Hmm. Now I'm eager to plug Bimby into my speaker system...

Jan 14, 2016 at 2:14 PM Post #1,686 of 2,799
I had posted earlier in this thread about a distortion issue I was having that I assumed was caused by my new Bimby.  It turns out that it is not my Bimby that was causing the problem.  It was my power amp.  Mea culpa!

Jan 14, 2016 at 2:35 PM Post #1,687 of 2,799
  Which DAC did you upgrade from, and what kind of speakers?

I was Using a Modi 2 U but had borrowed a Bifrost Uber and was planning to by that when the MB was released. The Speakers Are Elac B6's but previously they were Mackie MR5 MkII. There are things that you will have hard time discerning in Headphones like how much wider the sound stage becomes and the phantom image that well placed speakers can produce.

Jan 15, 2016 at 5:09 AM Post #1,689 of 2,799
so the general impressions on jumping from something like Modi2U/ BifrostU to Bimby is wider soundstage, added weight/ deeper bass, overall clarity boost and realism?

I didn't go from Modi, so I don't know, but from MSii+ it was jaw-dropping. I thought the HE-500 sound stage was microscopic even with an upgraded amp, but BiMBy opened it up. String echoes, timber of the drum heads being different, non-vocalist band member movement noises, cracks or micro-variances in vocal tune.

When I got the Polaris, I found that some percussive elements had 'shape' to them. When I upgraded the DAC to BiMBy, all but the most intentionally flat synth sounds have shape, especially in uncongested passages.

Music based entirely on samples suffers in comparison (Stunt Rock, for instance). Anything with higher Rez samples or acoustic instruments do better.

Jan 15, 2016 at 5:21 AM Post #1,691 of 2,799
thanks, would you be able to listen to a few tracks from the alice in chains dirt album to let me know if it benifits? prefrebly with the 650s if you still have them.

Maybe when I get out of work. I'm pretty sure my amp settings are supposed to be the same for HE-500 and HD650.

I didn't listen to the Dirt album on the old setup, but it was a fave of mine back when it came out (Jar of Flies did nothing for me).

Jan 15, 2016 at 12:23 PM Post #1,692 of 2,799
  so the general impressions on jumping from something like Modi2U/ BifrostU to Bimby is wider soundstage, added weight/ deeper bass, overall clarity boost and realism?

not really, they are vastly different.  Modi2U sounds nothing like the Bimby.  Consider going from bike with training wheels to motorcycle as an analogy. 
biggrin.gif

Jan 15, 2016 at 2:29 PM Post #1,695 of 2,799
thanks, would you be able to listen to a few tracks from the alice in chains dirt album to let me know if it benifits? prefrebly with the 650s if you still have them.
Ive played it but not on 650's. I usually use 560's or t1's for rock. But that album definitely sounds better through bimby. U2's albums are scary good. Ill give it a go on 650's tonight.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back