Schiit Fire and Save Matches! Bifrost Multibit is Here.
Jan 15, 2016 at 6:34 PM Post #1,696 of 2,799
Two days with this guy. It has replaced the ConceroHD in the rig in my sig. First impression, clearer and sharper image. More sense of space. So far, an improvement.

Jan 16, 2016 at 10:28 AM Post #1,698 of 2,799
Just got my Bimby in, sounds great so far!

Out of curiosity, is it only the multibit version that has the 15-second blinking startup sequence? Is the 4490 basically instant-on like the original Bifrost that I had a few years ago?

Jan 16, 2016 at 10:33 AM Post #1,699 of 2,799
  Just got my Bimby in, sounds great so far!

Out of curiosity, is it only the multibit version that has the 15-second blinking startup sequence? Is the 4490 basically instant-on like the original Bifrost that I had a few years ago?

My advice (repeating the advice of Mike Moffat) is to plug it in, turn it on, and never ever turn it off.

Jan 16, 2016 at 10:37 AM Post #1,701 of 2,799
So this may be a silly question....but as someone who has never had a Bifrost before....is there a way to tell for certain that I got the Multibit version? Sample rate support? It sounds great but I have no other reference, so for all I know it's the DS version. I seriously doubt Schiit would ship the wrong thing, but I want to know for sure.

Jan 16, 2016 at 10:50 AM Post #1,702 of 2,799
So this may be a silly question....but as someone who has never had a Bifrost before....is there a way to tell for certain that I got the Multibit version? Sample rate support? It sounds great but I have no other reference, so for all I know it's the DS version. I seriously doubt Schiit would ship the wrong thing, but I want to know for sure.

Mine has a sticker that indicates multibit.

Jan 16, 2016 at 10:56 AM Post #1,705 of 2,799
Yes it will have a numbered MB sticker on the back. Boot up will cycle the input lights for a few moments also.

Gotcha, didn't see it at first, it's small and horizontal and on the side. Plugged it in the second I got it haha. Cannot wait for the 4-hour initial break-in to be over, but I'm already head over heels about this thing.

Jan 16, 2016 at 10:57 AM Post #1,706 of 2,799

Gotcha, didn't see it at first, it's small and horizontal and on the side. Plugged it in the second I got it haha. Cannot wait for the 4-hour initial break-in to be over, but I'm already head over heels about this thing.

It's been the most amazing upgrade to my system mostly because I really never expected that a DAC would make that much difference. 

Jan 16, 2016 at 11:12 AM Post #1,707 of 2,799

It's been the most amazing upgrade to my system mostly because I really never expected that a DAC would make that much difference. 

nice to know that was not being crazy when i was posting my experience with bimby
biggrin.gif

Jan 16, 2016 at 11:31 AM Post #1,708 of 2,799
  nice to know that was not being crazy when i was posting my experience with bimby
biggrin.gif

I don't know, man - we've never done a blind A/B about crazy. Maybe we're both touched in the same way.

Jan 16, 2016 at 12:38 PM Post #1,709 of 2,799
I just got mine.  If it's better than the ODAC, it's slight, but I'll wait for burn-in and more listening.  My initial A/B did seem to notice that the Bimby was a little cleaner and more natural sounding, but I could have been biased because of "new-toy syndrome." :)

Jan 16, 2016 at 12:51 PM Post #1,710 of 2,799

Heh heh...I have been trying to nail down a satisfying sound out of my main 2 channel system for years by upgrading cables, interconnects and power cords. Mild improvements did occur but then I thought perhaps an outboard stand alone DAC is something I should try. A year and a half ago I placed a Bifrost Über into my system and suddenly the system that I had been labouring over finally arrived. Will I upgrade my Bifrost to MB? Too soon to say for sure but as the saying goes "don't fix it if it ain't broke" keeps crossing my mind.

I really liked the Uber too. But trust me on this one. Get the Multibit. You'll never look back.

OK I'm going to trust you, I ordered one and I should have it late next week.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back