Schiit Fire and Save Matches! Bifrost Multibit is Here.
Jan 13, 2016 at 2:19 PM Post #1,651 of 2,799
Holy Schiit, I finally have a sound stage with my HE-500. Also, there's more bass. I didn't expect it. Still a little sibilant and shouty, but I'm wondering if that's what was there and I didn't hear it before. Also, I have less than an hour on the thing.  

Can someone explain why I'd have more bass and a better sound stage with a DAC change? I mean...mechanically or electrically, what's going on there?

Now...

(How do I hide this huge chunk of metal from girlfriend?)
You getting more information/ music. Everything sounds bigger/ fuller.

Jan 13, 2016 at 2:23 PM Post #1,652 of 2,799
You getting more information/ music. Everything sounds bigger/ fuller.

Oh yeah, that too. Holophonics are amazeballs. Remember me talking about how the Polaris was adding 'shapes' to the sound. It's about 10x that with the BiMBy. But it seems like the bass is also more quantitative.

Good lord Buddha, I'm in love with this sound. I usually put the headphones on and write whenever I get free time but I keep getting pulled away by what's going on in the music.

Also, my tendency to sing along with the music has risen considerably, even for the stuff I know very well.

Jan 13, 2016 at 2:34 PM Post #1,653 of 2,799
Oh yeah, that too. Holophonics are amazeballs. Remember me talking about how the Polaris was adding 'shapes' to the sound. It's about 10x that with the BiMBy. But it seems like the bass is also more quantitative.

Good lord Buddha, I'm in love with this sound. I usually put the headphones on and write whenever I get free time but I keep getting pulled away by what's going on in the music.

Also, my tendency to sing along with the music has risen considerably, even for the stuff I know very well.
I glad you like it. It is difficult to explain how good it sounds. You actually have to hear for yourself to really get the whole experience. Everyone who visits and hears my system for the first time are like, what kind of headphones are those? most people who aren't into this immediately say are those beats? No Bose? Hifi who?

Jan 13, 2016 at 2:50 PM Post #1,654 of 2,799
I glad you like it. It is difficult to explain how good it sounds. You actually have to hear for yourself to really get the whole experience. Everyone who visits and hears my system for the first time are like, what kind of headphones are those? most people who aren't into this immediately say are those beats? No Bose? Hifi who?

People mistake HiFiMan headphones for Beats?

Jan 13, 2016 at 2:51 PM Post #1,655 of 2,799
I think the soundstage difference you're hearing comes from the custom DSP "no missing bits" algorithm. I have a Theta DAC I listen to along with the Bifrost MB and they both have a much better imaging and soundstage than the Bifrost Uber. The Theta was the first DAC I heard that opened my ears and really shocked me at how much a difference a DAC can make. The Uber was shipped back to Schiit the first day the MB upgrade launched.

I still prefer the Theta for most of my music because of its "weighty" sound that just drives everything with impact. I think the "weightier" sound I'm getting has more to do with the 4V output and synergy with my amp. The Bifrost MB has noticeably more accurate highs, I can hear more texture from cymbals splashing and hi hat. The Bifrost MB though is also a keeper and I'm holding onto it for the day the Theta poops out on me.

I feel though that the DSP algorithm is what makes the music sound so real and instruments spaced out deeper than the cups of your headphones.

Jan 13, 2016 at 3:01 PM Post #1,656 of 2,799
Peo
People mistake HiFiMan headphones for Beats?
people I know who aren't in the hobby immediately associate good headphones to the consumer pushed products like beats, Bose, there's another one I can't think of. They don't know anything about hifiman, Audeze, sennheiser, etc. I gave my father a small setup I had with a pair of grados and he was amazed at the clarity.

Jan 13, 2016 at 3:08 PM Post #1,657 of 2,799
Peo
people I know who aren't in the hobby immediately associate good headphones to the consumer pushed products like beats, Bose, there's another one I can't think of. They don't know anything about hifiman, Audeze, sennheiser, etc. I gave my father a small setup I had with a pair of grados and he was amazed at the clarity.

I know, but the only thing going for Beats (for the price) is the styling. I can see mistaking some of the lower Senns for Beats because they've also got style, but HiFiMan? My HE-500 look straight out of the 70s. Heck, a digital version would look right at home in Fallout 4. It's heavy enough to use as a melee weapon in Fallout, actually.

Jan 13, 2016 at 3:16 PM Post #1,660 of 2,799
Peo

Agree, it's like if people only know Ford and Chevy, they will ask if your Maserati (or Kia or whatever) is a Ford or Chevy.

At stores this weekend, I parked near a Verizon store.  Only thing I could see from 100 feet away were 6 foot high stacks of Beats.  I went into the sporting goods store, and by the registers there were Beats displays, all lit up and playing hi-def Beats videos on flat screens.  High-end headphones will never ever have the marketing muscle to compete with that.

Jan 13, 2016 at 3:17 PM Post #1,661 of 2,799
Jan 13, 2016 at 3:18 PM Post #1,662 of 2,799
Most people aren't going to shell out that kind of money on gear like we do either. For the holidays I had my hd800's out and my sisters were there with their families. When I told them I paid 1k for them my older sister said I should go have my head checked.

Jan 13, 2016 at 3:18 PM Post #1,663 of 2,799
  Agree, it's like if people only know Ford and Chevy, they will ask if your Maserati (or Kia or whatever) is a Ford or Chevy.

At stores this weekend, I parked near a Verizon store.  Only thing I could see from 100 feet away were 6 foot high stacks of Beats.  I went into the sporting goods store, and by the registers there were Beats displays, all lit up and playing hi-def Beats videos on flat screens.  High-end headphones will never ever have the marketing muscle to compete with that.

Well, head-fi works well as a marketing platform. I don't know if Schiit would be growing the way it is if it didn't function that way.  

Does HiFiMan even have a closed headphone?

Jan 13, 2016 at 3:30 PM Post #1,664 of 2,799

Well, head-fi works well as a marketing platform. I don't know if Schiit would be growing the way it is if it didn't function that way.  

That's true.  But we're still a niche market.  Beats sells a thousand units for every Schiit or HiFiMan unit sold.

And, it's not like "our" headphones are expensive compared to Beats.  Their most popular models are $200-$400 - so are ours!

Jan 13, 2016 at 3:35 PM Post #1,665 of 2,799
  That's true.  But we're still a niche market.  Beats sells a thousand units for every Schiit or HiFiMan unit sold.

And, it's not like "our" headphones are expensive compared to Beats.  Their most popular models are $200-$400 - so are ours!

Well, thank Sidd that Apple bought them! I've been hearing for years that Apple is 'beleaguered' and they probably really need something to help them make money.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back