Schiit Fire and Save Matches! Bifrost Multibit is Here.
Nov 15, 2015 at 4:13 PM Post #1,158 of 2,799
Nov 15, 2015 at 4:20 PM Post #1,159 of 2,799
Between the link I posted and the one that Jimmers posted, there is as much as one can tell without having the equipment in front of you.

Nov 15, 2015 at 4:42 PM Post #1,160 of 2,799
There's a link I posted about 2 weeks back on this thread that goes further into depth when JJ and Bob got together and compared the two. Between these two, they can go on and on about gear non stop for hours. The knowledge is great to listen to at our mini - meets.
Between the link I posted and the one that Jimmers posted, there is as much as one can tell without having the equipment in front of you.

Nov 15, 2015 at 5:29 PM Post #1,162 of 2,799
When I see a $55k headphone/amp set, I realize how sick this hobby can be.

Since you make a point of having this sentence in every post, I have to comment at least once.

I cannot think of anything less sick in the world than spending a lot of money on listening to music.

Outside of charity, that is the least sick thing to spend money on.

"Sick" is what happened on November 13th.

Nov 15, 2015 at 6:18 PM Post #1,163 of 2,799
Cool story bro. Cheers

Since you make a point of having this sentence in every post, I have to comment at least once.

I cannot think of anything less sick in the world than spending a lot of money on listening to music.

Outside of charity, that is the least sick thing to spend money on.

Nov 15, 2015 at 11:23 PM Post #1,164 of 2,799
I cannot think of anything less sick in the world than spending a lot of money on listening to music  

Offtopic, but travelling, seeing and exploring the world is always nice.

Nov 17, 2015 at 3:06 PM Post #1,165 of 2,799
New to Head-fi and relatively new to the cans game, but a long time lover of Schiit and good audio.  I just got my Bifrost Multibit upgrade a few days ago and have been consistently pleased with the results.  It's definitely given me that spine tingle, Schiit-eating grin, type high you get when your audio sounds brand new again.

Some quick observations for those maybe on the fence about the upgrade:

1. This is far and away a very different animal than the Uber upgrade, which was great in its own right.  The Multibit improves upon everything that the Uber did but doesn't change the overall Schiit signature sound.  Nothing is bloated, over-emphasized, or under-emphasized, but there's simply more of it and of a much higher quality.
2. Separation and clarity went from awesome to insane.  My go-to reference songs I've heard a thousand times revealed new layers and instruments I wasn't able to hear clearly before.  That's what I love about audio, hearing something the way the artist made it even more than I knew they originally did because of the limitations of my equipment.  The Multibit by itself revealed more of that.  Guitar attack and decay are more real by a factor of 10, voices gain a "they are here in the room" quality previously not achieved, and mids and lows get extra separation and depth.
3. For those running low wattage tube amps, (I'm running a Decware SE34I.4 with Golden Lion KT88s on Zu Omens) the Multibit has added clarity and volume with a little extra gain on top of the Uber.  That by itself has taken my audio to another level by just being able to eek out a little extra untaxed volume from the amp which is only giving two more watts than the bare minimum the 12-ohm Omens want.  With Uber only, it was just enough...with Multibit, it's more than enough.

On the headphones side, I'm using Sennheiser HD 600s through Schiit's Magni 2 Uber.  1 and 2 apply there as well and slight versions of number 3.  I'm not finding a need to use the high gain setting even with the 300 ohm HD600's whereas with my HifiMan HE 400i, they did need the extra gain to really open up despite being 32 ohm.  The soundstage is deceptively large and 3-dimensional, so much so that I kept turning my head thinking certain sounds and voices were behind me or to the side.  Compared to before with the Uber upgrade only, just so so much more clarity and separation.  You're able to notice gobs more going on the music that otherwise seemed lost to compression or output haze.  Backgrounds are blacker, highs are smoother and less harsh, and bass is far better defined and tighter.  

Final note: my wife, who couldn't care much less about my audio nerdity, asked me if something was different because it sounded so much better.  For me personally, I can't think of a better endorsement than to have convinced someone who doesn't give a crap.

Nov 17, 2015 at 5:38 PM Post #1,166 of 2,799

Final note: my wife, who couldn't care much less about my audio nerdity, asked me if something was different because it sounded so much better.  For me personally, I can't think of a better endorsement than to have convinced someone who doesn't give a crap.

I was joking around with my wife the other day and told her I was probably going to die, and her response was, "Can I have your Schiit?"  

Nov 17, 2015 at 10:23 PM Post #1,167 of 2,799

This closely matches my wife's experience of the Bifrost Multibit as well.

Nov 18, 2015 at 12:09 AM Post #1,168 of 2,799
Nice notes ColHapHapablap - and I see you have discerning taste in tube amps as well :D

As for dying Astral Abyss, I would never joke with my wife about that. It might give her ideas :eek:

Nov 18, 2015 at 12:09 AM Post #1,169 of 2,799

This closely matches my wife's experience of the Bifrost Multibit as well.

Yes, exactly.  Even a non-audiophile, disinterested party can tell there's something special about this sound.

Nov 18, 2015 at 12:43 PM Post #1,170 of 2,799
3. For those running low wattage tube amps, (I'm running a Decware SE34I.4 with Golden Lion KT88s on Zu Omens) the Multibit has added clarity and volume with a little extra gain on top of the Uber.  That by itself has taken my audio to another level by just being able to eek out a little extra untaxed volume from the amp which is only giving two more watts than the bare minimum the 12-ohm Omens want.  With Uber only, it was just enough...with Multibit, it's more than enough.

On the headphones side, I'm using Sennheiser HD 600s through Schiit's Magni 2 Uber.  1 and 2 apply there as well and slight versions of number 3.  I'm not finding a need to use the high gain setting even with the 300 ohm HD600's whereas with my HifiMan HE 400i, they did need the extra gain to really open up despite being 32 ohm.  The soundstage is deceptively large and 3-dimensional, so much so that I kept turning my head thinking certain sounds and voices were behind me or to the side.  Compared to before with the Uber upgrade only, just so so much more clarity and separation.  You're able to notice gobs more going on the music that otherwise seemed lost to compression or output haze.  Backgrounds are blacker, highs are smoother and less harsh, and bass is far better defined and tighter.  

Updating to temper a previous assumption with a thought that occurred to me after the fact:

I'll just add that I am taking advantage of the pre-outs on the Magni 2 Uber to push audio to my Decware on the low gain setting and the volume cranked. I realized that is likely the gain add rather than solely the Bifrost and did an A/B comparison. There is still extra volume from the Bifrost BM alone, but about 50% of what you get passing it through the Magni.

I initially thought I was going to use the Schiit SYS to switch input from the Bifrost MB out to the Decware and the Magni for loudspeaker vs headphone listening, but figured I would save an RCA connection by just using the pre-outs on the Magni and I'm assuming that cranking the volume pot on the Magni would just pass the audio as with SYS and other similar pre-amp sections.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back