Schiit Fire and Save Matches! Bifrost Multibit is Here.
Nov 7, 2015 at 10:22 PM Post #1,126 of 2,799
  In general, Macs and PCs have way too much going on to be reliable USB audio sources.

If you're going to run a dedicated device then Windows at least can be stripped down to essentials as well but for the vast majority there are free and commercial scripts which will temporarily suspend non-essential services on a non-dedicated machine.

Nov 8, 2015 at 7:16 AM Post #1,127 of 2,799
  interesting, did you switch between the modi and bimby at that time or is it your opinion from memory?

I switched between the two.  I was lucky to have the Bimby for four days and (cough, cough) ended up working from home for a few of those days so I could do more extensive listening.  I didn't perform blind tests (as my wife isn't adept at and has no interest in re-patching our stereo system) but on my system that weren't necessary.  It was very clear which was which, in part due to the increase in sound stage as well as bass slam.  It was very striking.

But the most striking part of auditioning it for me was the incidental sound changes that came from longer term listening to music that I was very familiar with.  The added growl to a deep bass tone on a saxaphone, the sound of a plucked string or a piano run.

Of course, your mileage may vary.  I make no claims to be an expert or to have 'golden ears.'  I just know what I like and what I don't.  But on my system it was very clear which DAC was which and which I preferred (the Bifrost Multibit).  See earlier in this thread for my impressions:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/782824/schiit-fire-and-save-matches-bifrost-multibit-is-here/1035#post_12045438

--Ned

I Own 2 Modi 2 U and a BiFrost Multi Bit Actually the Multi Bit replaced a  Modi 2 U in my Main setup (2 channel speakers). In My Opinion with My setup with The BiMb the sound stage is Wider, The Detail and Imaging is very much improved. Tracks I have listened to for years are even better.

Modi 2 U is not slouch I still listen use one With a Vali at work with a set of cans at work daily and I am not disappointed at all but I find my self having hard time walking away from the Bifrost Multibit. Last night Scotch in glass and Bimb in full swing I was nodding off but could not bring my self to turn off the music. My Playlist for the night had to end before I peeled my self away. This May be the scotch But with the Multibit I find there is better Layering and In some recordings I can place where the backup singers are, drums, bass, hell listening to some of the Old Bob Marley Albums I grew up listening to on LP's The Damned Cow bell was catching my attention. I never paid attention to it hell don't even remember it being there.

Scotch Is wearing off and the Sun is coming up. But As Long as you have a good set of Transducers (cans or speakers) and the cash I think the upgrade to the Bifrost Multibit is absolutely worth it.

Nov 8, 2015 at 7:39 AM Post #1,128 of 2,799
  Balanced Gumby is much wider in sound stage/more holographic, a hell of a lot louder at any given knob position. It's also brighter, my amp and speakers are somewhat bright, on bright tracks this was a liability.

Bimby sound stage sounds cupped, detail retrieval is a wash between the two IMHO, I prefer the Bimby's warmer tonality, in my system it takes just enough edge off. If I could get the stage width of the Gumby and the tone of the Bimby, it would be perfect for me.

Quote:
  thats what worries me, the sound stage is good on the modi 2 i wouldnt want it any smaller, preferably bigger, my senns already have an intimate sound i wouldnt want to smother it lol

im too back and forth between Bifrost 4490 / Multibit.

"If I could get the stage width of the Gumby and the tone of the Bimby, it would be perfect for me"

if you find what has it let me know aha 
wink_face.gif

this is a Comparison of  a Bifrost MultiBit And A Gungnir Multibit in Balanced setup. Not Exactly Relevant to Comparing a Bifrost Multi Bit to a Modi 2. If I were to compare them it would go something like this

Quote:Originally Posted by MrTie84 /img/forum/go_quote.gif 
Quote:Bigro Stealing MrTie84's Thoughts

Balanced Gumby Bimby is much wider in sound stage/more holographic. ...

Bimby  Modi 2 sound stage sounds cupped...

"If I could get the stage width of the Gumby and the tone of the Bimby, it would be perfect for me"   Yggy  ?????
beerchug.gif

Nov 8, 2015 at 10:17 AM Post #1,130 of 2,799
  I've heard Yggy is more ruthlessly revealing than the Gumby, so I don't think that would work for me.

Funny that you say that as I had same thought and flashback to my gigantic hidef TV and realizing that seeing an actor's pores with their face 2 Ft wide wasn't all that it was cracked up to be. Took a while for lighting, makeup etc. to catch up to where source content other than nature documentaries was actually pleasing in hidef.
  Also, I don't live in a world where I can justify a $2000+ DAC and not get murdered by my partner.

Takes many years of slowly breaking them in. Try the "It's an end-game DAC and I won't waste money on numerous upgrades" approach. If they have a sick/elderly parent who needs care that wouldn't hurt either ....

Nov 8, 2015 at 12:03 PM Post #1,131 of 2,799
  I've heard Yggy is more ruthlessly revealing than the Gumby, so I don't think that would work for me. Also, I don't live in a world where I can justify a $2000+ DAC and not get murdered by my partner.

i find this to be true for a lot of people its not if they can afford it, its if they can get away with it! 
biggrin.gif

Nov 8, 2015 at 12:29 PM Post #1,132 of 2,799

I Own 2 Modi 2 U and a BiFrost Multi Bit Actually the Multi Bit replaced a  Modi 2 U in my Main setup (2 channel speakers). In My Opinion with My setup with The BiMb the sound stage is Wider, The Detail and Imaging is very much improved. Tracks I have listened to for years are even better.

Modi 2 U is not slouch I still listen use one With a Vali at work with a set of cans at work daily and I am not disappointed at all but I find my self having hard time walking away from the Bifrost Multibit.

This is my experience as well with the loaner I had for a few days.  We can't afford a Bifrost Multibit right now, but if and when funds become available, it is top of my list for our next audio purchase after having had a chance to hear it.

Nov 8, 2015 at 6:43 PM Post #1,133 of 2,799
  I've heard Yggy is more ruthlessly revealing than the Gumby, so I don't think that would work for me. Also, I don't live in a world where I can justify a $2000+ DAC and not get murdered by my partner.

Odds are it will ruthlessly reveal deficiencies in the rest of your system. Another way of describing Yggy is that it is fabulously accurate. The bigger truth is that the synergy of your system is the key to your listening enjoyment, and you cannot hear anything that your DAC does not retrieve from the data stream.

Nov 8, 2015 at 7:42 PM Post #1,134 of 2,799

Odds are it will ruthlessly reveal deficiencies in the rest of your system. Another way of describing Yggy is that it is fabulously accurate. The bigger truth is that the synergy of your system is the key to your listening enjoyment, and you cannot hear anything that your DAC does not retrieve from the data stream.

I don't disagree with this statement, but also really really like how my speakers and amp sound off my current sources.  I've been at the gear game long enough to understand my preference isn't always reference, so to speak. Sometimes I personally prefer a touch of romance/distortion/whathaveyou over pure accuracy. Either way, Yggy is so far out of my budget that it doesn't really matter what it sounds like unless I wait a few years for the next big thing and buy a nice used model.

Nov 8, 2015 at 8:06 PM Post #1,135 of 2,799
I don't disagree with this statement, but also really really like how my speakers and amp sound off my current sources.  I've been at the gear game long enough to understand my preference isn't always reference, so to speak. Sometimes I personally prefer a touch of romance/distortion/whathaveyou over pure accuracy. Either way, Yggy is so far out of my budget that it doesn't really matter what it sounds like unless I wait a few years for the next big thing and buy a nice used model.

That would be a cool T-Shirt:

"My preference isn't always reference"

Nov 9, 2015 at 12:53 AM Post #1,136 of 2,799
Hehe while all this talk of Bimby and Gumby circulates I'm listening to Zapp and Roger out of the Theta to get that funky bass going. Pretty sweet what this DAC delivers, I haven't switched back to the Bimby in a week but I am hoping to change that tonight. Bimby has more detailed highs than Theta and more diffuse presentation and imaging.

I don't agree with the user above that the soundstage sounds "cupped" cause it doesn't. The Uber sounded cupped.

I just like the Theta more cause it makes me dance. The mids and bass have a stronger drive and authority at a lower volume level before the treble turns bright.

To get the Bimby to that satisfactory level of bass I have to turn the knob to where the treble becomes too bright for my tastes. I suspect a preamp between the Bimby and Asgard 2 might alleviate this. The Bimby's 2V output is no match for the Theta's 4V single-ended output which is also not standard either for a DAC

Users who are viewing this thread

Back