Schiit Fire and Save Matches! Bifrost Multibit is Here.
Oct 5, 2015 at 10:57 AM Post #211 of 2,799
  The only thing I can I am dissatisfied with is to my knowledge they Don't come over to the other side of the Country for Shows.

That's changing in 2016. 

Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
Oct 5, 2015 at 11:00 AM Post #213 of 2,799
Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
Oct 5, 2015 at 11:04 AM Post #214 of 2,799
It will be great to actually get to meet you guys in person if you come to CAF next year.

Oct 5, 2015 at 12:48 PM Post #216 of 2,799
  It was not designed for Audio applications (neither were Yggy's and Gumby's). Using these kind of chips for audio applications is not straight forward and require designing the proper "translation" interfaces. It takes a lot of development effort and technical skills (as well as "balls") to use these chips in an audio DAC.

The outcome? Possibly the best sounding DACs at their respective price points.

Most companies don't have the balls (or knowledge) to work around this kind of chips and rely on the (much) more accessible audio DAC chips (which are more often than not of the Delta-Sigma variety) and - more often than not - simply use the reference design found in the datasheet. "All DACs sound the same" they say...

This.  It's part of the R2R DAC chip family that Analog Devices introduced in 2010 for precision non-audio applications (e.g. medical, military) that Schiit successfully adapted into their new multibit DAC lineup, including now the Bifrost.  I believe that Jason or Mike once alluded to the fact that implementing the AD5791 DAC chip (Yggy then in development) was proving so daunting (glitch?) that they almost abandoned the effort in favor of something else, but went back to it for lack of anything better (or even equivalent) by way of R2R multibit DAC architecture being available. 

The problem is that all the audio R2R DAC chips, except for maybe the PCM1704, has been out of production since the 1990s/early 2000s in favor of the current cheaper delta-sigma DAC chip lineup.  Mike allegedly was looking for a way to apply this new generation of precision R2R DAC chips from Analog Devices to audio since their introduction in 2010, but had to wait until technology development made it better feasible. 

Oct 5, 2015 at 1:05 PM Post #217 of 2,799
Anyone noticed that buying a Bifrost then upgrading to Multibit only costs $50 more than buying the Multibit outright? I think that's pretty sweet. :)

As for the upgrade stuff, that's just what happens with digital gear. I built a rendering/development computer last year, and less than a month later Intel released their 6 core i7's, their new CPU socket and motherboard spec (X99), DDR4 came out, and nVidia announced their 900 series GPU's which were faster, cooler, and cheaper than their last-gen stuff. My GPU dropped in price from $550 to $350 overnight and I lost my chance to gain 2 cores and 4 threads in my CPU (important stuff). But I didn't get mad or frustrated with any of the companies, I just enjoyed my computer. It's still a hell of a beast and handles just about everything I throw at it (which is a crap ton)!

Oct 5, 2015 at 1:32 PM Post #218 of 2,799
Not to beat a dead horse here, but it's a bummer than it'll cost a whole $400 (the cost of a new Bifrost 4490) to upgrade my old Bifrost Uber (non-USB) to a Bifrost multi-bit with USB. I'm surprised that the USB module still costs so much, especially since all the Bifrosts now come with USB. On the other hand, I am impressed that the MB upgrade is priced so reasonably and accessibly to Bifrost owners. Can't wait to listen to it!

Oct 5, 2015 at 1:34 PM Post #219 of 2,799
popcorn.gif

Oct 5, 2015 at 1:51 PM Post #220 of 2,799
Honestly when the Bifrost was announced / released I thought it would never receive any upgrades and now there's been a couple.  Great job guys.

Oct 5, 2015 at 1:56 PM Post #221 of 2,799
  Not to beat a dead horse here, but it's a bummer than it'll cost a whole $400 (the cost of a new Bifrost 4490) to upgrade my old Bifrost Uber (non-USB) to a Bifrost multi-bit with USB. I'm surprised that the USB module still costs so much, especially since all the Bifrosts now come with USB. On the other hand, I am impressed that the MB upgrade is priced so reasonably and accessibly to Bifrost owners. Can't wait to listen to it!

So if you can sell your Bifrost Uber non-USB for $200 even, you're better off buying a whole new Multi-bit?  Shipping and paypal charges may modify that number by a couple of dollars...

Oct 5, 2015 at 2:02 PM Post #222 of 2,799

So if you can sell your Bifrost Uber non-USB for $200 even, you're better off buying a whole new Multi-bit?  Shipping and paypal charges may modify that number by a couple of dollars...

That's what the math says, yes! I'd very much like to just keep my Bifrost and upgrade it though (as Schiit intended me to do), which is why the current pricing situation surprises me. Perhaps I'll just take the MB upgrade and hold out for some USB gen 3 upgrade much later down the road? Hmm...

Oct 5, 2015 at 2:13 PM Post #223 of 2,799

That's what the math says, yes! I'd very much like to just keep my Bifrost and upgrade it though (as Schiit intended me to do), which is why the current pricing situation surprises me. Perhaps I'll just take the MB upgrade and hold out for some USB gen 3 upgrade much later down the road? Hmm...

Don't think that wait is going to pay off:

"What about USB Gen 3?
USB Gen 3 is reserved for Yggdrasil."

FAQ http://schiit.com/products/bifrost

Oct 5, 2015 at 2:23 PM Post #224 of 2,799

Don't think that wait is going to pay off:

"What about USB Gen 3?
USB Gen 3 is reserved for Yggdrasil."

FAQ http://schiit.com/products/bifrost

Yep, I saw that, but one can only hope. Perhaps there'll be some other kind of USB upgrade in the future for the Bifrost and the Gungnir?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back