Schiit Fire and Save Matches! Bifrost Multibit is Here.
Oct 4, 2015 at 5:41 PM Post #196 of 2,799
I have a modi 2 uber for around 3 month. It's a great sounding little dac. I have been looking for next steps above it recently. The Bifrost uber usb seems to be the first choice however I heard it only offers subtle improvement over modi 2 uber. I'm not sure if that worth 500$, so I was hesitating.

Now it seems like a perfect time for me to upgrade. Bifrost MB seems a  radically improvement over Bifrost uber at almost same price. Just to be sure I have to wait for some reviews. Once I heard some good feedback, I will order it right away.
biggrin.gif

Oct 4, 2015 at 6:32 PM Post #197 of 2,799
  I have a modi 2 uber for around 3 month. It's a great sounding little dac. I have been looking for next steps above it recently. The Bifrost uber usb seems to be the first choice however I heard it only offers subtle improvement over modi 2 uber. I'm not sure if that worth 500$, so I was hesitating.

Now it seems like a perfect time for me to upgrade. Bifrost MB seems a  radically improvement over Bifrost uber at almost same price. Just to be sure I have to wait for some reviews. Once I heard some good feedback, I will order it right away.
biggrin.gif

Do it! You know you want to! :)

What amp are you using now?

What transducers to you have?

I went in steps in order to stay in the budget. First was Magni 2 Uber, then Modi 2 Uber, then Wyrd.
Then I got a Asgard 2 (used, shh). Then Bifrost Uber (used, shh). Then a second Wyrd (used, from the last Nashville meetup, shhh).

I mailed my Bifrost for the Multibit upgrade Saturday.

The one upgrade that I have enjoyed and noticed the most difference has been the Asgard. I'm very very happy with this amp.

My buddy on here Bigro borrowed the Bifrost Uber for a weekend and he fell in love with it, said it was a HUGE upgrade. He's running a Valhalla 2 with aftermarket tubes currently being fed from Modi 2 Uber. His Bifrost Multibit will be in probably tomorrow (I'm glad I talked him into waiting!). I'm positive he'll post on the main Schiit page about it's difference between the Modi 2 Uber and Bifrost Uber. His acoustic memory is much better than mine and he's able to hear more differences than I can. (years of rock concerts and aircraft I suppose).

There ain't nothing wrong with a Modi 2 Uber. For the price, it's a damn good DAC. There's a reason Jason calls it the Bifrost Mini.

My next upgrade will be MrSpeakers Ether C (my listening needs call for closed cans). This upgrade set me back a month or so, I say it's worth it. Besides, I can't let Bigro have a bigger DAC than me. I'm not expecting to be able to order that until June or so next year, sigh.

I say get the Bifrost, it's a no-brainer at this price. Heck it was before, it's double no-brainer now! However, nothing wrong with waiting for the inevitable good reviews :).

Oct 4, 2015 at 11:55 PM Post #198 of 2,799
Folks did we forget that we don't have to rebuy the whole unit for the latest and greatest? Schiit could've repackaged the bifrost mb call it a mini gumby and charge $800. But instead I have the option of buying an upgrade for my old bifrost for $250. Wish more companies had an upgrade path for their lines. I'm talking to you DAP manufacturers.

Oct 5, 2015 at 12:24 AM Post #199 of 2,799
My Bifrost Uber is great except for when it comes to soundstage width (my setup doesn't show depth very well).  It's not bad but it's not as good as my record player.

Will the MB upgrade affect that aspect of the sound or something else?  That's what I'm waiting to hear.  Otherwise I have some non-headphone amps to sell to fund a Gumby MB purchase.

Oct 5, 2015 at 1:03 AM Post #200 of 2,799

... but we are *very* different than other companies. 

Actually since you started this thread you have reminded me of Rega, the rate of expansion and longevity of the companies are very different but to me there are also many similarities.

edit: Actually I meant the "Schiit Happened ..." thread 
redface.gif

Oct 5, 2015 at 1:46 AM Post #201 of 2,799
  My Bifrost Uber is great except for when it comes to soundstage width (my setup doesn't show depth very well).  It's not bad but it's not as good as my record player.

Will the MB upgrade affect that aspect of the sound or something else?  That's what I'm waiting to here.  Otherwise I have some non-headphone amps to sell to fund a Gumby MB purchase.

I  think you will be in for a treat. I'm having a feeling that this will be a clear improvement over the original Bifrost and hopefully an alternative for people who don't want to use the balanced outs of the Gumby but will have a single-ended desktop setup.

I agree on the soundstage and other DACs have shown me that the original Uber has room for improvement. I am glad I sent mine in Friday because I should be getting it back very soon.

Oct 5, 2015 at 1:57 AM Post #202 of 2,799
Folks did we forget that we don't have to rebuy the whole unit for the latest and greatest? Schiit could've repackaged the bifrost mb call it a mini gumby and charge $800. But instead I have the option of buying an upgrade for my old bifrost for $250. Wish more companies had an upgrade path for their lines. I'm talking to you DAP manufacturers.

THIS.

So much better than having to rebuy the entire product when it gets refreshed.

I've personally experience a similar poorly timed purchase when I purchased an Alpha Prime just barely a month before the end-of-life sales & the Ether right before the Ether-C was released so I can feel your frustration being in that sort of situation, but that isn't really the company's fault or any ill intent by the manufacturer. Products get refreshed, that's a good thing :)

Oct 5, 2015 at 3:39 AM Post #203 of 2,799
For everyone who's bashing Jason about not announcing months in advance that a multi-bit gungnir and bifrost were coming, I read this article way back and I kind of knew 'months in advance'...

http://www.digitalaudioreview.net/2015/06/t-h-e-show-newport-2015-multi-bit-from-multi-schiit/

So Jason, when are you shipping these bad boys to Addicted to Audio in Melbourne?

Oct 5, 2015 at 3:50 AM Post #204 of 2,799
I have been waiting for this since I heard the ydggrasil ... ydgggrasil.... well that one announced.
I was quietly waiting, like a hyena in the bushes, like a vulture in the skys. And now the time has come to strike.
Bifrost Multibit, here I come.

Oct 5, 2015 at 3:55 AM Post #205 of 2,799
For everyone who's bashing Jason about not announcing months in advance that a multi-bit gungnir and bifrost were coming, I read this article way back and I kind of knew 'months in advance'...

http://www.digitalaudioreview.net/2015/06/t-h-e-show-newport-2015-multi-bit-from-multi-schiit/

So Jason, when are you shipping these bad boys to Addicted to Audio in Melbourne?

Well said, if one read through the threads, one could deduce a new better Bifrost was coming down the pike. I will order a Multibit Bifrost, this November, when the Cavalli liquid Carbon comes out. Good things comes to those who are enlightened readers of the threads.:)

Oct 5, 2015 at 4:00 AM Post #206 of 2,799
Well said, if one read through the threads, one could deduce a new better Bifrost was coming down the pike. I will order a Multibit Bifrost, this November, when the Cavalli liquid Carbon comes out. Good things comes to those who are enlightened readers of the threads.
smily_headphones1.gif

I'm going to do the same. Waiting for the LC to ship, take it into A2A and hook it up the the MB Bifrost and give it a go.

Oct 5, 2015 at 4:31 AM Post #207 of 2,799

biggrin.gif

As far as my experience I will try to paraphrase Going from Modi 2 U to Bifrost Uber. (Which you can probably pickup cheap from some angry people in this thread). Schiit Does Offer The 15 Day Trial Period as well. Also I have not been to a meet or show yet but that may be another venue where you can try the Bifrost out.

I Listened to the Bi frost uber (courtesy of rmoody)  Strictly through a 2CH setup. Where I run a Modi 2 U today (soon to be replaced by the Bi frost MB). I use A Valhalla 2 As a preamp and use powered monitors and a powered sub. Also I have a wyrd in the chain.  I find in cans some of the difference may or may not be evident so my impressions are using this setup.
I really Enjoy the Modi 2 Uber So much so I own 2 of them. So there is no knock on it and while I feel the overall sound of both to be similar to me the Bifrost U Sound has a wider sound stage. Also the phantom image (something that probably will not be found in cans) improved. There was overall more detail and layering. Female vocals which I find can make or break a good listening experience seemed more lush and very enjoyable also the lows had a more substance.  I can't say for you it will be worth the $$$ in upgrade depending on what else is in your chain (amp, source and cans). To you that may or may not me worth the extra cash. For me it was absolute next level. It was going from sitting in an arena listening to a concert to going to a smaller room with a more intimate setting with the singers and band seeming to be 20 feet away as opposed to 20 rows away. I was much more immersed in the music. Sorry I cannot give you an impression for what is sounds like with headphones. In My opinion yes its an upgrade

However When it comes to cans and I believe even Jason has Mentioned this a few times they can make a very big difference. I have a The ATH M50x and got a good deal on the PSB M4U1 and using it with a Modi 2 U and a Vali also with a Fiio X3II it was like a Just put a bifrost in. I like the M50x's but compared to the PSB's the M50's Almost sounded like the their was a veil in front of the M50's.

If You Do go for the Bifrost just keep in mind it’s up-gradable and Schitt actually does offer upgrades from time to time which costs money.

Oct 5, 2015 at 6:26 AM Post #208 of 2,799
For people who have never owned a Schiit product before and was thinking about it. I hope some peoples issues with the way things were released does not deter you. Schiit Makes Excellent Products and at prices unheard of for what you get. Their Customer service is top notch and I can say from Experience they stand by their product. I agree that this company does things different and I disagree that this is capitalism run rampant just to get as much money out of customers as possible.

Here are some of my experiences dealing with Schiit.
I ordered a Vali which would start ringing for no reason. rmoody confirmed this for me. A few emails back and forth with a Schiit tech and then I got an email from what I will call the customer service department with an RA number and shipping label, this was within a few hours of my initial email. They Paid for the shipping of the ringing Vali and as soon a I emailed back saying I shipped the Vali I got the tracking info for a new one.

Another instance I had a surge Blow up A Wyrd and an Original Modi. The cost to have them both repaired was slightly more than what shipping cost both ways.If you have questions about their products send an email, they get back to you fast and sometimes even after midnight!!!

Also How often do you get the Owners / Engineers having open discussions about their products. You let me know when The Head of Apple or Google hops on a forum and is in active conversation with customers and takes the time to practically write a book that you can read for free.

Well it's Capitalism so they are out to make money HA HA. I get you, Not everyone is made of cash I have 2 jobs and bought and still do buy some of my 2 Ch gear second hand or third hand because its stupid expensive. Go to your local HI FI audio shop Where there cheapest Delta Sigma DAC is probably upwards of $1,000.  With Mikes Credentials They could have easily doubled the price of the Yggy. The Theta DAC he designed probably 2 decades ago is still one of the most highly regarded DACS out there. The New Bifrost with USB and the 4490 Chip could have easily been priced at $599 because it has USB and it's supposed to Out Uber the Uber which was at $519. Nope Price down $120 why cost of production Went down and Jason was Open about that. The Multi Bit Bifrost could have been $749. Why that much? Because the Gungnir MB is $1249. Now for Some the MB Upgrade will take them close to that $749, but for $100 you can still upgrade the Uber to the 4490 so its not like you are forced to MB for improvement.The 4490 Upgrade is $100 Installed how is it that an extra $150 (total 250) for the MB seems Unreasonable? There is more work and greater parts cost? And where else are you going to find a similar DAC as the Bifrost MB for Under $1,000? People Rant that all the jobs are getting sent overseas. Well Schiit Is all built In the US. Which Means they have to Pay people, they have to deal with all our labor laws, Health Care laws and all of the the costs associated with that as well as permits, insurance and then they need $$ for R&D and If I remember correctly they are an all cash company which means the consumer does not pay for the cost of their loans. Try owning a small business and then look at the costs of running it then come back with the business should take a loss to make me happy mentality. The Share Holders of a Small business is not on the NYSE Its the Owners and Employees, They need to put food on the table and keep a roof over their heads too.

(added)

Back to my Point In My experience Schiit has been an excellent company. Customer service is top Notch and I do not feel their is any nefarious evil business practices if one looks Jason is open about why he no longer does pre release announcements. He Is Clear as to why there is a price drop in the 4490 Bifrost and yes they do not outright tell you one is better than the other because it truly is subjective to your equipment, ears and listening preference. You can audition for 15 days and if you don't like it you pay 5% instead of 15% like everyone else. And when he says email them they will get back to you quickly they do. The only thing I can I am dissatisfied with is to my knowledge they Don't come over to the other side of the Country for Shows.

Oct 5, 2015 at 7:55 AM Post #209 of 2,799

+1 guaranteed upgrade for me when service/upgrade centre details are announced.

Keep up the great work Jason and the rest of the gang at Schiit Audio!

Oct 5, 2015 at 8:42 AM Post #210 of 2,799
Bigro, I totally agree. Schiit likes to make fun of their name, but Jason and the team take their business seriously.I've had to contact them three times because of equipment failures (two times I was the error) I sent in my Modi once for repair and got it back it just over a week. Almost all that time was shipping. They have made me a happy customer repeatedly.
Waiting to replace my Modi that feeds my Rag with a Gumby. Or Gungnir then upgrade. Thank you Schiit for making great equipment a possibility for the masses.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back