Schiit Fire and Save Matches! Bifrost Multibit is Here.
Oct 5, 2015 at 4:05 PM Post #227 of 2,799

Don't think that wait is going to pay off:

"What about USB Gen 3?
USB Gen 3 is reserved for Yggdrasil."

FAQ http://schiit.com/products/bifrost

Can anyone enlighten me on the audio benefits of Gen 3 USB? Thanks! -- F

Oct 5, 2015 at 4:22 PM Post #228 of 2,799

I find it very very interesting that more I read Mike's posts the more he sounds like Nelson Pass. Thank you Mike for education.

C

My guess is that it's just that I started reading Nelson's work before Mike's...

Oct 5, 2015 at 5:27 PM Post #229 of 2,799

This.  It's part of the R2R DAC chip family that Analog Devices introduced in 2010 for precision non-audio applications (e.g. medical, military) that Schiit successfully adapted into their new multibit DAC lineup, including now the Bifrost.

I think the original subject was the AD5547CRUZ in the Bifrost which is an earlier chip quite different from the AD5791 family.

Oct 5, 2015 at 5:31 PM Post #230 of 2,799

Couldn't confirm on Schiit's homepage but read about the their USB in an interview:
http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/schiit2/2.html

"
It's USB 2.0 not antique 1.1; it's async; it has separate crystal-controlled clocks for 44.1 and 48kHz multiples; it has galvanic isolation."

Is it confirmed that the Bifrost's USB is both asyncronous and has galvanic isolation?

Oct 5, 2015 at 5:51 PM Post #231 of 2,799
Advanced Clock Management, USB Input Standard
 Bifrost uses a sophisticated master clock management system to deliver bit-perfect data to the DAC—unlike many DACs that use asynchronous sample rate conversion (ASRC), which destroys the original samples. And, with our acclaimed Gen 2 USB input now standard, you’re ready for computer, tablet, and even phone-based sources. 

Oct 5, 2015 at 6:16 PM Post #232 of 2,799
  I think the original subject was the AD5547CRUZ in the Bifrost which is an earlier chip quite different from the AD5791 family.

I figured this was coming and have been waiting for it for a while. I ordered a Bifrost multibit.

However. When I read this, "...coupled to a precision Analog Devices AD5547CRUZ digital to analog converter—a D/A never before used in any other audio product" I certainly don't get warm and fuzzy inside. From what I can see, it looks like a $20 chip that has been available since 2010. Sooo uhhh you chose a 5 year old chip that no other manufacturer thought was worthy? Consider my eyebrow raised.

Not really.  The identical argument by the original poster in context can be equally applied to the other AD5781 & AD5791 new generation precision R2R DAC chips for the other Schiit multibit DAC products.  It's how you choose to interpret the word 'family', which obviously didn't refer to any specific R2R chip architecture, in my case, but more toward the market trend that drove Analog Devices' new R2R chip suite development in the 2010 time frame and caught Mike's interest.

Oct 5, 2015 at 7:47 PM Post #233 of 2,799
  Those with the patience to study (yes, study) the datasheet will be exited when they realize the performance meets/exceeds that of many competing 18 bit dac chips. 

Reminds me of an old Mad Magazine's takeoff on homophones, featuring the line, "The exited theater audience was visibly moved by the play's opening night performance."  You may remember the piece... 
wink.gif

Oct 5, 2015 at 8:11 PM Post #234 of 2,799

Couldn't confirm on Schiit's homepage but read about the their USB in an interview:
http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/schiit2/2.html

"
It's USB 2.0 not antique 1.1; it's async; it has separate crystal-controlled clocks for 44.1 and 48kHz multiples; it has galvanic isolation."

Is it confirmed that the Bifrost's USB is both asyncronous and has galvanic isolation?

According to the specs, it's asynchronous, but I'm skeptical that it's galvanically isolated. That's technically possible, but because of the way USB hot-plug works, you'd need an entire power supply on the isolated end of the USB system to generate DC levels to signal connection or disconnection of the plug to the PC, and the Bifrost USB board doesn't look that complicated.

Oct 5, 2015 at 8:22 PM Post #235 of 2,799
Hey Llloyd,

I did not seriously think about the upgrade path when I bought your old Bifrost.  What a deal!  Must thank you again for helping me obtain my first of "many" future products from this awesome company.  When I talk to these guys at shows, they are informative and really care about the products they are creating. 

cheers,

jhv 
beerchug.gif

Oct 5, 2015 at 8:30 PM Post #236 of 2,799
I'm excited! They e-mailed me today saying they received my Bifrost. I can't wait to hear it when it comes back
smile.gif
I hope this is the true successor to my Theta DS Pro Progeny v. A which is a single 18-bit DAC with the hehe "combo burrito filter". I think we can all blame Purrin for that.

Oct 5, 2015 at 8:53 PM Post #237 of 2,799

Do it! You know you want to! :)

What amp are you using now?

What transducers to you have?

I went in steps in order to stay in the budget. First was Magni 2 Uber, then Modi 2 Uber, then Wyrd.
Then I got a Asgard 2 (used, shh). Then Bifrost Uber (used, shh). Then a second Wyrd (used, from the last Nashville meetup, shhh).

I mailed my Bifrost for the Multibit upgrade Saturday.

The one upgrade that I have enjoyed and noticed the most difference has been the Asgard. I'm very very happy with this amp.

My buddy on here Bigro borrowed the Bifrost Uber for a weekend and he fell in love with it, said it was a HUGE upgrade. He's running a Valhalla 2 with aftermarket tubes currently being fed from Modi 2 Uber. His Bifrost Multibit will be in probably tomorrow (I'm glad I talked him into waiting!). I'm positive he'll post on the main Schiit page about it's difference between the Modi 2 Uber and Bifrost Uber. His acoustic memory is much better than mine and he's able to hear more differences than I can. (years of rock concerts and aircraft I suppose).

There ain't nothing wrong with a Modi 2 Uber. For the price, it's a damn good DAC. There's a reason Jason calls it the Bifrost Mini.

My next upgrade will be MrSpeakers Ether C (my listening needs call for closed cans). This upgrade set me back a month or so, I say it's worth it. Besides, I can't let Bigro have a bigger DAC than me. I'm not expecting to be able to order that until June or so next year, sigh.

I say get the Bifrost, it's a no-brainer at this price. Heck it was before, it's double no-brainer now! However, nothing wrong with waiting for the inevitable good reviews :).

My current setup is actually very simple.  Laptop USB--->modi 2 uber--->Dynaudio bm compact mkiii (active powered monitor) 

Oct 5, 2015 at 9:11 PM Post #238 of 2,799

As far as my experience I will try to paraphrase Going from Modi 2 U to Bifrost Uber. (Which you can probably pickup cheap from some angry people in this thread). Schiit Does Offer The 15 Day Trial Period as well. Also I have not been to a meet or show yet but that may be another venue where you can try the Bifrost out.

I Listened to the Bi frost uber (courtesy of rmoody)  Strictly through a 2CH setup. Where I run a Modi 2 U today (soon to be replaced by the Bi frost MB). I use A Valhalla 2 As a preamp and use powered monitors and a powered sub. Also I have a wyrd in the chain.  I find in cans some of the difference may or may not be evident so my impressions are using this setup.
I really Enjoy the Modi 2 Uber So much so I own 2 of them. So there is no knock on it and while I feel the overall sound of both to be similar to me the Bifrost U Sound has a wider sound stage. Also the phantom image (something that probably will not be found in cans) improved. There was overall more detail and layering. Female vocals which I find can make or break a good listening experience seemed more lush and very enjoyable also the lows had a more substance.  I can't say for you it will be worth the $$$ in upgrade depending on what else is in your chain (amp, source and cans). To you that may or may not me worth the extra cash. For me it was absolute next level. It was going from sitting in an arena listening to a concert to going to a smaller room with a more intimate setting with the singers and band seeming to be 20 feet away as opposed to 20 rows away. I was much more immersed in the music. Sorry I cannot give you an impression for what is sounds like with headphones. In My opinion yes its an upgrade

However When it comes to cans and I believe even Jason has Mentioned this a few times they can make a very big difference. I have a The ATH M50x and got a good deal on the PSB M4U1 and using it with a Modi 2 U and a Vali also with a Fiio X3II it was like a Just put a bifrost in. I like the M50x's but compared to the PSB's the M50's Almost sounded like the their was a veil in front of the M50's.

If You Do go for the Bifrost just keep in mind it’s up-gradable and Schitt actually does offer upgrades from time to time which costs money.

Thanks for the reply! I only use speakers in my set up. I have Dynaudio bm compact mkiii powered monitors connect to my Modi 2 uber now. I guess the speakers can tell the differences between DACs even easier. Especially the studio monitors tend to have very little coloration. It should fully represent the character of the DAC.

Oct 5, 2015 at 9:31 PM Post #239 of 2,799
  According to the specs, it's asynchronous, but I'm skeptical that it's galvanically isolated. That's technically possible, but because of the way USB hot-plug works, you'd need an entire power supply on the isolated end of the USB system to generate DC levels to signal connection or disconnection of the plug to the PC, and the Bifrost USB board doesn't look that complicated.

I just broke out the multi-meter. I measured the resistance between my laptop's headphone jack ground and its USB Connected Bifrost's audio ground (at the RCA jacks) and it came in at around 60 Ohms. That's odd I expected it to be much lower without isolation, however, I wouldn't call this galvanic isolation as that would be more like an open circuit. I double checked the same measurement at my laptop's HDMI jack shield.

Oct 5, 2015 at 9:54 PM Post #240 of 2,799
Just found this gold:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/752962/who-is-thinking-of-buying-the-schiit-yggdrasil/210#post_11956866

Users who are viewing this thread

Back