Schiit Fire and Save Matches! Bifrost Multibit is Here.
Oct 6, 2015 at 10:43 AM Post #256 of 2,799
  I think you are referring to USB 3.0, not Schiit's 3rd generation of it's USB input.

Then it is a difference between the C-Media CM6631A and the C-Media CM6632A as well as their implementation of that chip to the rest of the parts. The one difference that I see that the 6632A has over the 6631A is:

- Asynchronous synchronization transfer to reduce clock jitter
 - Five pairs of I2S or left-justified serial audio output interfaces (8+2-ch out) [vs 2 with the 6631A]

Both use the same embedded 8051 processor. I also take it that the C-Media CM6632 is a slight better designed controller and might have been needed to the implementation of Yiggy. I also think they are more expensive.

Thanks, but that's confusing. Latency and transfer rate are independent variables.

I guess I still think of USB audio in terms of pro audio interfaces, which latency is an issue when overdubbing if you do not have a zero-latency monitoring. USB 2.0 were bad, most over 10ms, but more stable at 15ms or 20ms requiring lots of buffering when recording. USB 3.0 can cut this down to less than 5ms. But this is encoding, processed by the computer, then decoding back down the same USB cable, to the converter, and then out. Faster transfer speeds help. 

Schiit is speaking of their 3rd generation USB, not USB 3.0 standard (I too was confused, see above). But I still think actual USB 3.0 could buffer less.

Oct 6, 2015 at 10:50 AM Post #257 of 2,799
I feel like I'm there already. I just don't want to count my luck on a 90's DAC that is almost as old as I am. I am hoping the next iteration of the Bifrost has the sauce of the Gumby. I will be waiting anxiously this week for a shipment notification.

For now though, I think Jason said it right in a post on the "super audio butt buddies forum" that the filter is what gives the Theta and multi-bit Schiit the uncanny ability to portray space, separation, and ambient cues. My money says that this Bifrost MB will kill the DAC game. At even a lower price point than the DAC-19 I can't see why not.

The fact that Jason from Schiit posted the info on the other forum shouldn't be any reason for name calling.

Oct 6, 2015 at 12:58 PM Post #259 of 2,799
Tell us more.

Please.
biggrin.gif

Same

Oct 6, 2015 at 12:59 PM Post #260 of 2,799
  Thanks for the reply! I only use speakers in my set up. I have Dynaudio bm compact mkiii powered monitors connect to my Modi 2 uber now. I guess the speakers can tell the differences between DACs even easier. Especially the studio monitors tend to have very little coloration. It should fully represent the character of the DAC.

I am Running Mackie Mr5 MK II's. Monitors are a Budget Audiophiles Best Friend. They are soon to be replaced Though By the Elac Debut. I will say That A sub definitively helps bring the low end to life when using smaller monitors. With Speakers There is definitely a lot more to it than plugging in and going. Speaker stands, Height, Position. But when you get it right its very hard to beat

Speaking of Getting things right I have had this MB BiFrost for a few hours and it really starting to open up. I Swapped My Modi 2 U with the Bifrost MB (not its final home just because I picked it up from fedex this morning and could not wait). I am Using a Vali here at work with PSB M4u1 Cans. I have a Problem. I am having a Hard time accomplishing things I keep getting lost in the Music. The Detail and Width of sound stage stands out but then you notice the Low end digging deep then Cymbals. The Pick on guitar strings. Ok I'm rambling now.

I Like it.  I Don't Know what Kind of Hot Sauce Mike Used on the supercomboburrito filter but it is definitely Knocking my socks Off

Oct 6, 2015 at 1:25 PM Post #262 of 2,799
I love my Wavelength Proton driving my Lyr here in my office... am trying to resist the Bitfrost MB... especially given how superb the Yggdrasil sounds in my main music system.  A Bitfrost with the same DNA is making me suspect that resistance is futile...

Oct 6, 2015 at 1:44 PM Post #263 of 2,799
Tell us more.

Please.
biggrin.gif

It digs, deep, but keeps lows accurate, it's not flabby. And my Shure 1540's can be a bit flabby.

Immediately starting hearing new things in familiar tracks.

The lows, omg, the lows. Bigro had to pry me away. Hurry Amy, get my Bimby to me!

Oct 6, 2015 at 1:47 PM Post #264 of 2,799

It digs, deep, but keeps lows accurate, it's not flabby. And my Shure 1540's can be a bit flabby.

Immediately starting hearing new things in familiar tracks.

The lows, omg, the lows. Bigro had to pry me away. Hurry Amy, get my Bimby to me!

That is the first time I've ever seen someone use "flabby" to describe audio lol. It does sound like you like it though so that's good.

Oct 6, 2015 at 2:18 PM Post #265 of 2,799
My Bimby and Asgard 2 have arrived. Unfortunately I won't get to hear it until later tonight, I'm at work now and then going out for supper with the family for my birthday. 

Oct 6, 2015 at 2:34 PM Post #267 of 2,799
  My Bimby and Asgard 2 have arrived. Unfortunately I won't get to hear it until later tonight, I'm at work now and then going out for supper with the family for my birthday. 

Plug it in and turn it on before you leave to let it warm up.

Oct 6, 2015 at 2:35 PM Post #268 of 2,799
Oct 6, 2015 at 2:37 PM Post #269 of 2,799
My upgraded Bimbo is on its way home now. It took them one day! Should be here by Thursday, I expect.

Great turnaround.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back