Schiit Fire and Save Matches! Bifrost Multibit is Here.
Jul 7, 2017 at 1:08 AM Post #2,672 of 2,799
Thanks a lot! Probably won't be getting two of the mimbys, feel like that would be a waste of money. I've gotten advice in the mimby thread to just use a y-splitter or a reversed Schiit Sys, if that won't cause any problems that seems like the best (cost effective) solution.
The Jot dac is probably great, but knowing that the mimby is better... I wouldn't be able to sleep at night :p Thanks for all great advice, gonna pick up a mimby tomorrow. Doubt my ears are trained enough to hear a difference to the bimby (at least a 350$ one), considering how you guys describe them. Thanks a lot and enjoy your music!

Did you end up with the Mimby? I run my Elears out of the Jot w/DAC, and it sounds really good to me. Briefly had the Mimby in the mix, but couldn’t tell a significant difference between it and the internal Jot DAC. Sent it back and saved $250.

Jul 7, 2017 at 2:20 AM Post #2,673 of 2,799
Did you end up with the Mimby? I run my Elears out of the Jot w/DAC, and it sounds really good to me. Briefly had the Mimby in the mix, but couldn’t tell a significant difference between it and the internal Jot DAC. Sent it back and saved $250.
got the mimby yes. Never heard the Jot dac sadly, but the mimby was a big upgrade over my Aune x1s' dac, which is said to be around the same level... well, guess we all hear differently.

Jul 8, 2017 at 7:07 PM Post #2,674 of 2,799
You should leave it on all the time. Multibit DACs apparently benefit from operating at thermal equilibrium. Since these chips are intended for dedicated purposes outside of home use, it makes sense.
I've read this as well.

My question is, now that the Shiitr has opened...what do you think the power-down process is at the end of the day? Leave the DACs on and turn off the tube amps? Leave everything on? Turn it all off and save on electricity? Where does the cost / benefit come into play for Mike and Jason as they sell their Schiit?

Jul 14, 2017 at 10:29 PM Post #2,675 of 2,799
Hoping to use a Mimby with my Alo cdm at work.
I like being able to grab my cdm and run with it to take home but do 99% of my listening at my desk at work.

The amp in the cdm is great. Does anyone have experience with both Mimby and Alo cdm from a DAC perspective?

I was considering going a vali2 Mimby combo but the amp in the cdm is great and I do love being able to park up on the couch at home late at night with my cdm and isine20.

Jul 21, 2017 at 5:10 PM Post #2,676 of 2,799
@Wyd4

Actually used the Mimby with a Cv5 in a secondary rig, and it's a good combo. Pairs particularly well with the HD 600. A linear, airy sound.

Last edited:
Jul 25, 2017 at 5:52 PM Post #2,677 of 2,799
I believe it. Using the HD600 with MJ2 feels almost like overkill. In some ways, I think I was happier when all I had was Vali (1!) and HD600. Perhaps I'll spend some serious time with it when I return from my tour.

Aug 5, 2017 at 4:18 PM Post #2,678 of 2,799
Wow, just wow. I just received my new Bimby. It is replacing an HRT Music Streamer HD - http://www.hirestech.com/product/?pid=116 and a USB Regen - https://uptoneaudio.com/products/usb-regen. (The regen has been moved to work and feeds my Fulla 2 from a lenova laptop). Plugged the Bimby in, waited a few minutes for the 3 drivers to install and just wow (foobar wasapi push). Put on Monk Les Liaisons Dangereuses and the details right out of the box were incredible. I had what I though was a grate sound, but the bimby adds detail all over the spectrum. Briefly sampled some Chamillionaire, Garcia Live 9 and Dave's Picks 23 and all sound really nice.

Next decision - Do I replace my modded Creek OBH-11 with a Lyr2?

Aug 11, 2017 at 9:47 PM Post #2,679 of 2,799
Plugged the Bimby in, waited a few minutes for the 3 drivers to install and just wow (foobar wasapi push).

You want to use the Event mode in order to utilize the USB Async and let Bimby control the clock.

Aug 11, 2017 at 11:19 PM Post #2,681 of 2,799
You want to use the Event mode in order to utilize the USB Async and let Bimby control the clock.

Windows Mixer and WASAPI has no difference whatsoever to my ears. With WASAPI Event, I just can't watch any YouTube if the sample rate is different from the current file being played on Foobar. I just stick with Windows Mixer which IMO doesn't harm the sound ONLY WITH Windows 10 OS.

Aug 12, 2017 at 1:31 AM Post #2,682 of 2,799
Windows Mixer and WASAPI has no difference whatsoever to my ears. With WASAPI Event, I just can't watch any YouTube if the sample rate is different from the current file being played on Foobar. I just stick with Windows Mixer which IMO doesn't harm the sound ONLY WITH Windows 10 OS.

I only use FB2K for critical listening. I don't watch YouTube videos at the same time. And when I do, I just fire up Spotify. :)

Aug 15, 2017 at 3:06 AM Post #2,684 of 2,799
Does anyone get experience of randomly clicking of bifrost?
I usually use it with coaxial input and right after changing my ddc singxer f-1 to eitr, whether doing nothing or in middle of music being played by foobar through wasapi, i always got that issue.
Down there is from ratencymon implemented on my pc.
latencymon.jpg

Last edited:
Aug 15, 2017 at 7:28 AM Post #2,685 of 2,799
Does anyone get experience of randomly clicking of bifrost?
I usually use it with coaxial input and right after changing my ddc singxer f-1 to eitr, whether doing nothing or in middle of music being played by foobar through wasapi, i always got that issue.
Down there is from ratencymon implemented on my pc.

My suggestion would be to look in the Eitr thread. I have not read in detail, but there are reported some sensitivity issues due to electrical noise (i.e. in house wiring or due to other things sharing the electrical circuit). I have personally had no issues with either USB Gen 5 (Yggy) or my Eitr plugged into my Bifrost Multibit. I too am using Foobar through Wasapi. So I think you may have to look further upstream for the issue.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back