Schiit Fire and Save Matches! Bifrost Multibit is Here.
May 18, 2017 at 9:38 PM Post #2,642 of 2,799
Not obviously confused. I did see it. I believe it since been scrubbed as I can no longer find it.

There may have been some reference to upgrade for Bimby. Now with the Mimby, it probably would make sense, and I would certainly welcome it. But I think Mike's comment about "spine tingling" was about Manhattan Project, not about a Bimby upgrade. One thing I think we know for sure about Schiit is we will know when they are ready for us to know.

May 18, 2017 at 10:42 PM Post #2,643 of 2,799
There may have been some reference to upgrade for Bimby. Now with the Mimby, it probably would make sense, and I would certainly welcome it. But I think Mike's comment about "spine tingling" was about Manhattan Project, not about a Bimby upgrade. One thing I think we know for sure about Schiit is we will know when they are ready for us to know.

Not true that is was refereeing to the Manhattan Project. Not what I saw. I like you will be exited to see it when it is announced. I am about to upgrade to the Gumby platform and there is a concern that an upgrade will come a few months later. Even if I get the Gumby will still keep the Bimby and upgrade it if and when it comes out.

May 18, 2017 at 10:46 PM Post #2,644 of 2,799
Not true that is was refereeing to the Manhattan Project. Not what I saw. I like you will be exited to see it when it is announced. I am about to upgrade to the Gumby platform and there is a concern that an upgrade will come a few months later. Even if I get the Gumby will still keep the Bimby and upgrade it if and when it comes out.

I'll be anxious to hear what you think of Gumby compared to Bimby. Will you be using Gumby in balanced mode? Virtually all of my listening Is Tidal HD, so right now I'm focused on how to clean up the USB data stream.

May 18, 2017 at 11:14 PM Post #2,645 of 2,799
I'll be anxious to hear what you think of Gumby compared to Bimby. Will you be using Gumby in balanced mode? Virtually all of my listening Is Tidal HD, so right now I'm focused on how to clean up the USB data stream.

I have a pair of HD800S which I have thoroughly enjoyed. I am driving it with a Bimby & Asgard 2. Some say the original HD800 was best with tubes. I am not sure if the same thing applies to the HD800S which does not have the treble peak or lean bass. I also have a Mapletree Ear+ HD Tube amp with all the upgrades which is about the same price as the Schiit MJ2. Theoretically at several times the price the Mapletree should sound better than the Asgard 2 and to me it does not with the HD800S or the Grado RS1s. While I prefer the Asgard 2 the Mapletree does have strengths in some areas. The Asgard 2 is actually a nice match with the HD800S which I could be happy with indefinitely. That said wanted to scale up to something a better just for fun and curiosity. In order to get a tube amp that I am confident will be better than the Mapletree I need to spend well over $1500 probably closer to $2k. So I am thinking if that is the case then why not just get the MJ2 and throw in the Gumby for $2.1k. So to answer your question I do plan to use the Gumby in balance mode. Purchase would be made in late July.

The Bimby and Asgard 2 would be relegated to a 2nd headphone system in another room driving a pair of vintage Grado RS1s. I have owned the RS1s for close to 12 years and am amazed at how good they sound with the Asgard 2. Great match especially when fed by the Bimby. I have other Grados and the Asgard & Bimby will be dedicated to them in another room because to me they synergize so well. That is why I will upgrade my Bimby as soon as Jason and Mike have it ready.

May 19, 2017 at 1:05 AM Post #2,646 of 2,799
My Feliks Euforia is not balanced so I don't know if I would gain much upgrading to Gumby, especially if a Bimby upgrade is on the horizon. I'm hoping to get over to the Schiitir store sometime this summer to try to do a comparison between Bimby and Gumby running unbalanced.

May 19, 2017 at 11:36 AM Post #2,647 of 2,799
My Feliks Euforia is not balanced so I don't know if I would gain much upgrading to Gumby, especially if a Bimby upgrade is on the horizon. I'm hoping to get over to the Schiitir store sometime this summer to try to do a comparison between Bimby and Gumby running unbalanced.

I do not know for sure of coarse but I have done lots of research on that very topic. Even on the Schiit Website it says in the "Guides" section speaking of the Gumby "Excellent performance in both balanced and single-ended systems". The single ended output should be fully and properly executed on the Gumby and Yggy. Some of the best tube amps out there are single ended like the Euforia and the ampsandsound Kenzie. I read on superaudiobestfriend of two individuals who run Gumby single ended with the Kenzie and they love the Gumby and the improvement they got with their tube amp. I think we will eventually see the Bimby and Gumby upgraded. Listening to my Bimby right now through my lowly Asgard 2 and just loving it. Has such a relaxed analog like nature to it compared to other DACs I have heard while still having very good resolution. And the form factor of the Bimby is just perfect for a desktop or end table headphone system. If they upgrade the Bimby with a significant improvement it will be so awesome. I think then we may see lots of Mimby owners migrate to the Bimby platform. I would not buy any DAC over $500 anymore unless it was upgradable. I bought a $1200 Musical Fidelity DAC years ago and it is still in great shape with an excellent analog implementation with choke regulation. However the digital section is completely out of date. Same with my Dad's over $2k Bryston BDA-1 DAC. Such a beautiful well engineered component that is built to last but no way to upgrade its rapidly aging digital section.

By the way the Euphoria along with the Kenzie is on the short list for an amp upgrade for me. The thing that keeps me from purchasing one of them is that they have no return policy and I would have to purchase without hearing them at all. Hard for me to spend that much money and risk the sound not being to my taste. Even though I think the probability is good that I could love either of them. The 15 day return policy Schiit offers gives me peace of mind knowing that I can make sure I am delighted with the sound before fully committing. The 5% restocking and shipping to return it if need be would be well worth it to me.

May 19, 2017 at 3:57 PM Post #2,648 of 2,799
I do not know for sure of coarse but I have done lots of research on that very topic. Even on the Schiit Website it says in the "Guides" section speaking of the Gumby "Excellent performance in both balanced and single-ended systems". The single ended output should be fully and properly executed on the Gumby and Yggy. Some of the best tube amps out there are single ended like the Euforia and the ampsandsound Kenzie. I read on superaudiobestfriend of two individuals who run Gumby single ended with the Kenzie and they love the Gumby and the improvement they got with their tube amp. I think we will eventually see the Bimby and Gumby upgraded. Listening to my Bimby right now through my lowly Asgard 2 and just loving it. Has such a relaxed analog like nature to it compared to other DACs I have heard while still having very good resolution. And the form factor of the Bimby is just perfect for a desktop or end table headphone system. If they upgrade the Bimby with a significant improvement it will be so awesome. I think then we may see lots of Mimby owners migrate to the Bimby platform. I would not buy any DAC over $500 anymore unless it was upgradable. I bought a $1200 Musical Fidelity DAC years ago and it is still in great shape with an excellent analog implementation with choke regulation. However the digital section is completely out of date. Same with my Dad's over $2k Bryston BDA-1 DAC. Such a beautiful well engineered component that is built to last but no way to upgrade its rapidly aging digital section.

By the way the Euphoria along with the Kenzie is on the short list for an amp upgrade for me. The thing that keeps me from purchasing one of them is that they have no return policy and I would have to purchase without hearing them at all. Hard for me to spend that much money and risk the sound not being to my taste. Even though I think the probability is good that I could love either of them. The 15 day return policy Schiit offers gives me peace of mind knowing that I can make sure I am delighted with the sound before fully committing. The 5% restocking and shipping to return it if need be would be well worth it to me.

Thanks so much. I appreciate your comments. A good friend of mine and fellow Euforia owner, after doing a lot of research, is getting the Gumby. Unfortunately, he has never heard Bimby so he won't be able to offer any comparison.

I understand the frustration of considering amps with no return privilege and no chance to audition. It's certainly one advantage of Schiit. Haven't heard about Bryston and Musical Fidelity for a long time. Both great names.

May 19, 2017 at 4:55 PM Post #2,649 of 2,799
Thanks so much. I appreciate your comments. A good friend of mine and fellow Euforia owner, after doing a lot of research, is getting the Gumby. Unfortunately, he has never heard Bimby so he won't be able to offer any comparison.

I understand the frustration of considering amps with no return privilege and no chance to audition. It's certainly one advantage of Schiit. Haven't heard about Bryston and Musical Fidelity for a long time. Both great names.

I understand you used to have an Elise? If so what kind of improvements did you hear with the Euphoria with the HD800S.

May 19, 2017 at 5:59 PM Post #2,650 of 2,799
I understand you used to have an Elise? If so what kind of improvements did you hear with the Euphoria with the HD800S.

I still have Elise, but don't use it since I got Euforia about 10 days ago. That's not an easy question to answer. I view both Elise and Euforia in much the same way I view Bimby. Neutral with good detail, and with the exception of some tube combinations, always musical and engaging. Euforia pushes to a new level above Elise, but retains all of Elise's strong points. It has a cleaner and better focused sound stage. Both in my opinion gives a reasonable sound of "being there", but with Euforia there is a "feel" of being there that Elise lacks some. Euforia is "airier". When I liken Euforia and S to my speaker days, the closest I come is to my Soundlab electrostatics, even though S is of course a dynamic headphone. Euforia has better dynamics. I don't experience a sense of strain that was sometimes present with Elise.

Before Euforia I had a hard time imagining that I was missing anything significant. With Euforia I'm coming to accept that there probably will always be something better. I haven't heard any headphone amps above Euforia, and I'm sure there is still room for improvement. But at what cost? I guess another thing I see FA amps share with Schiit DACs is that both may be very difficult to rival without spending a lot more money.

Hope that helps some.

Jun 4, 2017 at 7:01 AM Post #2,651 of 2,799
Does anyone have experience pairing the Bimby with the Violectric v200? I'm looking to upgrade from my Modi 2 Uber, and I've heard the Bimby comes with a faux warmth which sounds appealing to me.

Jun 13, 2017 at 5:36 PM Post #2,652 of 2,799
Does anyone have experience pairing the Bimby with the Violectric v200? I'm looking to upgrade from my Modi 2 Uber, and I've heard the Bimby comes with a faux warmth which sounds appealing to me.

I have a Bimby paired with a Gustard H10 which some would argue is quite similar to the Violectric. I love the combo and find it a huge improvement over my previous setup (Buber/Lyr2).

Jun 17, 2017 at 8:23 PM Post #2,653 of 2,799
I have had a new bimby for two days now, and about 4 hours if listening.

I am driving a Schitt Vahalla 2 listening with a set of Beyerdynamics T1's 2nd gen headphones and the match is absolutely superb...
The immediate noticeable difference to me was the clarity and articulation...the ability to really hear into the recording and being able to tell
how well the recording was done....

Compared to my HRT MSii+ and ODAC this new bimby is definitely a step up...

When you get a new toy many times its after a few sessions that it becomes just another piece if electronics and you start looking for something better.

The bimby makes me stop and listen to my library again like it was indeed new...

I stopped several times over the past few days and each time I started a new session that magic was still there!!

I have tried both USB and the S/pdif with a glass optical cable...both are wow, with my preference being the Digital input,

This DAC for $599 is a winner and an honest made in the USA product that Jason and Mike should be proud of!!

Highly recommended for use with the T1's and Vahalla 2....a superb combination!

All the best
Alex

Jun 23, 2017 at 12:57 PM Post #2,654 of 2,799
Hey all! I'm new to this thread, and I need some advice.

My current dac is the Aune x1s dac/amp, I'm only using the dac part (equivalent to the regular Modi in quality).
I plan on upgrading to either a Mimby or Regular Bifrost (and possibly upgrade to multibit down the line). Is the Bifrost worth the 200$ increase over mimby? Is the bimby worth the 250$ increase over Bifrost? (This is Norwegian prices). I might also buy a Jotunheim to power my Elears, should I get the dac module with it? How does it stack up against Schiits standalone dacs?

Jun 23, 2017 at 1:40 PM Post #2,655 of 2,799
Hey all! I'm new to this thread, and I need some advice.

My current dac is the Aune x1s dac/amp, I'm only using the dac part (equivalent to the regular Modi in quality).
I plan on upgrading to either a Mimby or Regular Bifrost (and possibly upgrade to multibit down the line). Is the Bifrost worth the 200$ increase over mimby? Is the bimby worth the 250$ increase over Bifrost? (This is Norwegian prices). I might also buy a Jotunheim to power my Elears, should I get the dac module with it? How does it stack up against Schiits standalone dacs?

Those two DAC's are very similar. The primary difference is better power supply and future upgrades in the Bimby vs Mimby.

The add on DAC in the Jot is completely different. It is closer to the Modi U except that it is fully balanced...

:)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back