Schiit Eitr impression and USB-SPDIF converters discussion
Feb 8, 2019 at 4:07 PM Post #886 of 1,112
My Eitr has been working flawlessly since I bought it (not long after release).
I often unplug and connect to different sources (macbook, pc, iphone) and turn on/off devices with the Eitr connected, never had an issue. Connects instantly.
The Eitr’s power is connected to a Monster power surge protector

Feb 12, 2019 at 5:04 PM Post #887 of 1,112
thinking of selling mine if anyone interested

Feb 13, 2019 at 8:48 AM Post #888 of 1,112
Feb 13, 2019 at 10:50 AM Post #889 of 1,112
Was it not a good fit for your listening rig? Strictly curious...
Once you've got a good USB implementation this piece doesn't matter (IMO). I use an Eitr with my SU-8 on my HTPC because the USB doesn't 'wake up well' when the HTPC goes into sleep mode and the SU-8 needs to be power cycled to operate again. With the Eitr this problem goes away. Older Schiit DAC USB solutions are also less than ideal and benefit from the Eitr sonically, as well as other devices/setups. Especially if your USB is really noisy.

Last edited:
Feb 13, 2019 at 1:10 PM Post #890 of 1,112
Was it not a good fit for your listening rig? Strictly curious...
Maybe mine was already fine. So, i've used a year already but I dont mind of not having it. More like I want to minimize my setup since I'll be leaving States at the end of this year, so having a small rig is easier for me to ship. Anyone here interested?

Mar 20, 2019 at 10:05 PM Post #892 of 1,112
how can I measure how noisy a USB port is? Reading almost all the post here I feel now a bit curious about this device and what it can do to clear up the signal to get better sound quality

Currently I own a mody multibit connected by usb to my desktop rig (Asus Rog Strix mobo) althought I feel happy with it, how do I know how much it will improve my sound quality to justify to buy it?

Mar 21, 2019 at 1:40 AM Post #893 of 1,112
how can I measure how noisy a USB port is? Reading almost all the post here I feel now a bit curious about this device and what it can do to clear up the signal to get better sound quality

Currently I own a mody multibit connected by usb to my desktop rig (Asus Rog Strix mobo) althought I feel happy with it, how do I know how much it will improve my sound quality to justify to buy it?
Hooked up to my mimby I was pleasantly surprised with the result. It definitely made a noticeable improvement. However I couldn't hear a difference with my R2R1, which does have a isn't isolator anyway.

Mar 21, 2019 at 8:21 AM Post #894 of 1,112
I am another happy camper! I just bought and hooked up an Eitr, to my Mimby/Lyr 3 rig, and all I can say is wow. This is one of the most noticeable improvements, I have made to my system. I can't believe it took me this long, to buy one. Thanks again Schiit!

Mar 21, 2019 at 10:35 PM Post #895 of 1,112
Hooked up to my mimby I was pleasantly surprised with the result. It definitely made a noticeable improvement. However I couldn't hear a difference with my R2R1, which does have a isn't isolator anyway.

So you have the coax output from the Eitr going to the R2R 1, and that sounds no better than USB (unfiltered) going straight from computer or network device into R2R 1? That surprises me. I have 2 Audio GD DACs of the older 1704 chip type (DAC-19 & NOS 19), and both sound better via coax from my S/PDIF device (Musical Fidelity 192/24 + high-grade silver coax cable) than straight from USB.

Related question: how do you like the R2R 1?

Mar 25, 2019 at 10:41 PM Post #896 of 1,112
I am another happy camper! I just bought and hooked up an Eitr, to my Mimby/Lyr 3 rig, and all I can say is wow. This is one of the most noticeable improvements, I have made to my system. I can't believe it took me this long, to buy one. Thanks again Schiit!

Meant to ask what these improvements are. I know it's a PITA to describe sonic differences, but I'm curious.

I'm a long-time fan of coax, currently use a Musical Fidelity V-Link 192/24 + a really good-sounding coax cable. Not sure if it's just the cable; cable + V-Link; or cable + V-Link + no USB nasties being decoded by DAC's input section, but the sound strikes me as subtly sweeter, more relaxed & flowing than w/USB straight in.

My interest in the Eitr is pure curiosity whether it (used as a drop-in replacement for the V-Link) would take sound up a notch. That's why I ask...

Mar 26, 2019 at 6:40 AM Post #897 of 1,112
Meant to ask what these improvements are. I know it's a PITA to describe sonic differences, but I'm curious.

I'm a long-time fan of coax, currently use a Musical Fidelity V-Link 192/24 + a really good-sounding coax cable. Not sure if it's just the cable; cable + V-Link; or cable + V-Link + no USB nasties being decoded by DAC's input section, but the sound strikes me as subtly sweeter, more relaxed & flowing than w/USB straight in.

My interest in the Eitr is pure curiosity whether it (used as a drop-in replacement for the V-Link) would take sound up a notch. That's why I ask...
You pretty much described it. Subtly sweeter, more relaxed, yet able to hear more detail. I get better depth and width, as well. It was like a good tube roll.

Last edited:
Mar 27, 2019 at 11:29 AM Post #898 of 1,112
You pretty much described it. Subtly sweeter, more relaxed, yet able to hear more detail. I get better depth and width, as well. It was like a good tube roll.
oh, that what i hear with eitr, ye, i hear it too ^--^

Mar 27, 2019 at 9:57 PM Post #899 of 1,112

I had a great experience with the Eitr when I was running it into a Mimby. It wan’t so much a sonic difference as it was the fact that it just worked. When the conditions are right, USB sounds better to me. But how often are those conditions right? When using the Eitr, I didn’t worry about that. I just enjoyed the music.

Apr 4, 2019 at 9:35 AM Post #900 of 1,112
This has probably been asked a million times but does the quality of the USB cable matter with Gen 5? The reason why I ask is because I'm using Optical with my Gumby since the Gen 5 USB sounded hazy and muddy but I was also using a cheap Belkin USB cable. Does Gen 5 USB scale as an input with the quality of the cable? Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back