Schiit Eitr impression and USB-SPDIF converters discussion
Apr 4, 2019 at 9:50 AM Post #901 of 1,112
This has probably been asked a million times but does the quality of the USB cable matter with Gen 5? The reason why I ask is because I'm using Optical with my Gumby since the Gen 5 USB sounded hazy and muddy but I was also using a cheap Belkin USB cable. Does Gen 5 USB scale as an input with the quality of the cable? Thanks!
most USB cables marketed are just random stabs in the dark trying to find something that works better, easy to waste $100 + The two I have found that are worthwhile

Uptone Audio USPCB - its basically a circuit board connecting the USB plugs,price $35. its disadantage is it is very short, doesn't bend. If you want to stay below $100, you can't do better.
Lush 2 - user configurable shield grounding, but comes already set for expected best configuration. It works very well but costs $239. A favorite at Computer Audiophile

If you want a flexible cable, Wireworld starlight USB isn't bad but the USPCB is better. And yes, ditch the DOA Belkin cable

Apr 4, 2019 at 9:50 AM Post #902 of 1,112
Hello hikaru12 -
Short answer based on my experience is "Yes". Upgrading the USB cable made a difference. In my setup that means running USB from an Aries Mini to Eitr and Coax from Eitr to Gungnir w/MB upgrade.

I didn't spend crazy $ on USB cables. First tried an Audioquest Pearl (pure copper) and a Pangea AG (all silver; not silver plated). Didn't hear too much difference between those two. What really improved the sound for me was an Oyaide Neo D+ Series Class A. It provided an obvious enhancement to clarity and an all round better listening experience. There was a review of it by a writer for (The Absolute Sound?) which is what led me to try it. You can get it on Amazon for under $100. A true bargain, in my O-pinion. I'm curious about the Class S but haven't gotten around to trying that one.

Hope this is of use.

Apr 4, 2019 at 11:26 AM Post #903 of 1,112
most USB cables marketed are just random stabs in the dark trying to find something that works better, easy to waste $100 + The two I have found that are worthwhile

Uptone Audio USPCB - its basically a circuit board connecting the USB plugs,price $35. its disadantage is it is very short, doesn't bend. If you want to stay below $100, you can't do better.
Lush 2 - user configurable shield grounding, but comes already set for expected best configuration. It works very well but costs $239. A favorite at Computer Audiophile

If you want a flexible cable, Wireworld starlight USB isn't bad but the USPCB is better. And yes, ditch the DOA Belkin cable

Thanks for your suggestions. I was thinking about getting a AudioQuest Coffee USB cable - I have their interconnects and I'm really a fan of their Surface Perfect Copper (SPC) stuff.

Apr 4, 2019 at 12:13 PM Post #904 of 1,112
This has probably been asked a million times but does the quality of the USB cable matter with Gen 5? The reason why I ask is because I'm using Optical with my Gumby since the Gen 5 USB sounded hazy and muddy but I was also using a cheap Belkin USB cable. Does Gen 5 USB scale as an input with the quality of the cable? Thanks!

Schiit sells these. They don't cost much. They work well.

I don't know if more expensive cables would work better.

Apr 4, 2019 at 12:17 PM Post #905 of 1,112
Schiit sells these. They don't cost much. They work well.

I don't know if more expensive cables would work better.

I'm certainly in the camp where I believe cables make a difference. I've heard the difference between interconnects from Yosemite to Colorado to Niagara and different source inputs hence why I wanted to look into upgrading. You need a really revealing system (not to say that I have that) but I certainly was able to tell differences between source changes with an Auteur and HD800. I'm sure there's other cans out there that impart that same level of transparency to detect source changes - those are just the ones I've personally used and tried.

Apr 4, 2019 at 12:30 PM Post #906 of 1,112
I'm certainly in the camp where I believe cables make a difference. I've heard the difference between interconnects from Yosemite to Colorado to Niagara and different source inputs hence why I wanted to look into upgrading. You need a really revealing system (not to say that I have that) but I certainly was able to tell differences between source changes with an Auteur and HD800. I'm sure there's other cans out there that impart that same level of transparency to detect source changes - those are just the ones I've personally used and tried.

Thank you for that.

I wouldn't say my system is really revealing either (maybe one of these days I'll get it into my signature). It's probably mid-fi at best. But for my budget, it sounds fine.

Some have the budget for more and I'm not against them going for the best, I'm just sharing what I know. The PSYT cables have worked well for me.

They are $20. You could pick one up and share how they compare with the others. I know at least one person who would be interested in that.

Apr 4, 2019 at 1:23 PM Post #907 of 1,112

Lush 2 is my best USB cable by far. Best sonics I've yet heard from USB.

Apr 4, 2019 at 1:34 PM Post #908 of 1,112
Hello hikaru12 -
Short answer based on my experience is "Yes". Upgrading the USB cable made a difference. In my setup that means running USB from an Aries Mini to Eitr and Coax from Eitr to Gungnir w/MB upgrade.

I didn't spend crazy $ on USB cables. First tried an Audioquest Pearl (pure copper) and a Pangea AG (all silver; not silver plated). Didn't hear too much difference between those two. What really improved the sound for me was an Oyaide Neo D+ Series Class A. It provided an obvious enhancement to clarity and an all round better listening experience. There was a review of it by a writer for (The Absolute Sound?) which is what led me to try it. You can get it on Amazon for under $100. A true bargain, in my O-pinion. I'm curious about the Class S but haven't gotten around to trying that one.

Hope this is of use.

Let me get this straight: even w/the Eitr in the chain (providing coax out to your DAC)--you still get a sonic upgrade by switching USB cables? That's very interesting.

Also interesting that you would mention this Oyaide cable (I read that review a couple years ago)--because my biggest cable upgrade ever was switching from the good-sounding, inexpensive 1.5M Billy Jeans coax to the 1.3M Oyaide DR-510R coax cable. It's the only silver cable I own...made an immediate positive impression w/better sound than the BJ cable, and got even better after it burned in.

As you can tell, I already use a S/PDIF converter, which I may switch to an Eitr (very interested in it)--but I definitely would not be switching the coax cable.

I am going to get that Neo D+ Series Class A cable. At that price, and with the good things people say, it's a no-brainer.

Apr 4, 2019 at 1:51 PM Post #909 of 1,112
Let me get this straight: even w/the Eitr in the chain (providing coax out to your DAC)--you still get a sonic upgrade by switching USB cables? That's very interesting.

Also interesting that you would mention this Oyaide cable (I read that review a couple years ago)--because my biggest cable upgrade ever was switching from the good-sounding, inexpensive 1.5M Billy Jeans coax to the 1.3M Oyaide DR-510R coax cable. It's the only silver cable I own...made an immediate positive impression w/better sound than the BJ cable, and got even better after it burned in.

As you can tell, I already use a S/PDIF converter, which I may switch to an Eitr (very interested in it)--but I definitely would not be switching the coax cable.

I am going to get that Neo D+ Series Class A cable. At that price, and with the good things people say, it's a no-brainer.

Hi Pharmaboy. Yes, you got it. The Class A Oyaide Neo from Aries Mini to Eitr improved the sound over the admittedly entry level AQ Pearl and the slightly more upscale Pangea Ag. Expectation bias? Someone might claim such but I think not. The intelligibility of the lyrics improved, for one thing.

If you get the Oyaide Class A from Amazon, you can always return it if you don't like it or don't hear any benefit. ALSO - note that you might see something like, "there is a newer version of this cable available". The newer version has to do with what Oyaide is using in place of the older version's Ohno Continuous Cast Copper. As you probably know, OCCC is no longer in production because (Furukawa?) ceased manufacturing it. The replacement metallurgy might be just fine. You can read about it if you explore the Oyaide website. I felt more comfortable getting an older version with "genuine" OCCC and in fact that USB might actually be priced lower. Haven't checked recently. Good luck. Hope it works for you.

Apr 4, 2019 at 1:58 PM Post #910 of 1,112
PS to Pharmaboy - I'm using a Blackcat Silverstar 75 coax to the Gungnir MB. I'd love to try the Oyaide DR-510R based on the positive experience with the Neo. BUT the whole cable thing can become a kind of madness (and I used to be wire skeptic)....there is ALWAYS going to be something new and better out there. I keep telling myself to be content :)

Apr 4, 2019 at 2:01 PM Post #911 of 1,112
PS to Pharmaboy - I'm using a Blackcat Silverstar 75 coax to the Gungnir MB. I'd love to try the Oyaide DR-510R based on the positive experience with the Neo. BUT the whole cable thing can become a kind of madness (and I used to be wire skeptic)....there is ALWAYS going to be something new and better out there. I keep telling myself to be content :)

Trying to decide for myself if Coaxial is still superior to direct USB connection with the Gumby. I believe it was stated that it was AES > Coaxial > Toslink > USB but Gen 5 puts in between Coaxial and AES or even better than both.

Apr 4, 2019 at 3:39 PM Post #912 of 1,112
I think Coax is still preferred over USB (even Gen 5) but not certain about that. In any case, the reason I'm using Eitr is because I have an older Gungnir that was not mftd. with a USB input (when I got the MB upgrade, I chose NOT to do a USB mod to it). I'm using Eitr as a USB/SPDIF converter between Aries Mini and the Gungnir MB because the sound with a converter doing USB>>Coax sounded better to me than Coax from the Mini direct to the Gungnir. Not sure why that should be the case, but it was. Bump in input voltage to the Gungnir? The first converter I used was a Musical Fidelity V-Link 192. Eventually this was replaced by the Eitr.

Apr 4, 2019 at 3:55 PM Post #913 of 1,112
Trying to decide for myself if Coaxial is still superior to direct USB connection with the Gumby. I believe it was stated that it was AES > Coaxial > Toslink > USB but Gen 5 puts in between Coaxial and AES or even better than both.

I've tried coax vs USB direct on 4 DACs. 1 of them was described by the mfr as "galvanically" isolated (Peachtree Audio DAC iTx), and it's the only one of the 3 that had no perceptible sonic improvements going from USB to coax.

But it must be said that there's more going on here than just coax cable vs USB cable. The USB receiver chip used in each DAC design is another key factor. Some chips are said to sound better than others, all other things being equal.

All I know is that the 2 DACs I used in my parallel systems here both sound better w/coax in than w/USB straight in...

Apr 4, 2019 at 3:57 PM Post #914 of 1,112
I think Coax is still preferred over USB (even Gen 5) but not certain about that. In any case, the reason I'm using Eitr is because I have an older Gungnir that was not mftd. with a USB input (when I got the MB upgrade, I chose NOT to do a USB mod to it). I'm using Eitr as a USB/SPDIF converter between Aries Mini and the Gungnir MB because the sound with a converter doing USB>>Coax sounded better to me than Coax from the Mini direct to the Gungnir. Not sure why that should be the case, but it was. Bump in input voltage to the Gungnir? The first converter I used was a Musical Fidelity V-Link 192. Eventually this was replaced by the Eitr.

Now, THAT's interesting! Because my S/PDIF converter is the Musical Fidelity V-Link 192/24, about which I can only say good things.

Do you hear a difference between the V-Link and the Eitr? I would upgrade to the Eitr solely to get any sonic benefits possible. Otherwise there's little point...

Apr 4, 2019 at 4:04 PM Post #915 of 1,112
I've tried coax vs USB direct on 4 DACs. 1 of them was described by the mfr as "galvanically" isolated (Peachtree Audio DAC iTx), and it's the only one of the 3 that had no perceptible sonic improvements going from USB to coax.

But it must be said that there's more going on here than just coax cable vs USB cable. The USB receiver chip used in each DAC design is another key factor. Some chips are said to sound better than others, all other things being equal.

All I know is that the 2 DACs I used in my parallel systems here both sound better w/coax in than w/USB straight in...

Brother you're going to cost me a fortune! I'm thinking of the AQ diamond for the USB portion, than an EITR than coaxial. I'm using a Node 2 as a transport so I don't know if straight Coaxial would be worth it either vs the configuration you described.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back