Schiit Eitr impression and USB-SPDIF converters discussion
Aug 18, 2018 at 3:42 AM Post #766 of 1,112
Thinking of putting an Eitr between my PC and my Burson conductor SL 9018 even though I am using a AQ Cinnamon usb a to b cable.

Do you guys think it will be worth it ?

Aug 18, 2018 at 10:38 AM Post #767 of 1,112
Thinking of putting an Eitr between my PC and my Burson conductor SL 9018 even though I am using a AQ Cinnamon usb a to b cable.

As best I can tell your unit came out around 2012 but otherwise not finding much. So any asynch USB section section in it is at least 2 generations out of date. Yes it will make a worthwhile difference, assuming your
unit also sports coax input to connect the Eitr output. Right now there's probably a lot of recordings that sound "off" because of earlier generation asynch USB digital artifacts, the Eitr
should clean those up.

Aug 24, 2018 at 5:45 AM Post #768 of 1,112

No on can tell for sure. It depends on lot of things:
- quality of DAC's USB input
- quality of DAC's S/PDIF input
- quality of S/PDIF coax

(if we neglect the importance of USB cable since it will be present in both combos, so let's say there's no comparative difference, though it is important as well per se)

In case your DAC has a decent S/PDIF input quality, supposing its USB input quality is likely not brilliant, and with a careful selection of a digital coax, benefit is realistic - Eitr performs more than one good thing, there are both galvanic isolation and reclock implemented inside, aside of decent USB input.

I know that with Micromega MyDac Eitr definitely improved the sound, but the result is also sensitive to S/PDIF cable used - cable type, connectors used and its length matter.

Aug 24, 2018 at 12:20 PM Post #769 of 1,112
- quality of S/PDIF coax

(if we neglect the importance of USB cable since it will be present in both combos, so let's say there's no comparative difference, though it is important as well per se)

In case your DAC has a decent S/PDIF input quality, supposing its USB input quality is likely not brilliant, and with a careful selection of a digital coax, benefit is realistic - Eitr performs more than one good thing, there are both galvanic isolation and reclock implemented inside, aside of decent USB input.

I know that with Micromega MyDac Eitr definitely improved the sound, but the result is also sensitive to S/PDIF cable used - cable type, connectors used and its length matter.
If you can deal with the short length, the Uptone Audio USPCB connector will solve your USB cable teeth gnashing in "Cables for under $200 please"

https://uptoneaudio.com/products/uspcb-a-b-adapter

Otherwise life gets expensive, see review below for a reasonably recent USB cable comparison

https://audiobacon.net/2017/09/18/curious-cables-usb-review/

And yea, coax cables can also be a PITA, mine wasn't cheap.

Aug 24, 2018 at 3:49 PM Post #770 of 1,112
If you can deal with the short length, the Uptone Audio USPCB connector will solve your USB cable teeth gnashing in "Cables for under $200 please"

Otherwise life gets expensive, see review below for a reasonably recent USB cable comparison

+1 ... Agree .. UpTone USPCB is excellent ... better than any cables I've tried... IMO

Aug 27, 2018 at 3:07 AM Post #771 of 1,112

Well if you can fit this mechanically, USPCB should be perfect. But bigger devices tend to have connectors on the same side and such thing wouldn't fit without messing up space for other connectors...

I've got myself RPi + Hifiberry Digi+ Pro S/PDIF HAT board. I was specifically recommended to get that one, because of its design/build quality and good results when modified (both RPi and Digi+ Pro) and when powered through quality ULPS. A friend of mine who has done this for himself (and many others, too) uses it with BADA Alpha DAC and claims it's a top notch player - for some reason he preferred this HAT board to Allo Digione, which he also got.

But within some limits, some RPi DAC solutions are surprisingly good. I've listend to DAC+ Pro with ULPS and after burning in, it's definitely not a toy as I thought it would be. Serious sound dynamics, definition across spectrum and resolution (detail), open sound which doesn't lack bass, and neutrality is there. And there are yet better RPi DAC boards (and board combos) on the market. So digital cabling enchillada can even be set completely to zero. For what I understand, the potential of a good RPi HAT DAC is such that you need a serious DAC to better it.

Last edited:
Sep 2, 2018 at 7:53 AM Post #772 of 1,112

I feel like venting out…

Schiit customer service is beyond terrible!
Never encountered an American company so poor it that regard.

I own a relatively new Etir that, if I as little as touch the inserted cable, loses connectivity. It has to do with the SPDIF port; probably some substandard soldering.
I dropped two emails with Schiit but I’m being frustratingly ignored.

Shame on them!

Last edited:
Sep 2, 2018 at 8:20 AM Post #774 of 1,112
Just in case you emailed Schiit over the last few days. This happens to be an special American holiday ... Labor Day Weekend

Naa...emailed first time a week ago. Then four days later.
They claim to do their best to be snappy....Jee...

Last edited:
Sep 2, 2018 at 8:27 PM Post #776 of 1,112
Lets not make the ass-u-me mistake. Did you try a different cable?
Thanks for the sensible suggestion Yes, the USB cable was swapped in the trouble-shooting process. I'm pretty certain it's the jack since touching the cable precipitates the issue. In fact, now I prop the plug with some rubber so it doesn't sag (i.e., preventing downward pressure) and the connection is much more stable.

Is your jack firm in place? E.g., when you gently apply sideways pressures on the plug, does the jack shifts a bit inside?

Last edited:
Sep 4, 2018 at 9:03 AM Post #777 of 1,112
Thanks for the sensible suggestion Yes, the USB cable was swapped in the trouble-shooting process. I'm pretty certain it's the jack since touching the cable precipitates the issue. In fact, now I prop the plug with some rubber so it doesn't sag (i.e., preventing downward pressure) and the connection is much more stable.

Is your jack firm in place? E.g., when you gently apply sideways pressures on the plug, does the jack shifts a bit inside?
Only the firm tension that you would expect from soldered leads. The USB B female connector housing has very little clearance on the face plate so you can't torque it very far. I've just
had to send in another piece of kit because the female A connector solder stripped loose from the PCB, so I feel your pain. Sounds best just to call and get an RMA, as a broken or cold solder just gets worse for dropouts

Sep 14, 2018 at 10:41 AM Post #778 of 1,112
I recently purchased a Topping D10, with the intention of using it as a USB to SPDIF converter. It was a 2fer, as it can also be used as a dac as well. To my surprise, the dac is very nice to listen to. When I use it as a converter, I run the spdif out to a rather ancient (by dac years) Adcom GDA-600, which is a 20 bit multi bit converter. Some times I run it to my PS Audio Link DAC III. The link dac has a usb input, but it is limited to 16/44, with spdif it can do 24 bit up to 192 kHz.

Sep 16, 2018 at 5:28 PM Post #779 of 1,112
- quality of S/PDIF coax

Been using the Eitr between my imac and Lake People RS-06 (no usb) using Wireworld starlight cables and I love it. I have used several other USB "cleaners" over the years and this is a night and day upgrade for me.

Oct 13, 2018 at 7:22 PM Post #780 of 1,112
Received the schiit eitr today, only listened for about 15 minutes but I can already say it was worth the money. My setup is Tidal/Roon FLAC/MQA --> Eitr > Modi MB > Stax 727II > Stax SR-007 mk1, and I had only one issue with the rig - - some hard treble at times. I hoped the Eitr would fix that. What I didn't expect was that it heightened the overall sound considerably. Immediately noticeable is a blacker background, clear seperation and everything sounds more immersive and real.

Its still very early so I don't want to get too crazy but I am very impressed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back