Schiit Eitr impression and USB-SPDIF converters discussion
Oct 13, 2018 at 7:30 PM Post #781 of 1,112
The annoying thing about the Eitr is that its power supply is stepped down AC wall wart. I've gotten big gains from other components in the digital signal path by replacing/upgrading their DC power supplies but so far the Eitr
stymies me on how to make a like PS improvement...

Oct 13, 2018 at 7:37 PM Post #782 of 1,112
The annoying thing about the Eitr is that its power supply is stepped down AC wall wart. I've gotten big gains from other components in the digital signal path by replacing/upgrading their DC power supplies but so far the Eitr

You are aware Schiit explicitly and unequivocally states there's no room whatsoever for a power supply upgrade?

It's in the product Q/A area.

Oct 13, 2018 at 7:40 PM Post #783 of 1,112
My main gripe with with the Eitr is the single directional USB port. I would have loved it to charge my DAP.

A bnc instead of RCA would've a welcome change too.

Oct 13, 2018 at 8:22 PM Post #784 of 1,112
My main gripe with with the Eitr is the single directional USB port. I would have loved it to charge my DAP.

A bnc instead of RCA would've a welcome change too.
51EcnCgR97L._AC_US327_QL65_.jpg

Oct 13, 2018 at 8:26 PM Post #785 of 1,112
The P/S is a linear low-noise unit, but you could replace it with another if you choose. It's 6VAC 1.5A.

Oct 13, 2018 at 8:51 PM Post #786 of 1,112

Thanks for the tip, my good man, but it's not an issue of physical interface.

As far as I know, RCA interface doesn't have exact and specified impedance, whereas BNC is either 50 or 75ohm. Thus, theoretically, given a matching impedance cable, BNC performs better than RCA.

Oct 13, 2018 at 9:05 PM Post #787 of 1,112

As far as I know, RCA interface doesn't have exact and specified impedance, whereas BNC is either 50 or 75ohm. Thus, theoretically, given a matching impedance cable, BNC performs better than RCA.

Most of the RCA cables I see advertised as digital COAX is specked to 75 ohms and the XLR digital is specked at 110 ohms IIRC

Oct 13, 2018 at 9:13 PM Post #788 of 1,112
Oct 13, 2018 at 10:11 PM Post #789 of 1,112

S/PDIF is a 75 ohm spec. RCA or BNC. It’s the same.

Oct 13, 2018 at 10:35 PM Post #790 of 1,112
S/PDIF is a 75 ohm spec. RCA or BNC. It’s the same.

No, RCA plugs aren't true 75ohm. Peruse the link to blue jeans cables above.

There's a reason you'll find almost exclusively bnc on pro equipment. Professionals shun RCA.

Oct 14, 2018 at 10:32 AM Post #791 of 1,112
No, RCA plugs aren't true 75ohm. Peruse the link to blue jeans cables above.

There's a reason you'll find almost exclusively bnc on pro equipment. Professionals shun RCA.
Except that it doesn't matter unless your cable run is over 10 meters. RCA will sustain a 75-ohm cable impedance to that length. Or at least it does according to ANSI.

Oct 14, 2018 at 2:16 PM Post #792 of 1,112
Lots of confusion here. There are 2 parts of a cable: the cable and the connector. The cable is typically coaxial and can be the same whether it uses a RCA and BNC connector. A coax cable is uniform impedance whether it is 1 inch or 100 ft. Now the connector: a BNC can be the same impedance as the cable. If it is the same impendance, a signal will propagate without relfections. It is is mismatched, then the signal will be distorted by reflections. The problem with RCA is that it is a cheap connector designed to be the lowest cost you can get away with. It was never intended to be used for impedance matched circuits. The impedance is governed in a connector by 2 things - the material or dielectric insulator and the diameter of the connector. Since RCA has a set diameter, then the only way you can get the right impedance is to find a material that makes it the right impedance. I know of only 1 manufacturer that claims a impedance matched RCA connector. The rest of the RCAs are not the same impedance. Now the question is whether the impedance mismatch is of any practical difference in an RCA. For audio signals, no because the frequency is low, For digital, where the frequency, esp with DSD is high, yes. I prefer to simply use balanced cables instead of RCA where there is a choice instead of using an adapter.

Oct 17, 2018 at 4:11 AM Post #793 of 1,112
Regarding reflections, I'm not sure whether they do any harm at all if coax is sufficiently long. Reflection travels back to the source then forth to the receiver. In case transition is already sampled reflection should not harm it.
However the quality of connector is not just about impedance, as jitter is not the only aspect of the transmission.

For the example I've made a coax using cheap Rean (Neutrik) RCA connectors, and in comparison to better RCA connectors the detail and airiness is not on the same level. While the impedance on both is wrong on both and cable length was sufficient to avoid S/PDIF transfer jitter. So I guess the answer for the difference is on the noise side, not on the jitter side. Lousy conducting material (funky alloys), Eddy currents in a meaty metal body...

Recently I've started using Taiwanese RCA connectors from the ebay, which are good for analog connections too. It's one point contact system with minimum metal (tellurium copper) used (hollow centre pin, one point outer contact, plastic socket instead of metal one), similar to Eichmann Bullet RCA's (but much cheaper lol). Person which recommended them replaced his WBT's on his analog interconnect with those, and was amazed of the improvement. He uses similar for digital interconnects too. Because a quality connector is a quality connector wherever you use it - noise is a noise.

Last edited:
Oct 17, 2018 at 11:23 AM Post #794 of 1,112
Regarding reflections, I'm not sure whether they do any harm at all if coax is sufficiently long. Reflection travels back to the source then forth to the receiver. In case transition is already sampled reflection should not harm it.
However the quality of connector is not just about impedance, as jitter is not the only aspect of the transmission.

For the example I've made a coax using cheap Rean (Neutrik) RCA connectors, and in comparison to better RCA connectors the detail and airiness is not on the same level. While the impedance on both is wrong on both and cable length was sufficient to avoid S/PDIF transfer jitter. So I guess the answer for the difference is on the noise side, not on the jitter side. Lousy conducting material (funky alloys), Eddy currents in a meaty metal body...

Recently I've started using Taiwanese RCA connectors from the ebay, which are good for analog connections too. It's one point contact system with minimum metal (tellurium copper) used (hollow centre pin, one point outer contact, plastic socket instead of metal one), similar to Eichmann Bullet RCA's (but much cheaper lol). Person which recommended them replaced his WBT's on his analog interconnect with those, and was amazed of the improvement. He uses similar for digital interconnects too. Because a quality connector is a quality connector wherever you use it - noise is a noise.
Suffering attention deficit? This thread is about Eitr, and USB/SPDIF converters... lets not go off topic with personal "religious arguments" about cable design principles.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back