Schiit Decrapifier released - USB power isolator
Feb 23, 2015 at 6:39 PM Post #391 of 578
  I've had this really strange behaviour from my Wyrd and was wondering if anyone else has experienced anything similar or has an idea what might be going on.

My dac: Echo2usb, it's a 2in/4out device, usb-powered but does also have an external psu that can be used

I got the wyrd and put it between my laptop and dac (feeding monoblocks), external psu was not used as I figured the power from wyrd would be better. Everything runs fine for a week, the whole time I'm only using the balanced outputs to my monoblocks.

Then one day I try plugging into the headphone jack on the Echo and poof the whole thing goes down. Wyrd lights are on, but the dac is dead. I unplug the headphone but the echo doesn't boot up, it only blinks intermittently. Plug the headphones in, lights go out. Unplug, lights blink but doesn't boot fully.

I try the wyrd with a couple other usb-powered dacs and they are fine (Nuforce uDac3, Focusrite Saffire 6 (another prosumer device)).
I try the Echo on its own and it works fine (using both the balanced outputs and headphone jack).
Echo + external psu is good.
Echo + external psu + wyrd is good.
Echo + wyrd again... nope, still weird blinky lights.

I contacted Schiit but they aren't sure what it could be.

I feel it's likely a problem wth the dac... but then why does the dac still work on its own without issue?

Sounds like it needs more power than USB can provide even from Wyrd. Note the * where they describe USB power and/or external PSU.

*USB 3.0 or Mac, AC adapter may be needed for +48V with PC USB 2.0 ports

But that may only apply when Mic needing phantom power attached?????

Feb 23, 2015 at 9:52 PM Post #392 of 578
But I never use phantom power, and it works just fine from the laptop. Plus it used to work, so why not now?

Feb 23, 2015 at 10:43 PM Post #394 of 578
  But I never use phantom power, and it works just fine from the laptop. Plus it used to work, so why not now?

May not help but I'll give it a shot.  Have you tried deleting the Schiit USB driver software and re-installing?  

Feb 23, 2015 at 11:50 PM Post #395 of 578
I never had any drivers installed in the first place. I thought those were only for the dacs... ?

Feb 24, 2015 at 2:20 PM Post #396 of 578
I received my new Wyrd today, plugged it in to my MM2U chain and burned it in for the better part of a minute. Reading this thread I understand that some believe the Wyrd improves the sound quality, while others do not. Well, I´m a believer and I definitely love the sound coming out of my MM2U+Wyrd stack. I´ve never before heard my German Oompah-Oompah music collection sound this good with my stock iPhone 6 EarPods. Also, my double-sided tinnitus seems to have come more to live with a broader soundstage and crystal clear treble hiss. 
eek.gif

Jokes aside, I´m not sure I can hear any difference, but at least I have a clean USB path between the Modi and the source, which is also working with my iPhone and iPad.

Feb 24, 2015 at 3:14 PM Post #397 of 578
Hmm, it seems the Wyrd also does not like the Centrance Dacmini. So that rules out the power draw theory since the Dacmini is powered from a wallwart. On the dacmini it freezes the system as soon as I plug into the Wyrd and I have to power down to reset it (even if I'm not on the usb setting).

So far of the dacs I've tried...

works:
Nuforce HDP (wallwart)
Nuforce uDac3 (usb powered)
Saffire 6 usb (usb powered)
Traktor Audio 2 (usb powered)
PerfectwaveDAC mk2
Yulong DA8

does not work (computer does not detect and the dac fails to power on or freezes)
Echo 2 USB (usb powered, but does work when used with optional walwart)
Centrance Dacmini (walwart)

Feb 24, 2015 at 9:28 PM Post #399 of 578
  Hmm, it seems the Wyrd also does not like the Centrance Dacmini. So that rules out the power draw theory since the Dacmini is powered from a wallwart.

When I mentioned that WaveIO wasn't detected through Wyrd, its designer told me:
I doubt there could be any firmware patches since the USB communication is handled by an ULPI chip (VERY, VERY similar to that squared one, on the bottom of Schiit product) which does have internal state machines - impossible to alter from XMOS firmware. So, if that USB communication between ULPI and the PC/MAC/Android/whatever is troubled then it could be a hardware problem or Schiit product is not as "transparent" as it should be for WaveIO to work properly.

I doubt it is a hardware issue because WaveIO would run worse regardless of the host/connection. Practically it would be useless!

Ah, now I see... it's controlled by an USB repeater! I doubt WaveIO's drivers will see WaveIO through an USB repeater but if it does, the data bandwidth would be limited to some extent and USB communication timings altered... which is counting a lot (at least for low latency - BTW)

Long story short, most USB PSU's on the market simply replace the +5V bus power line in a somewhat dirty way but Wyrd uses a USB repeater chip...which wouldn't appear to be 100% transparent in all cases. Either you get proper reclocking or you get nothing.

Just put my ear next to my 230V wallwart - it's silent.

Their tech support told me that I got a slightly noisy tranny and that this is as good as it's gonna get, they prolly get them for dirt cheap and QA is kind of an afterthought. I can't hear it from 50cm so nevermind.

BTW many audiophiles claim that 230V comes with a polarity and that one position always sound better than the other, there are even solutions to detect/measure it so flip it if you dare
popcorn.gif

Feb 25, 2015 at 4:10 PM Post #400 of 578
Hmm, tried the Wyrd and it works with my friend's PWDmk2 and DA8. Still no go with my Echo though.

Feb 25, 2015 at 6:10 PM Post #401 of 578
Could someone here from Europe/230v countries help me with the transformer? I just need to know how much VAC and mA is the 230v (I got the 110v one, 6VAC & 1500mA, but need to buy a 220v one, just checking if I should take the same numbers).

Thanks a lot!

Feb 26, 2015 at 8:40 AM Post #402 of 578
Could someone here from Europe/230v countries help me with the transformer? I just need to know how much VAC and mA is the 230v (I got the 110v one, 6VAC & 1500mA, but need to buy a 220v one, just checking if I should take the same numbers).

Thanks a lot!

Order one directly from Schiit. It can be requested by mail. They recommend not to use anything else.

Feb 26, 2015 at 6:09 PM Post #403 of 578
I get a buzzingish noise from the USB on my stationary PC. Its like a FM radio at bad frequency. 
Will the Schiit Wyrd get rid of this? 
Anyone experienced the Schiit Wyrd not fixing their noise issue?

Feb 26, 2015 at 6:43 PM Post #404 of 578
  I get a buzzingish noise from the USB on my stationary PC. Its like a FM radio at bad frequency. 
Will the Schiit Wyrd get rid of this? 
Anyone experienced the Schiit Wyrd not fixing their noise issue?

Yes, that was my experience with the Wyrd. Not saying it doesn't work magic for others...but for me, it was all about moving devices onto different ports.

Feb 26, 2015 at 7:00 PM Post #405 of 578
I only get noise from my stationary PC. Ive tried getting new PSU, changing ports etc, no success...
Laptops doesnt give me any noise with USB tho...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back