Schiit Decrapifier released - USB power isolator
Feb 27, 2015 at 11:39 AM Post #406 of 578
  I only get noise from my stationary PC. Ive tried getting new PSU, changing ports etc, no success...
Laptops doesnt give me any noise with USB tho...

That could be so many different things; hard to know where to start. Could be a bad ground, a bad motherboard, a defective USB port, interference from a video GPU, who knows.

One thing you could try, if you want to stick it out with the same PC: try a USB-to-S/PDIF converter (a quality one) that will provide true galvanic isolation from the computer. Then, run the coax out from the converter into your DAC and you might to good-to-go.

Does your PC have a sound card with optical out? That would work, as well.

Feb 27, 2015 at 12:49 PM Post #408 of 578
  I only get noise from my stationary PC. Ive tried getting new PSU, changing ports etc, no success...
Laptops doesnt give me any noise with USB tho...

I had a similar issue and the Wyrd did not fix it, nor did an APC power filter. It was fixed once I moved all of my devices onto one power strip with everything plugged in as close together as possible. After that, the noise issue went away. I highly suggest you try it, you have nothing to lose. I spent a couple hundred bucks trying to fix my issue. I thought I was going to go insane until I finally found the fix.

Feb 27, 2015 at 1:08 PM Post #409 of 578
  I had a similar issue and the Wyrd did not fix it, nor did an APC power filter. It was fixed once I moved all of my devices onto one power strip with everything plugged in as close together as possible. After that, the noise issue went away. I highly suggest you try it, you have nothing to lose. I spent a couple hundred bucks trying to fix my issue. I thought I was going to go insane until I finally found the fix.

I have 3 USB devices, a mouse, keyboard & the DAC. All as close togheter as possible.
Ive also tried getting a new PSU, a Evga SuperNova G2 850W. 
Also tried to re-mount the whole PC, including the motherboard :D 
None has fixed it, im not sure what to do anymore tbh

Feb 27, 2015 at 1:41 PM Post #410 of 578

I have 3 USB devices, a mouse, keyboard & the DAC. All as close togheter as possible.
Ive also tried getting a new PSU, a Evga SuperNova G2 850W. 
Also tried to re-mount the whole PC, including the motherboard :D 
None has fixed it, im not sure what to do anymore tbh

Re-read the previous post - he is referring to external devices and their power connections, not USB devices.

Feb 27, 2015 at 2:28 PM Post #411 of 578

Re-read the previous post - he is referring to external devices and their power connections, not USB devices.

That is correct.

Feb 27, 2015 at 4:10 PM Post #412 of 578
Oh haha, sry!

So if I start to experiment with the power strip I might get rid of it?
What about getting those expensive hifi power strips? 

Feb 27, 2015 at 4:47 PM Post #414 of 578
I tried swapping around on the powerstrip, but no results...
Could the fact that my DAC's cable is not grounded, while all the other power cables I have connected are grounded? 

Should I try havin the PC on its own power strip or is there any logical thing to do? 

Feb 27, 2015 at 5:15 PM Post #415 of 578
Mine issue was twofold - a ground loop issue and a USB noise issue.
The first one would require me to plug my PC into a different power circuit, which I could not do without running cables throughout the house... The USB issue was fixed by the Wyrd. This reduced the overall noise/hum to inaudible for the most part, so... The Wyrd did help me...

Feb 27, 2015 at 5:20 PM Post #416 of 578
I plugged the PC's power connection directly into the outlet. It helped alot, but theres still some.
I'm not sure how to get rid of the last bit...

Feb 27, 2015 at 7:26 PM Post #417 of 578
  I plugged the PC's power connection directly into the outlet. It helped alot, but theres still some.
I'm not sure how to get rid of the last bit...

You can try a cheap power conditioner, like the Furman M-8X2. I have one on my home system and it seems to help. Only 55 bucks on amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Furman-Series-Outlet-Conditioner-Protector/dp/B003BQ91Y6

It might not fix your noise issues, but it will give you a better level of protection for your equipment.

it could also be that the last little bit of noise is your computer's USB power management. Since you got the biggest effect from moving your computer to a different outlet, it might be that the power is very noisy into that computer. The Wyrd may fix that. I have no idea, though, these are just theories. Someone with actual knowledge might be able to say for certain.

Mar 31, 2015 at 12:31 PM Post #418 of 578
Wyrd on my linux box takes the HRT Music Streamer II+ (new oval model) to an even higher level.  Competes with very well regarded $500 and up dacs.  Quieter, more black space around instruments, smooth organic mids, less compressed more extended highs, and a bit better bass.  No special USB cables used just keep them really short for best sound.  YMMV

Mar 31, 2015 at 1:41 PM Post #419 of 578
Is it pronounced "Word" or "Weird"?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back