Schiit Bifrost Uber Analog Upgrade
Mar 5, 2014 at 10:24 PM Post #781 of 1,448

I'm an EE and can't argue raw numbers.

But don't forget that the raw specs of a DAC aren't as important as the implementation of the DAC.

And I'm not really making any specific point, and definitely not saying for sure that there's a difference.  My brain sure perceived it, whether it's fabricated or not, but unless I have two bifrosts to do side by side testing, I won't ever know for sure.'

But like you said, for that price, why not.

Part of the implementation is the better USB and the Coax and Optical SPDIF. The rest I will leave to my imagination. 
wink.gif
 Compared to other quality DAC's, they're practically giving it away.

Mar 5, 2014 at 10:45 PM Post #782 of 1,448
  Part of the implementation is the better USB and the Coax and Optical SPDIF. The rest I will leave to my imagination. 
wink.gif
 Compared to other quality DAC's, they're practically giving it away.

Yeah the price is incredible.  Especially when reviewers are comparing them to 4 digit priced DACs.

And if your imagination wants to hear an increase in sound quality, LET IT! 
k701smile.gif

Mar 5, 2014 at 10:52 PM Post #783 of 1,448

Oh, and did anyone else get angry at the three leds?  It wasn't quick or easy to get them back into the holes on the front of the unit.  I had to get the PCB close to the front, with a flashlight shining light in from the side, then use a skinny screwdriver to get in to bend each one to the height of the holes to get them to line up.  I had to take a couple attempts before getting all three perfect, but I finally got it.  That's probably the single hardest part of the install.  The power button I held in place with masking tape from the front.  It never fell out the entire time. 

The trick with the LED's is to put the circuit board in first, the LED's slide right in their slots, THEN slide in the dark grey inner housing and screw together. Piece of cake.

Mar 6, 2014 at 12:19 AM Post #784 of 1,448
Mar 6, 2014 at 12:36 AM Post #785 of 1,448
Yea not commenting on the rest of the DAC, but those LEDs are the worst design I have ever seen! There are SOO many better ways to have done that setup and with their decision (which may have come after the fact) to allow owners to do their own upgrades they should have picked a better setup than having long leaded 2mm LEDs line up with holes in an outer, separate chassis! I found the button to be a pretty lame design too. I know it works, but it doesnt even match the aluminum of the rest of the chassis.

Mar 6, 2014 at 3:09 AM Post #786 of 1,448
  As a happy Magni owner I'm very interested in the Bifrost Uber as an upgrade for my Squeezebox Classic's internal DAC. But before I spend the money I'd like to get any feedback available from anyone who has hooked the Bifrost up to a Squeezebox and what the differences were.

Any feedback on this?

I have a squeezebox duet linked to the Bifrost Uber. (squeezebox duet => Bifrost Uber => Nad C356 BEE => HE-500)
It's a huge difference in sound quality, now way ! More than I am expected.
I think it will be the same for the Squeezebox Classic : http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.php/Hardware_comparison

That said, I think a cheaper dac than the Bifrost Uber will improve also the sound in a satisfactory manner.
(As I said, the dac of my CD player is just as good if no better in my opinion so I plan to sell my Bifrost Uber to buy a Nad Dac MDC 2, which fits into the Nad amp .)

Mar 6, 2014 at 11:29 AM Post #787 of 1,448

I have a squeezebox duet linked to the Bifrost Uber. (squeezebox duet => Bifrost Uber => Nad C356 BEE => HE-500)
It's a huge difference in sound quality, now way ! More than I am expected.
I think it will be the same for the Squeezebox Classic : http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.php/Hardware_comparison

That said, I think a cheaper dac than the Bifrost Uber will improve also the sound in a satisfactory manner.
(As I said, the dac of my CD player is just as good if no better in my opinion so I plan to sell my Bifrost Uber to buy a Nad Dac MDC 2, which fits into the Nad amp .)

Thanks for the feedback. Does the NAD MDC 2 work independently of a NAD amp?

Mar 6, 2014 at 12:54 PM Post #788 of 1,448
One of the black screws near the IEC (power) connector stripped out on me.  Probably my fault, but I felt kinda bad about that.  The other black screw back there is fine, so it holds together nice and tight.  Should have time to do some listening tonight.

The "problem" is, I went from an Asgard 1 to an Asgard 2 at the same time as I did the Uber upgrade.  So if it sounds better, who knows which component I have to thank for that.  Which is not a bad problem to have.  :)      

Mar 6, 2014 at 1:06 PM Post #790 of 1,448
  One of the black screws near the IEC (power) connector stripped out on me.  Probably my fault, but I felt kinda bad about that.  The other black screw back there is fine, so it holds together nice and tight.  Should have time to do some listening tonight.

The "problem" is, I went from an Asgard 1 to an Asgard 2 at the same time as I did the Uber upgrade.  So if it sounds better, who knows which component I have to thank for that.  Which is not a bad problem to have.  :)      

Same happened to me. Again a poor design choice on their behalf. You notice they used very coarse screws for that part to try and get better grip in the soft plastic of that IEC part which was not mean to be screwed into like that.

Mar 6, 2014 at 1:20 PM Post #791 of 1,448
Same happened to me. Again a poor design choice on their behalf. You notice they used very coarse screws for that part to try and get better grip in the soft plastic of that IEC part which was not mean to be screwed into like that.

Same happened to me as well!

Mar 6, 2014 at 2:05 PM Post #792 of 1,448
Mar 9, 2014 at 6:31 PM Post #794 of 1,448
hey guys looking to get the Bifrost Uber, yet wanted to know more info, as far as i see here the Treble is extended and crispy, which i really like

what does make me worried and even sell the DAC on sight is the mid range, is it dry? laid back a little? nothing is worse than Dry mid range for a female vocal :<

thanks in advance for the info ^^

currently on the WA7's DAC, Musical mid range , not warm , nice treble extension, yet its the time to get a "DAC Only" option, 
i hated the concero and any warm amp. 

Mar 9, 2014 at 7:02 PM Post #795 of 1,448
  hey guys looking to get the Bifrost Uber, yet wanted to know more info, as far as i see here the Treble is extended and crispy, which i really like

what does make me worried and even sell the DAC on sight is the mid range, is it dry? laid back a little? nothing is worse than Dry mid range for a female vocal :<

thanks in advance for the info ^^

currently on the WA7's DAC, Musical mid range , not warm , nice treble extension, yet its the time to get a "DAC Only" option, 
i hated the concero and any warm amp. 

The Uber removes some grain. Treble is smooth. Midrange is nice. Bass is tight.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back