Schiit Bifrost Uber Analog Upgrade
Sep 25, 2013 at 2:53 PM Post #436 of 1,448
I have Bifrost in for repair right now.  They have had it 2 1/2 weeks and I'm still waiting.  I'm guessing they are very busy because I also had some slow email responses.  Maybe it has to do with a move they were making.  Not sure when that was supposed to be though.

Sep 30, 2013 at 5:00 PM Post #438 of 1,448
I currently own an ODAC, if I want to upgrade to a bifrost should I get it together with the Uber upgrade? What are the improvements that I should gain over the ODAC? I've listened to a DIY DAC 7010 and it was light-years better than my ODAC, it had better bass extension much punchier, great treble extension which was smooth. Would I get better or similar quality from a bifrost uber? I'm running a LittleDot MKIV SE amp with a fostex t50rp and a HD650

With my small budget I was planning to first get the Bifrost without Uber than later get it since I have a very tight budget.

Oct 9, 2013 at 8:40 AM Post #439 of 1,448
Analog uber-upgrade installed today!:)
My LCD-2s sound a bit less closed-in. Nice change!:)

Oct 9, 2013 at 11:28 AM Post #440 of 1,448
I have a question regarding the installation of the Bifrost uber analog board. Please mind I am completely not a technical person and have no experience with such things at all.

So the question is: when inserting the pins of the circuit board, should I move "the row of plastic little somethings (cubes)" (don't know what the technical name) all the way down, or they can be left wherever. Do their position make any difference in regards to the installation of the board (inserting the pins)?

Thank you and sorry for such a newbie question:wink:

Oct 9, 2013 at 11:50 AM Post #441 of 1,448
  I have a question regarding the installation of the Bifrost uber analog board. Please mind I am completely not a technical person and have no experience with such things at all.

So the question is: when inserting the pins of the circuit board, should I move "the row of plastic little somethings (cubes)" (don't know what the technical name) all the way down, or they can be left wherever. Do their position make any difference in regards to the installation of the board (inserting the pins)?

i'm not very technical myself, but i did install the uber board myself
the only thing i had to adjust at all, was a round thingy(capacitor?) when screwing in one of the screws at the corner
just a gentle nudge, everything else lined up properly,
at my first attempt, i didn't have it lined up properly, all the pins were not in sockets, the bifrost would not play
took back apart, lined up properly, boom ! music

Oct 9, 2013 at 1:46 PM Post #442 of 1,448

Have you already purchased the upgrade? Or are you inquiring about the pictures you've seen? I haven't purchased the upgrade yet, but I would discourage attempting this yourself if you have never say built your own PC. The upgrade isn't all that complex to swap out from the feedback I have read here, but there are multiple ways to "screw things up" for those who rush the process or don't have a steady hand. Just my 2 cents...

Oct 9, 2013 at 1:55 PM Post #443 of 1,448

That black plastic cube things should be left where they are, no need to push them down. They give more stability to the pins when you install the board, so the pins have less chance of buckling. Has no other effect on anything. 

Hope that helps!

Oct 9, 2013 at 7:24 PM Post #444 of 1,448

That black plastic cube things should be left where they are, no need to push them down. They give more stability to the pins when you install the board, so the pins have less chance of buckling. Has no other effect on anything. 

Hope that helps!

Thanks for the answer!

In this case I can tell (to all non-technical people here) that the installation is really very simple - you can easily do it yourself:)

Oct 9, 2013 at 11:58 PM Post #445 of 1,448
  Thanks for the answer!

In this case I can tell (to all non-technical people here) that the installation is really very simple - you can easily do it yourself:)

you're welcome! it really is a simple unplug and plug in the new card. the "hardest" part was lining up the LEDs lol... 

Oct 10, 2013 at 7:22 AM Post #446 of 1,448

you're welcome! it really is a simple unplug and plug in the new card. the "hardest" part was lining up the LEDs lol... 

i was having a real hard time, until i used a pair of long nose, needle nose pliers , simple then

Oct 11, 2013 at 7:00 PM Post #447 of 1,448
I received an UberFrost today from the mail.
It seems like the seller on head-fi didn't even open it when I bought it lol.
This DAC is going to be ran through a Little Dot 1+ with an LME4990 op amp and Voshkod tubes.

Oct 11, 2013 at 7:33 PM Post #448 of 1,448
  I received an UberFrost today from the mail.
It seems like the seller on head-fi didn't even open it when I bought it lol.
This DAC is going to be ran through a Little Dot 1+ with an LME4990 op amp and Voshkod tubes.

sweet
i want to get another little dot

Oct 11, 2013 at 8:31 PM Post #449 of 1,448

sweet
i want to get another little dot

The Uberfrost sounds underwhelming to me, so does the little dot. 
Would it be ok to leave my bi-frost on for a little over 4 days straight to burn it in?

I'm currently burning in my GE-JAN 5654W's  at the moment......

I'm gonna let my brother not even listen to the "burned in" Little Dot and Bi-Frost for 5 days. I'll see if there's an improvement.
And he'll see if there's a difference in sound quality on the fifth day as well. 

Oct 11, 2013 at 8:48 PM Post #450 of 1,448
  The Uberfrost sounds underwhelming to me, so does the little dot. 
Would it be ok to leave my bi-frost on for a little over 4 days straight to burn it in?

I'm currently burning in my GE-JAN 5654W's  at the moment......

I'm gonna let my brother not even listen to the "burned in" Little Dot and Bi-Frost for 5 days. I'll see if there's an improvement.
And he'll see if there's a difference in sound quality on the fifth day as well. 

when i got my bifrost it was a demo, already had some hours on it, so not sure how big a difference the burn in made
now when i had a modi, i found it a little harsh , after a couple of days, much better, no harm leaving it on overnight.
as for the little dot, tubes can change significantly with some hours on them, but don't leave it on for more than 6-8 hrs
one of the great things about the little dot is tube rolling is pretty cheap
what headphones are you using ??

Users who are viewing this thread

Back