Schiit Bifrost Uber Analog Upgrade
Oct 12, 2013 at 4:51 PM Post #466 of 1,448
Debating...Any thoughts on the Peachtree Dac-IT?

I found this comparison, but that is based on the non-Uber.

http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?133568-Entry-Level-DAC-Comparison-Results

My set-up is PC -> Marantz SACD8004 (likely being replaced, DAC upgrade, too boring/cloudy) -> Lyr -> HD800/AD2000X (warm, mid-centric Audio Technica headphone)

Oct 12, 2013 at 5:10 PM Post #467 of 1,448
  Debating...Any thoughts on the Peachtree Dac-IT?

I found this comparison, but that is based on the non-Uber.

http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?133568-Entry-Level-DAC-Comparison-Results

My set-up is PC -> Marantz SACD8004 (likely being replaced, DAC upgrade, too boring/cloudy) -> Lyr -> HD800/AD2000X (warm, mid-centric Audio Technica headphone)

i had both at the same time, and the bifrost wasn't uber at the time, they are both very close, both very good, and really about equal, just different, i liked the peachtree's top end better, silky, but the botton end not quite what the bifrost had
to me, the bifrost just more complete, so that, and the ability to upgrade led me to keep it, with no regrets !

Oct 27, 2013 at 11:00 PM Post #468 of 1,448
Bifrost + BitPerfect = Redundant? 

I am just starting my audiophile journey and was wondering if the above statement is true. I have the following stack:

Retina Macbook going to
Bitfrost USB Uber going to 
Meier Aria (via RCA) going to 
1964 V6-Stage IEMs

Since Schiit philosophy is to play tracks in their native formats without up converting, is there still value in BitPerfect with a Schiit DAC? 

Edit: I should also mention that I am feeding it a variety of 24/192 down to 24/88 quality files.  

Oct 30, 2013 at 12:24 AM Post #469 of 1,448
Can anyone compare sound quality for USB vs. Toslink on the Schiit Uber?

Wondering if there is a need to go for the USB upgrade, or if sound quality will be nearly as good using optical out of my Mac?

Oct 30, 2013 at 11:49 AM Post #470 of 1,448
  Can anyone compare sound quality for USB vs. Toslink on the Schiit Uber?

Wondering if there is a need to go for the USB upgrade, or if sound quality will be nearly as good using optical out of my Mac?

Ok, this isn't going to be a 3 page write up or a blind A/B testing on 20 songs, but:

I do have the Uber and when it was initially received used exclusively USB to my iMac.  Always sounded great,
on a whim I picked up a toslink cable and tried it, and immediately lost "features" which lead to a degradation in sound clarity, separation, sounds stage.

1.  iMac toslink can only output 24/96.   "lost" some resolution obviously from 24/192 files and a few DSD tracks.
2.  I LOVE Audirvana+ software as it has a great Integer mode feature for DACs that squeezes every last drop of clarity, tight bass, soundstage of out the source tracks.
alas, Audirvana+ can not do Int mode to the BiFrost Uber when hooked up via Toslink, only over USB.

the combination of equipment, software and tracks means I'll always be using Bifrost Uber with USB from here on out.
If you want a good but cheap Toslink cable drop me a PM.   
wink_face.gif

Oct 30, 2013 at 3:42 PM Post #471 of 1,448

Ok, this isn't going to be a 3 page write up or a blind A/B testing on 20 songs, but:

I do have the Uber and when it was initially received used exclusively USB to my iMac.  Always sounded great,
on a whim I picked up a toslink cable and tried it, and immediately lost "features" which lead to a degradation in sound clarity, separation, sounds stage.

1.  iMac toslink can only output 24/96.   "lost" some resolution obviously from 24/192 files and a few DSD tracks.
2.  I LOVE Audirvana+ software as it has a great Integer mode feature for DACs that squeezes every last drop of clarity, tight bass, soundstage of out the source tracks.
alas, Audirvana+ can not do Int mode to the BiFrost Uber when hooked up via Toslink, only over USB.

the combination of equipment, software and tracks means I'll always be using Bifrost Uber with USB from here on out.
If you want a good but cheap Toslink cable drop me a PM.   
wink_face.gif

Oh wow, I though Toslink would have sounded better, I think it's time for a USB ubgrade!
Btw what USB cable are you using?

Oct 30, 2013 at 3:50 PM Post #472 of 1,448
  Oh wow, I though Toslink would have sounded better, I think it's time for a USB ubgrade!
Btw what USB cable are you using?

Note that I didn't do an apples to apples comparison of
a)  24/96 toslink with Audirvana+  
vs.
b)  24/96 USB  with Audirvana+

because a) simply was not possible.

nor did I compare:
c)  24/96 toslink  without Audirvana+
vs
d)  24/96 USB without Audirvana+
and it's possible that c) may come out ahead.  I don't know.

but since I own Audirvana+  along with USB it really makes it shine, and USB allows higher res source playback (iMac limits toslink output)
that's what I select/use because those factors combined *together* "sound better" than toslink without Audirvana+.

USB cables used =
Virtue Audio  1M
and
Wireworld Starlight 7  1M

HTH,

Oct 30, 2013 at 6:25 PM Post #473 of 1,448
Jexby, thanks for writing up your experience with USB vs. Toslink on the Bifrost.

Looks like USB is the way to go. Problem is that pushes the price of the Bifrost into some serious competition, especially when I'll also need to figure in the cost of shipping overseas. Hmmmm.........

Oct 30, 2013 at 6:35 PM Post #474 of 1,448
Jexby, thanks for writing up your experience with USB vs. Toslink on the Bifrost.

Looks like USB is the way to go. Problem is that pushes the price of the Bifrost into some serious competition, especially when I'll also need to figure in the cost of shipping overseas. Hmmmm.........

Before you go ahead with USB, I want to emphasize again that the comparison was more of an apples-to-orange type of thing because the Toslink setup is kind of crippled. Bear in mind that it is a 24/96 Toslink vs a 24/192 USB comparsion. With those specifications, I'd certainly hope that the USB sounds nicer than the Toslink.

It'd be in your interest to find out what kind of Toslink output your audio source (your computer / laptop, probably?) is capable of outputting before writing off the Toslink (and however much the USB board adds to your overall costs). The difference should be a lot smaller (or nearly non-existent) if both the Toslink and USB are sending out the same signals -- and ideally, the Toslink should give a superior sound quality.

Oct 30, 2013 at 11:17 PM Post #476 of 1,448
  Using a macbook pro. Looks like the toslink is limited to 24/96.

I did A/B on my Uber version and I honestly can't hear a difference, mind you I don't have 32/192 content.  USB is convenient for devices that have no optical out like most laptops.  If your macbook has optical and you are tight for money I am sure you will 99% happy.  The last 1% I blame the obsession of getting the better option just because you know it's there.

Oct 30, 2013 at 11:31 PM Post #478 of 1,448

I did A/B on my Uber version and I honestly can't hear a difference, mind you I don't have 32/192 content.  USB is convenient for devices that have no optical out like most laptops.  If your macbook has optical and you are tight for money I am sure you will 99% happy.  The last 1% I blame the obsession of getting the better option just because you know it's there.

if you have a mac,
I dare your ears to get a 15 day trial of Audirvana+, use it as the software that "connects" to your BiFrost Uber via USB.  Set A+ Prefs to Integer Mode. Use it in iTunes "piggyback mode" even.
use all your same cables, use all your same tracks 16/44, whatever.
and then compare audio quality to "plain" 24/96 Toslink.

it's a very distinctive difference, night. and. day.
and way beyond the "1% obsession".

Oct 30, 2013 at 11:42 PM Post #479 of 1,448

if you have a mac,
I dare your ears to get a 15 day trial of Audirvana+, use it as the software that "connects" to your BiFrost Uber via USB.  Set A+ Prefs to Integer Mode. Use it in iTunes "piggyback mode" even.
use all your same cables, use all your same tracks 16/44, whatever.
and then compare audio quality to "plain" 24/96 Toslink.

it's a very distinctive difference, night. and. day.
and way beyond the "1% obsession".

Now this is just my option and I am not a Mac user so...For my setup I use Foobar2000, output to WASAPI event mode and don't turn on any DSPs and volume is at 100% in player.  So it basically means your are streaming bit-perfect to your DAC.  Any software or plugin that make the sound "better", better being subjective, is if alters the sound.  Most people would go after bit-perfect output and leave it up to the DAC and Amp to tweak the sound to their liking.  I don't know of Audirvana+ but I assume it's a software for playing music off you Mac.

Perhaps I am wrong and please tell me if I am.  I have much to learn still in the world of head-fi :)

Oct 30, 2013 at 11:49 PM Post #480 of 1,448

I don't know if this helps, maybe overstepping my bounds... But here goes.

I have a non-upgraded Bifrost with gen1 USB. After owning it for almost 2 years, I can safely say the USB, as handy as it is, quickly shows its limitations sonically, compared to Optical or Coax. Music is just more lively from the latter over USB. It not a massive difference, but noticeable enough to take away a certain energy.

(Pure speculation here on out) An Uber Upgrade should accentuate the differences between the two inputs even further. The second gen USB may or may not be worth the upgrade to you. I decided to not push the Schiit Upgrade path due to the inevitable ceiling. The money can be better spent on a larger upgrade vs. just the topping off the Bifrost. If you were buying a new Bifrost, I think the upgraded USB would be worth the price at the time, but it kinda feels like a get "double dippin" fee to upgrade.

I like how you put it... 1%.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back