Schiit Bifrost 4490 impressions
Mar 24, 2016 at 1:37 PM Post #166 of 467
  Hello!

Looking into purchasing the Bifrost 4490 for myself.

I'm currently using the Valhalla 2 and Modi 2 (non-uber), paired with Sennheiser HD800.

I'm having a hard time finding if the upgrade is worth it. Some say that the Bifrost will have small differences,  while some say it's a larger upgrade than going from the Vali to the Valhalla 2. 

Not sure what to do.

Please help!

Since you have a non-uber Modi 2, the Bifrost 4490 is essentially a significant upgrade. When I say significant upgrade, I mean on a small scale but very well worth it if you have the money to spare. I would say go for it, even more so since you have HD800s. If you can't hear a difference, like then one guy on here said, then your ears just aren't good enough or you haven't listened to the pre-upgrade long enough for your brain to memorize the details. 

Mar 31, 2016 at 12:07 AM Post #167 of 467
Ground loop problems with the Schiit Bifrost USB Gen. 2 module.

Problem: Garbled computer noise from the Schiit Bifrost 4490 (USB Gen. 2) through my Schiit Asgard 2 amplifier at high volumes when not playing any music.

Solution: Found some interesting things with my Bifrost unit. I found that there was some slight noise - garbled digital computer noise that just repeated itself over and over again at high volumes through my Asgard 2 when I wasn't playing any music - playing through my Grado SR80i (although it could not be heard at all while playing music).

I unplugged everything, and at first, I thought it was power problems or the noise was coming from the RCA outputs or cables.

I eventually traced it back to a USB issue and the noise disappeared completely when I unplugged the USB cable from the computer. Evidently, the noise was still present when the Bifrost was switched off, but still plugged in via USB.

The noise completely disappeared when I unplugged the USB cable from the computer.

Wondering if SPDIF is a better way to connect a source? Anyone care to comment on this? Will a USB to SPDIF converter or a Schiit Wyrd solve this issue? Has anyone tried this?

I hope this is useful (in any way) for any Bifrost 4490/Asgard 2 owners who have the same similar problem.

Hope this is useful to anyone :)

Thanks.

Mar 31, 2016 at 2:36 AM Post #168 of 467
I used to use USB, always had issues. SPDIF is isolated, so no chance for issues there. I use a glass cable (the cheap amazon one) and its a completely jaw dropping experience from my 4490+Asgard

Mar 31, 2016 at 4:55 AM Post #169 of 467
  Wondering if SPDIF is a better way to connect a source? Anyone care to comment on this? Will a USB to SPDIF converter or a Schiit Wyrd solve this issue? Has anyone tried this?

While I have no personal experience with this usecase, my understanding is that USB will always pick up hi-freq noise and pass it downstream to the DAC and amplifier unless you use Bentley-priced USB solutions, north of $1-2K, with galvanic isolation. While a Schiit Wyrd will probably help in as much it could provide a buffer wrt hi-freq noise, it too has no galvanic isolation.

Here's a nice primer on galvanic isolation:
http://www.epanorama.net/documents/groundloop/digital_audio.html

One way around this is to use an USB to SPDIF converter. These are usually quite expensive, but a cheap solution at 70$ could be the Musiland Monitor01 USD. (Unless you speak Chinese, best to access their site via the English version.) It will take your USB and output SPDIF via RCA or BNC Coax, or Toslink. Toslink is the only one bulletproof to NOT pass any electrical noise downstream the audio chain, but if you use optical it's important to use a good glass cable like the Lifatec, also a ~70$ solution. All told, this solution would come in the same pricing ballpark as a Wyrd...

Mar 31, 2016 at 9:12 AM Post #171 of 467

Problem: Garbled computer noise from the Schiit Bifrost 4490 (USB Gen. 2) through my Schiit Asgard 2 amplifier at high volumes when not playing any music.

Solution: Found some interesting things with my Bifrost unit. I found that there was some slight noise - garbled digital computer noise that just repeated itself over and over again at high volumes through my Asgard 2 when I wasn't playing any music - playing through my Grado SR80i (although it could not be heard at all while playing music).

I unplugged everything, and at first, I thought it was power problems or the noise was coming from the RCA outputs or cables.

I eventually traced it back to a USB issue and the noise disappeared completely when I unplugged the USB cable from the computer. Evidently, the noise was still present when the Bifrost was switched off, but still plugged in via USB.

The noise completely disappeared when I unplugged the USB cable from the computer.

I hope this is useful (in any way) for any Bifrost 4490/Asgard 2 owners who have the same similar problem.

Thanks.

If you don't want to go straight to bentley-priced, start with the wyrd.

Mar 31, 2016 at 10:22 AM Post #172 of 467
  Hello!

Looking into purchasing the Bifrost 4490 for myself.

I'm currently using the Valhalla 2 and Modi 2 (non-uber), paired with Sennheiser HD800.

I'm having a hard time finding if the upgrade is worth it. Some say that the Bifrost will have small differences,  while some say it's a larger upgrade than going from the Vali to the Valhalla 2. 

Not sure what to do.

Please help!

The biggest difference with the Bifrost 4490 (and all Bifrost versions - except for the Multibit - as I don't have one) and the Modi 1, is that it is slightly louder (2V RMS), more coherent, sharper, clearer and bass extension is slightly improved - the bass sounds tighter and more coherent. You will loose some soundstage depth (in my opinion) due to it sounding a little "fuller" than the Modi 1 (but not sure with the Modi 2 as I don't have one). I would say that you would gain around a 20-40% increase in audio quality (depending on your audio setup).

But both DACs in my opinion, are more towards the "analyitical" side.

Hope that helps :)

Mar 31, 2016 at 10:28 AM Post #173 of 467
Not Bentley priced, but not Yugo priced either - the Gustard U12 is, to my ears, a significant upgrade to the USB input on the Bifrost 4490.

Mar 31, 2016 at 11:51 AM Post #174 of 467

Thanks.

I try to stay away from USB as much as possible due to driver issues and electronic interference, optical is a much cheaper and better solution, never had any issues with optical so far, digital coax would be my second choice.

Mar 31, 2016 at 12:20 PM Post #175 of 467
  Since you have a non-uber Modi 2, the Bifrost 4490 is essentially a significant upgrade. When I say significant upgrade, I mean on a small scale but very well worth it if you have the money to spare. I would say go for it, even more so since you have HD800s. If you can't hear a difference, like then one guy on here said, then your ears just aren't good enough or you haven't listened to the pre-upgrade long enough for your brain to memorize the details. 

The one gripe I have with Schiit's DAC line-up is they have such a huge gap between the Modi 2 Uber and Bifrost 4490. Don't get me wrong, the Modi 2 Uber is still a very versatile and budget-friendly DAC but something in the range of $250-300 is much needed in their line up to round it off.

Mar 31, 2016 at 12:22 PM Post #176 of 467
  The one gripe I have with Schiit's DAC line-up is they have such a huge gap between the Modi 2 Uber and Bifrost 4490. Don't get me wrong, the Modi 2 Uber is still a very versatile and budget-friendly DAC but something in the range of $250-300 is much needed in their line up to round it off.

There are rumors of a Modi 4490.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back