Schiit Bifrost 4490 impressions
Apr 1, 2016 at 9:29 AM Post #181 of 467
Maybe tough to squeeze a 4490 into a Modi case?

Guys...

Look at the size of the CEntrance DACport. You can make a box contain a 4490 that is really small. There may be other technical difficulties from the perspective of Schiit, which would need to be addressed. And you also have to think first, is it a significant sonic upgrade.

But it can be done small.

Apr 1, 2016 at 9:38 AM Post #182 of 467
4490 wouldn't be an issue in a small case. Thinking of Multibit and all,  if you take a look at the Bifrost pictures on the Schiit site you can see where the Multibit board is pretty long. Multibit isn't "affordable" so between this and that I doubt we'd see a Modi Multibit or anything of that sort, at least in any near future.

Apr 1, 2016 at 4:33 PM Post #183 of 467
RickB

Multibit has a larger circuitry due to resisor ladder and the current voltage conversion unit. Schiit even mentioned the constraints they used just to fit the multibit in the Bifrost chassis.

Apr 2, 2016 at 3:21 PM Post #184 of 467
I decided to play "musical chairs" with a bunch of my components the other day and ended up moving the Vali 2 out of my night table setup replacing it with my Lake People G109S amp. That was a good move indeed for 2 reasons. First, the transparent nature of this amp got out of the way of the signal coming from the Bifrost 4490 (and preceding source - FiiO X5ii coaxial out). Second the effortless power of the G109S makes both my HD650 and HE500 shine in a way that the V2 just couldn't.

Although I really like the Vali2 it just seemed to be the weak link in the chain and kind of clogged up the 4490's capability, not to mention underwhelm these demanding headphones. I believe these components are now much better balanced resulting in a much more satisfying experience.

Since I also have the Bifrost MB I just had to hear how it sounded in comparison to the 4490 in this setup. As expected, also very balanced with the equipment in this component chain. Sound-wise equally as good as the 4490 but with a bit more clarity and detail. Interestingly enough though I preferred the 4490's more impactful bass, not as precise sounding as the MB, but more fun sounding with the HD650 and HE500. I decided to leave the 4490 in the bedroom system, returning the MB back to my main 2 channel speaker system.

As for the Vali 2, it along with a Schiit SYS, has joined the existing Modi and Magni2U tethered to my iMac. Now there is a comical 4 high Schiit Stack allowing me to toggle between amps, as well as, a pair of Audioengine A2 powered speakers...LOL! Perhaps just too many choices on this system, something's going to have to eventually go.

Apr 2, 2016 at 11:28 PM Post #185 of 467
You're a lucky fellow, also, for those reasons I chose the 4490 over the MB.

Apr 3, 2016 at 5:33 PM Post #186 of 467
As for the Vali 2, it along with a Schiit SYS, has joined the existing Modi and Magni2U tethered to my iMac. Now there is a comical 4 high Schiit Stack allowing me to toggle between amps, as well as, a pair of Audioengine A2 powered speakers...LOL! Perhaps just too many choices on this system, something's going to have to eventually go.

We need a picture, for the future generations. Tallest Schiit Stack to date!

Apr 3, 2016 at 8:26 PM Post #188 of 467

What...no Wyrd?

Weak.  
evil_smiley.gif

Apr 4, 2016 at 8:22 AM Post #190 of 467

Hi Tuneslover.

I want to self-install the 4490, and although it does look simple I'd like to make sure I'm undertaking the change correctly. Can you tell me where the pictorial guide you mentioned is located please?

Many thanks

Apr 4, 2016 at 9:11 AM Post #191 of 467
For anyone looking for a good instructional procedure, including pictures on how to upgrade your Bifrost to an Uber card (AS WELL AS the 4490 card) then this link does a very nice job of illustrating how to do this.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/661444/schiit-bifrost-uber-analog-upgrade/15#post_9405695

The original poster is:  toschek (many thanks!)
It can also be found in this thread:
SCHIIT BIFROST UBER ANALOG UPGRADE
Page2, Post #25.

Apr 9, 2016 at 10:42 AM Post #192 of 467
  For anyone looking for a good instructional procedure, including pictures on how to upgrade your Bifrost to an Uber card (AS WELL AS the 4490 card) then this link does a very nice job of illustrating how to do this.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/661444/schiit-bifrost-uber-analog-upgrade/15#post_9405695

The original poster is:  toschek (many thanks!)
It can also be found in this thread:
SCHIIT BIFROST UBER ANALOG UPGRADE
Page2, Post #25.

I second this. I used this procedure when upgrading my Uber to 4490. This post was extremely helpful.

Apr 9, 2016 at 12:26 PM Post #193 of 467
Just curious as to which NOS tubes you have in your system.. I will soon be ordering a 4490 at which point we would have the same setup minus the tubes..What differences did you notice compared to the stock tubes?

Apr 20, 2016 at 6:41 PM Post #195 of 467
2 days in after a 4490 upgrade from the Uber. There is definitely a noticeable difference over the Uber. Not to abuse terms, but instrument separation is noticeably better and music sounds much more natural. I found the Uber to have a bit of bite in the some top end that sometimes made cymbals and vocals sound a little... too metallic? The 4490 provides a nice smooth reproduction. I'm quite happy with the bump for the price and I think I'll be passing on the Multibit option for now an let my ignorance be bliss.

4490 is, without a doubt, worth $70 for Uber owners if you got a few bucks to spare. Not sure if I would say the same if it was much more, however. The differences are noticeable, not mind blowing.

If the Multibit upgrade is too much for you to swallow (It equals out to $400 or so for us Canadians, 4490 was $100 or so) the 4490 is a pretty decent $70 bump IMO.

MacMini->256k to ALAC->Bifrost 4490->Schiit Valhalla 2 NOS tubes->HD600

Edit: For those curious, because I was concerned, install is easy. If you've taken apart a computer before, theres nothing to worry about. Theres a great tutorial on how the upgrade goes in the Uber thread.
Sorry, I am just learning how to quote on this site. I now have the same setup minus the NOS tubes. Which NOS tubes are you using and how do they differ from the stock tubes. I am really enjoying as is but of course there is always room for improvement!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back