Schiit Bifrost 4490 impressions
Mar 18, 2016 at 11:07 AM Post #151 of 467
Hey guys. I'm new to the hifi world and I've got a question. My current set is Bifrost/Lyr2 combo + LCD2's. The last piece in the puzzle is adding a CD player and I wonder will there be a difference if I use a simple, external CD reader connected to PC via USB (and then to the Bifrost) vs getting a "normal" CD player (sth from Denon probably) and connecting it with Bifrost via Coaxial? Thanks!

Get a normal CD player and go optical or coax to Bifrost would be my choice, too many issues with USB going in and out of PC.

Mar 18, 2016 at 11:14 AM Post #152 of 467
Hey guys. I'm new to the hifi world and I've got a question. My current set is Bifrost/Lyr2 combo + LCD2's. The last piece in the puzzle is adding a CD player and I wonder will there be a difference if I use a simple, external CD reader connected to PC via USB (and then to the Bifrost) vs getting a "normal" CD player (sth from Denon probably) and connecting it with Bifrost via Coaxial? Thanks!

If you have an Android phone, you can rip CDs to an SD card and pick up an OTG cable and and use that as your source into the USB in. The upside to that is now you've got all your music while you're out and about.
Edit: if you do this, download the USB audio pro app. This ensures a bit perfect stream to the bifrost with no interference from the phone

Mar 19, 2016 at 1:00 AM Post #153 of 467

Best to rip your music to a hard drive, and run it to the bifrost via Optical/Coax. Most CD players sound like crap when compared to HD Aiff/Wav files.

Mar 21, 2016 at 8:22 AM Post #155 of 467
Deleted (expectation bias !!).
I added my new impressions here.

Mar 22, 2016 at 6:26 AM Post #156 of 467
  I received the 4490 Bifrost last week. I could not be happier, this is much better than the analog output of my NAD Wireless Dac 2.
The Bifrost cost me a lot with taxes + shipping to France (around 530 €), but I really do not regret my purchase, and listen again with pleasure to my favorite albums .
I like the very natural sound, airy and soundstage. Great finesse and authority at the same time.
A keeper!

Next time buy it at Schiit-Europe. It's 449 euro. I'm thinking of purchasing the 4490 too. Or maybe Multibit. Hard choice 
basshead.gif

Mar 22, 2016 at 10:28 AM Post #161 of 467
Thank you for your answers, I'll order with them next time!

Mar 23, 2016 at 5:53 PM Post #162 of 467
Hello!

Looking into purchasing the Bifrost 4490 for myself.

I'm currently using the Valhalla 2 and Modi 2 (non-uber), paired with Sennheiser HD800.

I'm having a hard time finding if the upgrade is worth it. Some say that the Bifrost will have small differences,  while some say it's a larger upgrade than going from the Vali to the Valhalla 2. 

Not sure what to do.

Please help!

Mar 23, 2016 at 6:08 PM Post #163 of 467
  Hello!

I'm currently using the Valhalla 2 and Modi 2 (non-uber), paired with Sennheiser HD800.

I'm having a hard time finding if the upgrade is worth it. Some say that the Bifrost will have small differences,  while some say it's a larger upgrade than going from the Vali to the Valhalla 2. 

Not sure what to do.

Please help!

I found the Bifrost 4490 to be a very noticeable upgrade to the Modi 2U. I'm extremely happy I got it. I like it so much that originally I was planning on upgrading to Multibit later on, but now I'm satisfied enough with it that I'm stopping here.

Mar 23, 2016 at 6:39 PM Post #164 of 467
  Hello!

Not sure what to do.

Please help!

I went from Bifrost uber to MB and the difference is not that big to my GF and I, we did a little side by side comparison and while the MB has improvements over the Uber its not something that is easy to notice.  By easy to notice I mean someone who has not spent time listening to better hi-fi equipment will notice it.  Between the Modi2uber and Bifrost Uber most of our friends don't detect any difference, between the Modi2uber and MB it was noticed by 1 in 7 of our friends so far, I would take this as its noticeable but not something that I would consider a large improvement.  The differences can also be taken to be another sound signature vs an improvement/upgrade depending on your preference.  Like everything on these threads YMMV.  I'm still on the fence on updating my uber to 4490 or just getting a new 4490 or even another DAC all together like MHDT Pagoda or AudioGD DAC-19.

Mar 23, 2016 at 11:50 PM Post #165 of 467
Chances are you won't notice a difference, and if you do it will be miniscule. This is coming from someone who bought one this year..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back