Schiit Bifrost 4490 impressions
Mar 3, 2016 at 10:00 PM Post #136 of 467
I'm running the Bifrost Multibit, but was wondering if anyone has had any issues with the Bifrost over USB and hard freezes in Windows 10? I'm trying to eliminate all of the possibilities but I built a new PC around the same time I got the BFMB so it's hard to pinpoint.

Zero Issues with Bifrost MB with Windows 10 over USB input. However, I use iFi's iUSB 3.0 to supply the BFMB with linear 5V USB power rather than rely on my Surface Pro 3's USB power to minimize any power/connectivity issues.

Mar 4, 2016 at 6:17 AM Post #137 of 467

Zero Issues with Bifrost MB with Windows 10 over USB input. However, I use iFi's iUSB 3.0 to supply the BFMB with linear 5V USB power rather than rely on my Surface Pro 3's USB power to minimize any power/connectivity issues.

No issues here, either.  I think the freezing issue and the Bifrost are unrelated.  My Bifrost is plugged directly into my laptop's USB.

Mar 4, 2016 at 9:04 AM Post #138 of 467

No issues here, either.  I think the freezing issue and the Bifrost are unrelated.  My Bifrost is plugged directly into my laptop's USB.

I agree, I think my mouse is the issue, but like I said I got everything around the same time. It's hard to pinpoint hard freezes with no error codes or output.

Mar 4, 2016 at 6:37 PM Post #139 of 467
My 4490's USB section completely crapped out on me yesterday. My pc nor smartphone recognize and ive tried a different usb cable at no avail. Ive had for about 4 months and about 98% powered on all the time. I think having it powered on constantly may have had something to do with it but thats just my guess. Anyways, I've sent it back to Schiit for repair. I just want to let yall know that. I cant stand a week without it. And i have no use for the other 2 inputs just the USB section.

Mar 4, 2016 at 8:25 PM Post #142 of 467
Mar 7, 2016 at 4:09 PM Post #143 of 467
Here's one disadvantage I've found with the Bifrost 4490 over my old Modi2U: it is detailed enough that it easily reveals any flaws in the recordings I listen to. Stuff that I didn't really notice with the Modi is very apparent. It kind of activates my perfectionism (I won't misuse the term OCD.) but I'm starting to get used to it.

Mar 16, 2016 at 4:01 AM Post #144 of 467
I think listening to a DAC takes time, hard to A/B.. but to let the subtle differences show themselves.

Mar 16, 2016 at 5:43 AM Post #145 of 467
Most downsize about Bifrost for me is that it play Hi-res file in Only 16bit delta-sigma!!

Mar 16, 2016 at 6:09 AM Post #147 of 467
  Most downsize about Bifrost for me is that it play Hi-res file in Only 16bit delta-sigma!!

While Schiit's docs are confusing on this, I suspect the 16-bit part holds only for the MB version.

The AK4490 DS chipset will happily play 24-bit files, and Schiit clearly specifies that it accepts up to 24/192 for all inputs. Since the DS version will not work with Mike's closed-form filter but with AKM's own filter, I'd guess that Bifrost DS leaves the input alone and passes it directly to the AK4490.

Mar 17, 2016 at 12:59 PM Post #148 of 467
Hey guys. I'm new to the hifi world and I've got a question. My current set is Bifrost/Lyr2 combo + LCD2's. The last piece in the puzzle is adding a CD player and I wonder will there be a difference if I use a simple, external CD reader connected to PC via USB (and then to the Bifrost) vs getting a "normal" CD player (sth from Denon probably) and connecting it with Bifrost via Coaxial? Thanks!

Mar 17, 2016 at 2:18 PM Post #149 of 467
Hey guys. I'm new to the hifi world and I've got a question. My current set is Bifrost/Lyr2 combo + LCD2's. The last piece in the puzzle is adding a CD player and I wonder will there be a difference if I use a simple, external CD reader connected to PC via USB (and then to the Bifrost) vs getting a "normal" CD player (sth from Denon probably) and connecting it with Bifrost via Coaxial? Thanks!

dedicated CD player has fewer things that can go wrong.  CD drive -> USB -> computer -> USB -> Bifrost has a lot of areas that things can go wrong.  If implemented well, it could perform just fine, but there's always a chance every time something goes through a USB hub that it picks up some uglies.

Mar 18, 2016 at 3:30 AM Post #150 of 467
I don't know why anyone would do PC -> USB -> Bifrost with optical being supported. Best IMO would be go Internal CDRom first.. not USB.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back