Schiit Audio Lyr: My First Impressions
Apr 2, 2011 at 1:10 AM Post #76 of 135

Quote:
I'm listening to the Lyr with the HD800's  as I write this, and it makes a mighty fine pair.

I almost, ALMOST bought a HD800 yesterday. But at the very last moment i chose the Beyer T1s.

I also placed an order for the Lyr. Should be here in 3 weeks or so. Will post impressions then.

Apr 2, 2011 at 1:11 AM Post #77 of 135
Ladies and Gentleman my Lyr has arrived.

I added it to my iDecco system. The iDecco pulls pure digital info from my ipod. I then use the iDecco's PreAmp out to go into the Lyr. iDecco has a nice DAC.

I warmed up the Lyr for around 4 hours. I can't believe how perfectly it fits on top of my iDecco. I am listening to it right now for the first time. My LCD2 have been crying for this kind of power. It's as if after 2 months of city driving I have finally taken the Porsche on the highway (freeway, autobaun).

Only one word pops to mind so far for the Lyr...Mother*#*##.  (I'm sorry that's all I can think of at this time).

I need some time give my full review.

Apr 2, 2011 at 9:53 AM Post #78 of 135
Agreed - Lyr & HD800 sound very nice together - there are just so many combinations for me to play with now - I feel like Dr Frankenstein in a mortuary full of olympic athletes and scientists & my inventory is pretty small compared to alot of Head-Fiers in here! I don't know how some of you guys do it, I would never leave the house, just stay at home and listen & tweak & listen & tweak & listen & etc etc...................................

Apr 4, 2011 at 6:11 PM Post #81 of 135
I've had my Lyr for almost a week now.  My unit is *dead quiet* with both my LCD-2's and HD800's, even at full volume.  No hum, no hiss.  Like Jude said, you'd probably have to plug in something ultra-efficient to hear any hiss/hum.  I've also been amazed at how similar the headphone out of my Lavry DA11 and the Lyr sound, I've been having a real hard time detecting any differences so far.  Perhaps I need more time or maybe it's just my 40-something ears.  Many folks feel, as long as the amplifier is well-designed and with adequate power, that the source and headphones are most/more important.  I've been seriously considering going balanced to see if that makes any difference ...  The HeadRoom BUDA seems like a good choice?

Apr 4, 2011 at 7:14 PM Post #82 of 135
Could I ask you if you can compare your Oppo 95 with the Oppo 83SE which I have... in 2 channel sound only. I started off with the 83 and when they came out the Special Edition version, I sent mine out for them to upgrade to the SE. It sure made an exceptional CD/SACD player out of it. It's also a good Blu Ray video player, but it's the 2 channel sound that I was after.

I would like to have the Netflix feature that the 95 has, but does it have any better sound qualities than the 83SE? If you know. Thanks.

Apr 4, 2011 at 7:27 PM Post #83 of 135

Quote:
Ladies and Gentleman my Lyr has arrived.

I added it to my iDecco system. The iDecco pulls pure digital info from my ipod. I then use the iDecco's PreAmp out to go into the Lyr. iDecco has a nice DAC.

I can't believe how perfectly it fits on top of my iDecco.

I'm sure not trying to butt into your business, but since you are posting publicly, I guess I can publicly submit a reply.

Question: Do you really intend to leave that nice amp on top of that other amp? That is not good both sonically and physically. All equipment like that needs its own space, sitting on a good surface... and even the surface makes a difference in the sound. Try a maple block versus a granite slab... both good surfaces, but you will hear a difference... something like tubes versus good solid state.

Also, the heat being generated by both amps into each other will definitely shorten the life of both. But, even during the life, it will distort some of the sound when the heat rises above the normal levels inside the chassis.

This may not bother you, but it might help someone else who is getting started off in this world of music reproduction... whether with ear phones or speakers.

Thanks for letting me intrude.

Apr 4, 2011 at 11:35 PM Post #84 of 135

Quote:
I'm sure not trying to butt into your business, but since you are posting publicly, I guess I can publicly submit a reply.

Question: Do you really intend to leave that nice amp on top of that other amp? That is not good both sonically and physically. All equipment like that needs its own space, sitting on a good surface... and even the surface makes a difference in the sound. Try a maple block versus a granite slab... both good surfaces, but you will hear a difference... something like tubes versus good solid state.

Also, the heat being generated by both amps into each other will definitely shorten the life of both. But, even during the life, it will distort some of the sound when the heat rises above the normal levels inside the chassis.

This may not bother you, but it might help someone else who is getting started off in this world of music reproduction... whether with ear phones or speakers.

Thanks for letting me intrude.

Thanks for the advice. I haven't tried separating the 2 units. I will try that.

Apr 6, 2011 at 4:25 AM Post #85 of 135
Thanks for the very informative review, jude.

Will you be getting around to listening critically to the Lyr with your K340 sometime soon? I will be most interested in that review since I bought two pairs of K340s after hearing the oldtimer for the first time at the recent Bay Area meet. And the only amp I have working right now is pathetically underpowered.

Feb 6, 2012 at 11:42 AM Post #88 of 135
Hello, I'm a newbie audiophile with Senn HD650 and FiiO E7/9 combo.
I am planning to get a Schiit, but I don't know which Schiit (lol) will be the best for me.
Although I currently have only the HD650, I will soon upgrade it to HD700 or HD800.
Also, which DAC will go along well with this set up?

Feb 6, 2012 at 11:00 PM Post #89 of 135

Quote:
Hello, I'm a newbie audiophile with Senn HD650 and FiiO E7/9 combo.
I am planning to get a Schiit, but I don't know which Schiit (lol) will be the best for me.
Although I currently have only the HD650, I will soon upgrade it to HD700 or HD800.
Also, which DAC will go along well with this set up?

As far as Schitt amps go, I liked the Valahalla at RMAF with HD600/800 - it's an OTL amp and good with high impedance phones, power was good, and it worked well with both phones.  There aren't many amps out there that I liked with the HD800.

Feb 14, 2012 at 1:12 AM Post #90 of 135
Thank you for the feedback!
I decided to go for the Lyr and I love it!!!
6moons said some really good things about HD800 and Lyr, and I might get ortho somewhere down the road, so I thought I should invest in something long-term.
I probably won't buy another amp in a loooooooong time.
Can't wait to tube roll and save up for Bifrost
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back