Schiit Audio Lyr: My First Impressions
Mar 12, 2012 at 4:17 PM Post #121 of 135

This is my perspective setup. I have Bifrost/Lyr combo and just sold my LCD-2 to finance HD800 purchase. I'm gonna use that mainly for classical.

It's reassuring to hear that Lyr and HD800 are a good combo!

Quote:
Well. I'm using my Lyr for more than 4 months with HD800. And I don't have any cause to sell it and to buy more high-class (and more expensive) headphone amp.

Mar 13, 2012 at 3:54 AM Post #122 of 135
Yes, Lyr is a good choice for ~500$. It can even vie with more expensive amps. The only one thing it does not as good as his more expensive colleagues is soundstage - it is not big enough in my opinion in comparison with, for example, SPL Auditor (but it costs twice more than Lyr!).

The main advantage of Lyr is soulful and a little bit warm sound, because of hybrid construction. It also has deep and powerful bass - that is a good quality to drive HD800, which I suppose have not as "big" bass as should be (in comparison with good speaker system).

Mar 13, 2012 at 10:49 AM Post #123 of 135

Quote:
Well. I'm using my Lyr for more than 4 months with HD800. And I don't have any cause to sell it and to buy more high-class (and more expensive) headphone amp.
Two months ago I have bought a pair of Philips E88CC. And they made Lyr's sound much better.

And I also heard HD800 with Valhalla. Although it sounded good, it wasn't as good as Lyr (with just 6BZ7 tubes, which are far from what Philips shows). Lyr has better transparency, wider soundstage, richer detail and airier heights. And Valhalla doesn't have any spare power, while Lyr feels good with HD800 at less than half of volume.

Yes, there is quite low-frequency hum if you turn off music. But it is not important for me, because HD800 are not very sensitive to hear this hum clear enough.

All in all, Lyr is a good choice for HD800 for it's price. In the sequel you can change tubes and make it sound better.

HD800 is 300ohm, like HD650, is it not?  Unless there's something specifically unusual about HD800 I'll say you really shouldn't be hearing a hum from the Lyr.  I have no such issue with either my HD650 (300ohm) or my K702 (60-something ohm).  Not on two Lyrs. They're pitch black, dead silent.

I had an event last week involving a hum/whine/buzz on both Lyrs that drove me crazy and lead me to think that I had simply not noticed before (audible even over music) and made me even consider that K70x wasn't a good match.  It turned off that a CFL light dimmer, somewhere else on the same breaker circuit was sending the buzzing through the entire line.  I turned the light off, and the noise went away again.   So if it's severe enough distortion it can be anywhere on the line that the source of the disturbance can be.  Appliances, dimmers, other electronics, etc.  I'd bet, unless HD800 has much more sensitivity than both HD650 and K702 and is revealing a hum that my can't resolve, I'm guessing you have either a bad tube or something on the power line causing problems.   There's always phantom power supplies
biggrin.gif

Mar 13, 2012 at 12:12 PM Post #124 of 135
Yes - HD800 have 300 Ohms too.
I think the problem is in tubes. After 1-2 hours of working hum decreases, but not dissapears. I have such a "problem" with both matched pairs of tubes: stock GE 6BZ7 and Philips E88CC SQ (although SQ are more "talkative" than GE). I wrote "problem", because that is not a problem for me at all - this hum is very quiet and when I turn on the music I can't hear it.
I don't think that any of my other devices cause this hum. But I have also Senns HD280, which are much more sensitive than HD800 and can hear that hum louder through them.

Mar 13, 2012 at 1:09 PM Post #125 of 135

Quote:
Yes - HD800 have 300 Ohms too.
I think the problem is in tubes. After 1-2 hours of working hum decreases, but not dissapears. I have such a "problem" with both matched pairs of tubes: stock GE 6BZ7 and Philips E88CC SQ (although SQ are more "talkative" than GE). I wrote "problem", because that is not a problem for me at all - this hum is very quiet and when I turn on the music I can't hear it.
I don't think that any of my other devices cause this hum. But I have also Senns HD280, which are much more sensitive than HD800 and can hear that hum louder through them.

It's certainly possible it's the tubes themselves, but I'm still betting there's something on the power line somewhere causing it.  Dimmers, ballasts, appliances, can all do it.  I was amazed when my dimmer-induced buzz made it past the power filter (not a conditioner or anything, but a nice isolated banked industrial surge protector.)

If you can't hear it over the music it's certainly not a problem (my buzz was higher frequency and thoroughly annoying on quiet passages of classical music.) But it did educate me on the nature of power line issues for audio, even when nothing else is at all affected, and how even the extensive filtering in the internal power supply of the Lyr couldn't stop that kind of noise. Scary, really. And we wonder why our non-audio electronics have a habit of going pop for no reason?

Mar 13, 2012 at 3:58 PM Post #126 of 135
 I'm expecting delivery of the Lyr,as we speak...
I will be using them with 2 sets of headphones ..the LCD2 & the hd 598.

In a recent e-mail to Jason at Schiit,when I asked him about using the hd598 with the Lyr..here was part his reply:
  "Lyr is much more dynamic and "alive" than Asgard, and is very good with the LCD-2s. However, it may be a little much for the 598s."

Just wondering,has anyone tried this combination ..lyr/598 & if so,what were the results?
Would it be a good idea to upgrade to say the ..HD 650?

Any info/advise will be appreciated

Mike

Mar 13, 2012 at 8:57 PM Post #127 of 135
Please guys, I need some help on taking my Schiit Lyr's volume knob off! Really been trying with no sucess. How can I do so, please? Pics would be awsome! But, I'd be happy just  knowing what tool I have to use on it, again, please.

Thank you very much!

Mar 16, 2012 at 5:37 PM Post #129 of 135
I need some help with an issue I got with Lyr:
I've always used no-breaks into anything electric (good, hight wattage APC ones, always) all my life and never had a problem, I hate when I something I'm using is just turned off by any kind electricity problems (line failures and such). With the Lyr tough, whenever the no-break goes to battery mode, it just starts this strange static noise (that continues until the energy gets back and the no-break goes back to line mode).
NONE of my various other audio equipments ever showed any problem with batteries. I wonder what can I do to fix this and use the Lyr with the no-break on battery mode with ZERO static/distortion.
I've already tried an Ortofon AC-4000Q and an Audioquest NRG-4 power cables with the Lyr in all my various no-breaks and it changed nothing... Whenever the Lyr is powered by a battery, it starts allot of static noise trough the Headphones.
Please, help me with this one!

Thanks!

Mar 30, 2012 at 3:22 PM Post #130 of 135

Quote:
 I'm expecting delivery of the Lyr,as we speak...
I will be using them with 2 sets of headphones ..the LCD2 & the hd 598.

In a recent e-mail to Jason at Schiit,when I asked him about using the hd598 with the Lyr..here was part his reply:
  "Lyr is much more dynamic and "alive" than Asgard, and is very good with the LCD-2s. However, it may be a little much for the 598s."

Just wondering,has anyone tried this combination ..lyr/598 & if so,what were the results?
Would it be a good idea to upgrade to say the ..HD 650?

Any info/advise will be appreciated

Mike

I have a pair of 598's that I use with my Lyr regularly.  They sound great.  I'm just careful not to overdrive them.

Stri

Oct 8, 2012 at 3:39 PM Post #131 of 135
Quote:
I need some help with an issue I got with Lyr:
I've always used no-breaks into anything electric (good, hight wattage APC ones, always) all my life and never had a problem, I hate when I something I'm using is just turned off by any kind electricity problems (line failures and such). With the Lyr tough, whenever the no-break goes to battery mode, it just starts this strange static noise (that continues until the energy gets back and the no-break goes back to line mode).
NONE of my various other audio equipments ever showed any problem with batteries. I wonder what can I do to fix this and use the Lyr with the no-break on battery mode with ZERO static/distortion.
I've already tried an Ortofon AC-4000Q and an Audioquest NRG-4 power cables with the Lyr in all my various no-breaks and it changed nothing... Whenever the Lyr is powered by a battery, it starts allot of static noise trough the Headphones.
Please, help me with this one!

Thanks!

The answer is very simple. Most UPS devices don't generate a very clean sine wave. (They're intended for computer equipment, which simply isn't that fussy. Computers are perfectly happy with anything that even vaguely resembles a sine wave.) The noise generated by the APC is simply getting through the power supply on the Lyr, whose filtering just isn't good enough to eliminate all of it.

Unfortunately, power cables DO NOT filter out line noise. That is a myth propagated by the marketing department to get your money :) At most, a really well shielded power cable could prevent noise from leaking in from some external source (like if you lived next to a radio tower), but a power cord will not, even a little bit, remove noise that comes in the end with the power. (There is a very remote possibility that a power cord could help if the noise is leaking out of the wire and being picked up by the tubes, and so bypassing the Lyr's filtering. For that you could TRY a nice $12 shielded power cable intended for a computer monitor. It probably won't help, but it might, and you're only out $12.) What you need is an actual power filter. Even some power filters may or may not help - it sort of depends on the design of the filter and the actual specifics of the type of noise. You need an actual FILTER (aka a noise suppressor) and not just a surge suppressor.
(A surge suppressor is designed to protect your equipment from dangerous surges and may not be so good at removing plain old not-dangerous noise.)

Honestly, unless you have lots of power outages, the obvious easy answer is to stop running your equipment off the UPS. UPS's simply aren't a very good source of clean power.

If you're into DIY, then you could easily build yourself a nice power filter (think inductors on the line and capacitors across it). There are decent commercial ones, but I don't know offhand which the decent ones are and you could spent a lot of money for various "audiophile" ones that are not all all useful or helpful. Any true power REGENERATOR should put out a clean sine wave, but they tend to be rather overpriced.

kLevkoff

Oct 8, 2012 at 4:55 PM Post #132 of 135
I remember this discussion from a while back, we found that some of the better UPS supplies actually provide power through the battery all the time, so these are isolated from AC issues. But most of the consumer-level devices don't; they just pass the AC power unless there is a power failure. I don't remember the terminology for these different technologies.

Mar 15, 2013 at 2:03 PM Post #133 of 135
Hello everyone.  I just received my Lyr and let me say its very well constructed and heavy for its size.  A very good thing to see its build like a tank.  That aside is this amp solely built for low impedance phones like LCD-2?  I mean it sounds harsh and pretty bad with my HD650 and Beyer DT-990 600ohm.  But with the LCD-2.2 its great.  I havent roll the tubes yet cause they still in mail but once i do they are Valvo E88CC Red Label. 

I have a DT990 and Headroom Micro amp/dac so I was just about to pull the trigger on a Schiit Lyr amp and read this. Still feel the Lyr sounds harsh with the Beyer DT990? Very interested to get some more feedback on this...

Jun 30, 2013 at 8:23 AM Post #135 of 135
Luisn,
I used that combination about 18 months ago,& I really liked it
A lot depends on the tubes you use,& the type of music you prefer...many feel the HD650 is a warm sounding headphone,I actually loved it.,& was extremely comfortable to wear.

One person ,you might want to PM on this, is Paradoxper ,he sold me his 650's,& used it with many,many different types of tubes on the Lyr.
IMHO ,I think Para is an expert on this combo.-just my .02

Good Luck

Users who are viewing this thread

Back