Schiit Audio Lyr: My First Impressions
Mar 25, 2011 at 4:31 PM Post #46 of 135
 I'm the same way, thats why I've been so dam patient. I might go the same route, I'll see how you what you think about that set up, and decide to what to do after that. Sorry to use you as a test lol. Any idea when your Lyr will arrive?

Mar 25, 2011 at 4:56 PM Post #47 of 135

Quote:

I also have to wonder how dac dependent the Lyr is

Specifically with the LCD2's the Lyr is extremely dac dependent, to the extent that the combo will easily expose the deficiencies of budget dacs when compared to higher quality sources, imho. The pop pulse 1796 is a decent budget dac, but really is thrashed by the other sources (SQ-12 upsampling cd and scoutmaster / dyna karat) even through the 24/192 inputs, doesn't even deserve comparison. Your setup looks quite good. The LCD2 / Lyr combo is such a doggone steal, all that money saved should be used for the best quality source / dac one can afford

Mar 25, 2011 at 6:41 PM Post #48 of 135
MLE have you considered the DacMagic? Multiple inputs, found on amazon which i know to you is kind of important, and pretty solid reviews.

Mar 25, 2011 at 9:29 PM Post #49 of 135

Quote:
Specifically with the LCD2's the Lyr is extremely dac dependent, to the extent that the combo will easily expose the deficiencies of budget dacs when compared to higher quality sources, imho. The pop pulse 1796 is a decent budget dac, but really is thrashed by the other sources (SQ-12 upsampling cd and scoutmaster / dyna karat) even through the 24/192 inputs, doesn't even deserve comparison. Your setup looks quite good. The LCD2 / Lyr combo is such a doggone steal, all that money saved should be used for the best quality source / dac one can afford

Maybe when I have some free time I'll try it out with the dac part of the Audio-gd Compass or for that matter, hook up the LCD-2/Lyr to the NuForce Icon uDAC-2 that I use at work. That should show just how big of a difference the EE Minimax Tube Dac will have on the sound.

Mar 25, 2011 at 10:34 PM Post #50 of 135
MLE have you considered the DacMagic? Multiple inputs, found on amazon which i know to you is kind of important, and pretty solid reviews.

For under $400, it is hard to beat. A bit on the brighter side of neutral, but still quite good and revealing DAC.

Mar 25, 2011 at 10:57 PM Post #51 of 135
Very nice review Jude. One of these is on my short list of amps to get once I've finished a couple of other amp projects.

Mar 26, 2011 at 3:30 PM Post #52 of 135

Quote:

The DacMagic was the first one I thought about, but then I saw it was a bit outdated and heard there are better products near that price range. I'm also looking for something somewhat a LITTLE more aesthetically pleasing, lol.

Mar 26, 2011 at 4:09 PM Post #53 of 135

Quote:

The DacMagic was the first one I thought about, but then I saw it was a bit outdated and heard there are better products near that price range. I'm also looking for something somewhat a LITTLE more aesthetically pleasing, lol.

Yup and a few people mentioned it being slightly bright, I don't need my DT990's being any brighter than they already are. Want everything neutral.

Mar 26, 2011 at 4:23 PM Post #54 of 135
How is it that you have owned every single headphone I have owned? XD

Mar 26, 2011 at 5:04 PM Post #55 of 135
You have been through every  "mid fi" headphone lol, and you still don't have the Pro 900's.

Mar 26, 2011 at 5:12 PM Post #56 of 135
Well I'd be taking a step backwards if I went there, nor do I have a need for it, though I probably would have stopped there for my closed headphones had I not bought the D7000. I greatly prefer velour pads.

Lol, I didn't try THAT many mid-fi phones, though I did try the most commonly recommended ones except the HD650, and Grados which I'd love to try at some point, though I know I won't.

Mar 26, 2011 at 6:15 PM Post #57 of 135
Thats cool. I listen to a ton of trance so I doubt I'm going to like the d7000's more than the Pro 900 for that genre, but for every else probably out class it

Mar 26, 2011 at 6:26 PM Post #58 of 135
I listen to a lot of trance too, and I can say the D7000 pulls it off extremely well. Well enough that it wouldn't make me wanna get another headphone for the genre, but I do understand. I certainly wouldn't turn down the Pro 900, in fact I considered just getting it and skipping on an open compliment to the D7000 altogether. I just really need a velour padded headphone when the D7000 gets too hot on my ears. Hopefully the HE-4 won't disappoint.

Mar 26, 2011 at 7:17 PM Post #59 of 135
Yeah. I just listen to enough where I want a headphone that beasts the electronica genre, even the Dt 990's are amazing for tance. just to let you know tho the Pro 900's are a lot bigger than you might expect..pictures make them look small, their not. But if your getting the Lyr go for something else. Any idea when the Lyr is shipping?

Mar 26, 2011 at 9:13 PM Post #60 of 135
I am interested to hear how the Lyr compares to the Asgard and Valhalla for headphones like the HD600/650/Grado's.

If it sounds just as good with these phones as Asgard and Valhalla do, then the Lyr is a better buy because of it's versatility.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back