Schiit Asgard: Unboxing and First Impressions
Jul 21, 2010 at 5:01 PM Post #436 of 1,717

Quote:

Since I am a newbie I will research on my own what "single ended" means.

The point being that I am thinking my system will be built starting with the Asgard, with plans then being to work toward getting 325s and a DAC/Disc source that will match well.

Thanks.

Hey cpetkus,

I was a newbie once. In fact I was a newbie 11 months ago so I still consider myself new to all of this. It is exciting, yes? The Asgard is a very good start indeed. Have fun learning--I still am.
bigsmile_face.gif

Jul 21, 2010 at 5:05 PM Post #438 of 1,717
Now that you mention it, I'm still a newbie too.  I learn new things every day about our hobby.  It's still exciting after 50 short years of being immersed in the hobby.  Actually, I was messing with headphones quite a bit before that, but ya gotta draw the line somewhere!

Jul 21, 2010 at 9:06 PM Post #440 of 1,717

You can find more pictures if you look at Jason's profile and in his album
http://www.head-fi.org/gallery/album/view/id/0/user_id/153898

Jul 22, 2010 at 12:09 AM Post #441 of 1,717
Just a quick question.  First, I think it's great Schiit gives its customers a free 15-day trial.  But, what happens to the amps that are returned?  Are they sold as open box, refurbished, or sold as new in box?  I'd hate to order one and get someone's 15-day cast off.  

Jul 22, 2010 at 12:22 AM Post #442 of 1,717

Quote:
Just a quick question.  First, I think it's great Schiit gives its customers a free 15-day trial.  But, what happens to the amps that are returned?  Are they sold as open box, refurbished, or sold as new in box?  I'd hate to order one and get someone's 15-day cast off.  

I think Jason is going to have to answer this question.

Jul 22, 2010 at 2:07 AM Post #443 of 1,717

Quote:

That's a great question. I'd hate to pay full price and end up with someone else's open box item.

Jul 22, 2010 at 10:02 AM Post #444 of 1,717
This amp would be #1 on my shopping list if I hadn't just bought a Gilmore Lite for the same price. There will always be better deals on the used market, but I think Schiit Audio has a great business plan here.They found a huge need in this community for a powerful sub $300 solid state headphone amp and filled it.

Jul 22, 2010 at 5:44 PM Post #445 of 1,717
Schiit doesn't recycle well :) They do not sell returns as new. Apparently the return rate is low, but they will eventually offer  a special on "Demo" units (Which is what they become when returned). They of course will thoroughly QC the returns before offering them at a slightly reduced price.

How much of a reduced price?  I don't believe that they have decided that yet, I think it depends on the actual return rate, and it's entirely too early for this to be determined.

I've been emailing Jason and these were a couple of the subjects that we discussed.

Knowing the business I'd Guesstimate that the "Discount" on QC'd returns is likely to be somewhere between 5% and 20%, but that's my guess (not based upon anything except my vast and infinite knowledge of the audio business
wink_face.gif
).

I received an Asgard today (Listening to it with HiFiMan HE-5LE at the moment
bigsmile_face.gif
) and so far I like the overall package. It's a serious business like piece of Kit. So far so good, I need another amp like I need another hole in my head, but I seriously doubt that I'll be sending it back. The Jury however remains out.

FYI - I'll be bringing it to the NJ meet on Saturday - until which it'll be playing non-stop.

Jul 22, 2010 at 6:29 PM Post #446 of 1,717
Quote:
Schiit doesn't recycle well :) They do not sell returns as new. Apparently the return rate is low, but they will eventually offer  a special on "Demo" units (Which is what they become when returned). They of course will thoroughly QC the returns before offering them at a slightly reduced price.

Yep I also asked Jason about B stock Asgards. He said they would have some information posted about them on the site soon. As Yikes said, they will be requalified or have minor cosmetic flaws. The only thing is they won't carry the 15-day guarantee but will still have the 5-year warranty. Not sure if any of this is set policy yet but I'd imagine Jason will clear that up shortly. Very nice guy and replied very fast (something like an hour after I emailed him).

Jul 23, 2010 at 2:24 PM Post #447 of 1,717

Quote:

FYI - I'll be bringing it to the NJ meet on Saturday - until which it'll be playing non-stop.

Schoot! (get it?)  I'll be out of town this weekend...was looking forward to a local meet and would have loved to hear the Asgard!

Bill

Jul 23, 2010 at 10:07 PM Post #448 of 1,717
I received my Asgard today and have spent a few hours listening to my FLAC collection with my Matrix DAC.  Headphones are HD650's.  This amp would still be considered good if it was double the price, I'm very impressed so far.

Jul 23, 2010 at 11:01 PM Post #449 of 1,717

Quote:
I received my Asgard today and have spent a few hours listening to my FLAC collection with my Matrix DAC.  Headphones are HD650's.  This amp would still be considered good if it was double the price, I'm very impressed so far.

still thinking about getting the valhalla as well?

Jul 23, 2010 at 11:15 PM Post #450 of 1,717
Speaking of the Valhalla, anyone know of any "early adopters" incentive deals or head-fi discounts being offered? Or will the pre-orders cost retail as well?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back