Schiit Asgard: Unboxing and First Impressions
Jul 19, 2010 at 11:35 PM Post #406 of 1,717
Hey, y'all. We're less than a month away from the next little Schiit--the Valhalla. I can't hardly wait to give that a whirl from the get-go. And no tube-rolling recommended (at least out of it's tube family)--even better to concentrate on its sound signature. The NEXT count down begins!

Jul 20, 2010 at 12:16 AM Post #407 of 1,717

Quote:
It all depends upon where you decide to draw the line, Steve.

It's the rules that draw the line, Ken. If the rules say that implied profanity is prohibited, then implied profanity should be prohibited, period. The rule shouldn't be imposed on members only to look the other way just because someone had the huevos to intentionally use implied profanity when it came to he name of their company. Or to prohibit any mention of drugs and impose it on members only to look the other way just because some company chose to name one of their products after a drug.

That's just bald faced hypocrisy no matter how you slice it and I don't see how you can expect anyone to take the rules here seriously with such a two-faced approach.

Quote:

We could pretend that the company doesn't exist, and ignore the existence of what is turning out to be a very fine head-amp available for an entry level price.  

So instead you opt for hypocrisy? Punishing members in one instance, but turning a blind eye to commercial entities in other instances?

Why not putting a little thought into how absurd it is to try and sanitize a forum such as this so that it would meet the approval of the Children's Television Workshop?

Quote:

We can refer to the amp by it's actual company name, Schiit, or we could refer to it as the company web site does and call it Shee-tah...

The company only pronounces it "Shee-tah" in jest. In the next sentence, they say "Or, well, no. Yep, Schiit is our name, and it's pronounced exactly like you think. As in 'Hey man, that's some really cool Schiit.' Or, 'We like music and Schiit.'"

Quote:

Do we turn a blind eye to a company name whose product happens to be capable of bringing great enjoyment to many who would otherwise not be able to afford it?  A company who is trying to help the ailing American economy by bringing some design, engineering, and manufacturing back to these shores instead of selling us out?  You bet!

And in turning such a blind eye you reveal yourselves as hypocrites. You reveal that the rule against implied profanity is ultimately meaningless and insincere.

And what if it was a company who was outsourcing to China? Then you wouldn't turn a blind eye?

Quote:
Are we going to take ourselves so seriously that we turn something away because its company name sounds like a grade "b" bad word if people choose to pronounce it that way, even though it's a high value product, and at the same time ignore grade "b" behavior as long as people use nice words?

And what about a grade "a" "bad word"? If I name my company Fək and come out with a killer headphone amp, would any mention of it here be prohibited? Really? 

The entirety of your post amounts to one thing. You don't REALLY care about implied profanity here and that some may find it offensive. I mean, others finding it offensive is the only reason to have such a rule in the first place. To those folks, who would be no less offended just because the implied vulgarity happens to be a company's name, you're effectively telling them you don't really care that they may be offended. That there are more important things than their being offended. Like, headphone amps.

And if you don't really care, then why not just get rid of that stupid rule altogether?

se

Jul 20, 2010 at 12:34 AM Post #408 of 1,717

Quote:
Hey, is this thread about DACs or about the Asgard?  
blink.gif

Where are we going with this? Is this thread about profanity or the Asgard? "A Schiit by any other name" is still an incredible amp. Let's count our blessings and all get along." This headphone amp is the reason for this thread anyway; it is what brought us together. In an audio world of options, options, and more options, the Schiit is a welcomed breath of fresh air; or is it the sound of fresh air?
normal_smile .gif
At any rate, I love my Asgard. So why do you love yours--or otherwise.

Jul 20, 2010 at 12:38 AM Post #409 of 1,717

Quote:
It's the rules that draw the line, Ken. If the rules say that implied profanity is prohibited, then implied profanity should be prohibited, period. The rule shouldn't be imposed on members only to look the other way just because someone had the huevos to intentionally use implied profanity when it came to he name of their company. Or to prohibit any mention of drugs and impose it on members only to look the other way just because some company chose to name one of their products after a drug.

That's just bald faced hypocrisy no matter how you slice it and I don't see how you can expect anyone to take the rules here seriously with such a two-faced approach.

So instead you opt for hypocrisy? Punishing members in one instance, but turning a blind eye to commercial entities in other instances?

Why not putting a little thought into how absurd it is to try and sanitize a forum such as this so that it would meet the approval of the Children's Television Workshop?

The company only pronounces it "Shee-tah" in jest. In the next sentence, they say "Or, well, no. Yep, Schiit is our name, and it's pronounced exactly like you think. As in 'Hey man, that's some really cool Schiit.' Or, 'We like music and Schiit.'"

And in turning such a blind eye you reveal yourselves as hypocrites. You reveal that the rule against implied profanity is ultimately meaningless and insincere.

And what if it was a company who was outsourcing to China? Then you wouldn't turn a blind eye?

And what about a grade "a" "bad word"? If I name my company FÉ™k and come out with a killer headphone amp, would any mention of it here be prohibited? Really? 

The entirety of your post amounts to one thing. You don't REALLY care about implied profanity here and that some may find it offensive. I mean, others finding it offensive is the only reason to have such a rule in the first place. To those folks, who would be no less offended just because the implied vulgarity happens to be a company's name, you're effectively telling them you don't really care that they may be offended. That there are more important things than their being offended. Like, headphone amps.

And if you don't really care, then why not just get rid of that stupid rule altogether?

se

You've conspicuously ignored the other issues I mentioned which constitute a wholesome atmosphere.  Who is being hypocritical?

Steve, you and I clearly disagree about what true wholesomeness is.  You can choose to one of three things.

• Agree to disagree and move forward.
  • Write Jude a PM and convince him to change his mind.
  • Unsubscribe from this site and find your entertainment elsewhere.

I wish you all the Best
Kevin

Jul 20, 2010 at 12:41 AM Post #410 of 1,717

Quote:
Where are we going with this? Is this thread about profanity or the Asgard? "A Schiit by any other name" is still an incredible amp. Let's count our blessings and all get along." This headphone amp is the reason for this thread anyway; it is what brought us together. In an audio world of options, options, and more options, the Schiit is a welcomed breath of fresh air; or is it the sound of fresh air?
normal_smile%20.gif
At any rate, I love my Asgard. So why do you love yours--or otherwise.

Well said.

Jul 20, 2010 at 12:55 AM Post #412 of 1,717
Ok, enough OT.  Let's get the thread back on track.
Thx!

Jul 20, 2010 at 2:20 AM Post #413 of 1,717

Quote:
I finally got around to listen to my Asgard for the first time since receiving it some weeks ago.

HOLY CRAP! You guys weren't kidding, this amp gets hot. I did not install the supplied feet since they looked inadequate for proper heat dissipation from the bottom and instead cut out 4 square styrofoam supports on which to place the amp. It seems to me that Schiit could have vented the bottom part of the chassis too, to allow for better heat dissipation from what is clearly the hottest area of the amp.

Initial impression: it seems to drive the HD800 relatively well and sounds pretty good doing it. I actually kinda like the HD800 with this amp, there's just something about the combo. I don't normally like large soundstages but there's a definite "whoosh" to it that makes it sound really cool. No major complaints yet with the sound but that could change later on as I try out my other headphones on it.

I'll most likely post a full review with comparisons to the HeadAmp Gilmore Lite and SPL Auditor eventually. It'll take some time to do this though, a few weeks at least but probably more. Size comparison note to the Gilmore Lite: if the Asgard were hollow, the GL could completely fit inside it.

Thanks Steve, I was looking forward to your impressions.  Will this be at the CO meet on 8/14?

Jul 20, 2010 at 2:54 AM Post #414 of 1,717
Been listening with the Audio-Technica AD2000 on the amp tonight and all I can say now is that it will be a verrrry interesting comparison between this amp, the GL, and the Auditor. There's a distinctly different presentation that initially threw me off guard and I'm not sure yet if it's a good or bad thing. I can't be more specific as I'm not really doing critical listening yet but the new presentation I'm hearing on the AD2K is defnitely interesting.

And on something not necessarily sound-related, the gain is just a bit too high for fine-tuning with the AD2K. Can still achieve almost any desired volume but more precision would've been nice. The Auditor's lower gain is definitely more useful.

Quote:
How how? Can you keep your hand on the top (put it on the vent, not over the top) for at least 10 seconds?

I can't keep a finger in contact with the bottom of the amp (the hottest area) longer than even 1 second, it's that hot. Even my HeadAmp BHSE power supply which contains voltages far beyond the Asgard isn't this hot to the touch (the BHSE PSU is completely vented top to bottom though).

Quote:
Thanks Steve, I was looking forward to your impressions.  Will this be at the CO meet on 8/14?

Yes, I included it in the gear list I already posted in the meet thread.

Jul 20, 2010 at 3:01 AM Post #415 of 1,717

Quote:
I can't keep a finger in contact with the bottom of the amp (the hottest area) longer than even 1 second, it's that hot. Even my HeadAmp BHSE power supply which contains voltages far beyond the Asgard isn't this hot to the touch (the BHSE PSU is completely vented top to bottom though).

Really? Holy s--- maybe Schiit needs to address this problem anytime soon.
Someone should do a disassemble (of course, after the warranty period, but hey, any brave souls) and check out the parts.
Maybe add a couple of 120mm fans to cool the unit? Maybe tap into the unit somewhere to power the fans?

Jul 20, 2010 at 3:52 AM Post #416 of 1,717
It's only $250, just get another one after 5 years. It's no big deal. These MOSFETs can be safely operated at well over 100 degrees, so it's really no big deal.  I doubt there will be any electron-migration happening in something the size of of these MOSFETs.

Quote:

Really? Holy s--- maybe Schiit needs to address this problem anytime soon.
Someone should do a disassemble (of course, after the warranty period, but hey, any brave souls) and check out the parts.
Maybe add a couple of 120mm fans to cool the unit? Maybe tap into the unit somewhere to power the fans?

Jul 20, 2010 at 9:42 AM Post #417 of 1,717
I feel like a weirdo...I've NEVER in 16 years of the HiFi hobby, touched the bottom of any piece of equipment to see how hot it is...

Bill

Jul 20, 2010 at 9:59 AM Post #418 of 1,717

Quote:
I feel like a weirdo...I've NEVER in 16 years of the HiFi hobby, touched the bottom of any piece of equipment to see how hot it is...

Bill

You probably never encountered any power amp biased into class A operation before.

Jul 20, 2010 at 10:29 AM Post #420 of 1,717

Quote:
I'd say most class A power amps have massive heatsinks and don't simply use the chassis frame for cooling :wink: 

No doubt, you're correct, but then again, how many of them retail at $250.00 and have a 5 year warranty?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back