Schiit Asgard: Unboxing and First Impressions
Jul 24, 2010 at 6:17 PM Post #466 of 1,717
Oooooh, refurbished. I'm in :)

Jul 26, 2010 at 10:35 AM Post #470 of 1,717
I had an opportunity to listen to the Asgard at the NJ meet. I know this has been discussed before but I still think it's worth mentioning, this amp runs very hot for a solid state amp. My GLite, that also runs in Class A, isn't nearly as hot. Even the volume knob on the Asgard was hot.

As for value I didn't think it trumped my Gilmore Lite. That was to be expected given the price differences. The Matrix M Stage, however, is priced close to the Asgard. If the Asgard being made in the USA and the Matrix in China is set aside, how do they sound comparatively? I didn't get to spend any extensive time comparing them directly but I will say I prefer the Matrix over the Asgard. I even preferred the Headroom Micro Amp (which now runs in Class A) over the Asgard.

I think the Asgard is a nice looking amp. It just didn't wow me over. The sources the Asgard I listened to was running through were excellent, including the Perfect Wave DAC. So source wasn't an issue. Running as hot as it did was a concern to me about it's longevity. Even if the casing is used as a heat sink. To me, I just didn't think it performed multiple times over it's price point. I don't think it was close to the GLite or the Auditor. For it's price, it's a nice addition to the amps that are available around the price range. I just wasn't blown away by it.

Jul 26, 2010 at 11:03 AM Post #472 of 1,717

Quote:
Hi guys,

Anyone tried it with an Ipod connected to it ? I am considering buying one for the office use.
I would plug my Ipod directly into the amp......

Thanks

Denys

It works fine for that.  It even comes with an adapter that plugs directly into the headphone jack on your ipod and then into the back of the Asgard.  If you get a good quality Line Out Dock for your ipod, your sound quality will go up far more!

Enjoy!

Jul 26, 2010 at 11:30 AM Post #473 of 1,717
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roscoeiii  
" baka1969,
What cans did you use when listening to the Asgard. It may be that it is a question of synergy. Or of course you may have felt this way across a range of headphones."

Hi,

I listened to the HD800 and the D7000. Two different headphone with different needs. I'm not saying the amp sounded bad, I'm just saying it didn't live up to the overwhelming hype and FOTM status.

Jul 26, 2010 at 11:37 AM Post #474 of 1,717

Quote:
It works fine for that.  It even comes with an adapter that plugs directly into the headphone jack on your ipod and then into the back of the Asgard.  If you get a good quality Line Out Dock for your ipod, your sound quality will go up far more!

Enjoy!

Thank you...

I will probably try the B-Stock.....My Ipod is an 80g with all the music in Apple Lossless....

BTW, I am planning to use my Grado 325 with the amp......Anyone tried it? I know Senn seems to match very well, but as I have an extra pair of 325....

Thank you again

Denys

Jul 26, 2010 at 12:04 PM Post #475 of 1,717

Quote:
Thank you...

I will probably try the B-Stock.....My Ipod is an 80g with all the music in Apple Lossless....

BTW, I am planning to use my Grado 325 with the amp......Anyone tried it? I know Senn seems to match very well, but as I have an extra pair of 325....

Thank you again

Denys

Grado's are groovy!  The Asgard is a really sweet and mellow amp and should mate well with the 325 which can tend to be a little hot on top.

Jul 26, 2010 at 12:07 PM Post #476 of 1,717

Quote:
I had an opportunity to listen to the Asgard at the NJ meet. I know this has been discussed before but I still think it's worth mentioning, this amp runs very hot for a solid state amp. My GLite, that also runs in Class A, isn't nearly as hot. Even the volume knob on the Asgard was hot.

In all fairness, the Asgard runs 6 times the Class A bias of the GLite.

Jul 26, 2010 at 12:25 PM Post #477 of 1,717

Quote:
In all fairness, the Asgard runs 6 times the Class A bias of the GLite.

Thank you for setting the record straight, although, I suspect the person making the comment perhaps doesn't understand the concept, else they wouldn't have made the comment.

Jul 26, 2010 at 2:20 PM Post #479 of 1,717
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwkarth  

" Thank you for setting the record straight, although, I suspect the person making the comment perhaps doesn't understand the concept, else they wouldn't have made the comment."

I conceed the fact that I don't have a grasp on that specific aspect. I also continually offer a grain of salt with what I say. What I will say is the Asgard, to my ears, didn't live up to the overwhelming hype and FOTM status. It didn't sound better than the Matrix M Stage, GLite, Headroom Micro Amp (which now runs in Class A) or Auditor to me. Those amps are not junk. No matter what, it's what sounds better to myself that means the most. No matter how it's biased.

Jul 26, 2010 at 2:24 PM Post #480 of 1,717

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwkarth  

" Thank you for setting the record straight, although, I suspect the person making the comment perhaps doesn't understand the concept, else they wouldn't have made the comment."

I conceed the fact that I don't have a grasp on that specific aspect. I also continually offer a grain of salt with what I say. What I will say is the Asgard, to my ears, didn't live up to the overwhelming hype and FOTM status. It didn't sound better than the Matrix M Stage, GLite, Headroom Micro Amp (which now runs in Class A) or Auditor to me. Those amps are not junk. No matter what, it's what sounds better to myself that means the most. No matter how it's biased.

I wouldn't presume to argue with you about what you heard.  I totally believe you heard what you said.  No worries. 
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back