Saying Hello - and the BURSON HA-160D versus the CORDA CONCERTO + CORDA STAGEDAC
Feb 27, 2011 at 9:23 AM Post #31 of 37
corsair287,

Another advantage is that the Burson has more analog inputs. Build quality strikes me as a notch above the Meier combo, just by virtue of the fact that it is made from massive aluminum slabs.

But, a few things to note:
- The two headphone outs aren't really useful for simultaneous listening. They have very different volume levels and the volume control affects both, so I have a hard time believeing that it is possible to achieve satisfactory volume levels on two sets of cans plugged in at the same time. The two outs are primarily useful insofar as the Burson can drive a pair of low sensitivity headphones with ease, while also being capable of driving high sensitivity IEMs without any background hiss.

- There is an analog RCA out, but it automatically cuts out when you have headphones plugged into one of the headphone outs. This is for convenience when people have the Burson plugged into a full-size stereo system and want to quickly switch between headphones and full system without messing with other gear. As a result, if you listen through the headphone out, then there won't be any signal going through the RCA outputs to your STAX amp. There may be a way to disable this feature/behavior. Check with your dealer.

Best regards,
Adam

Feb 28, 2011 at 1:04 AM Post #32 of 37
I asked this to others, but was hoping to get more/different perspectives on the matter

If one wanted some heavy volume bass with a headphone as, lets say a PRO900, would the HA-160D be a good fit?

The farther you go up the headphone/amp spectrum, the more neutral you get. The mids/highs & soundstage are always fantastic, though the bass is left lacking. This is typical and without problem for most users, as it is great for analytical uses, but those desiring a more theatrical & immersive experience are kept wanting.

I'm really looking for significant body and impact on the bottom end without any distortions. 

Just for reference I went down to Best Buy lately and checked out the XB500's that a fellow head-fier raved about in terms of bass (of course, as in the name itself it's called "Xtra Bass"). I was surprised to have actually become fond of the bass presence & vibrations during the intense moments of certain tracks (though the mid/highs & soundstage were total garbage), it felt all the more captivating, and made other headphones seem anemic in comparison. I'm not looking for the same bass power, but something comparable, and was reading that this Burson produced a slightly warmer signature.

As previously mentioned and as we all are aware, sound gets more neutral, more analytical the higher you go in headphones & amps. Great for studio work, though I (as well as many, many others on head-fi) are in search of the Holy Grail of combinations for both HiFi sound characteristics in low/mid/highs/soundstage and provide a theatrical, immersive bass presence/volume & punch.

I also do not rule out the possibility that such results may require some EQ'ing, so I guess I might be looking for a truly dynamic setup, with warm attributes? Or would that not necessarily be the case?

Feb 28, 2011 at 8:45 AM Post #33 of 37
My advice would be to go for a neutral source and deal with any coloration you want through your choice of headphones and, if necessary, EQ-ing. But to answer your question directly: I have a pair of Sony MDR-XB700s, the big brothers to the XB500s you mentioned. I also have a pair of Ultrasone Pro 900s. A combination of the Burson HA-160D + Ultrasone Pro 900s will knock you on your arse when it comes to bass presence, vibration, punch, slam or any other word you want to use, even without touching the EQ. And the Pro 900s on their own pack enough wallop to knock the XB700s (and XB500s) into another time zone. This has nothing to do with the HA-160D being warm (I think it is actually fairly neutral), but it is more than capable of going low and giving you a good shake when asked to.

I trust that answers the question...
atsmile.gif

Best regards,
Adam

Mar 2, 2011 at 7:43 PM Post #34 of 37
Just received my Concerto+StageDac combo today. I am throughly impressed by the build quality. They looked much bigger in pictures though 
biggrin.gif
. After a short listening session, I am floored by the SQ. The soundstage is huge and the bass is so deep brrrr. Can someone tell me what position is crossfeed on and off? I bought these used and they did not come with the manual. The big Z sounds louder(I'm guessing high gain?)

Mar 3, 2011 at 12:58 AM Post #35 of 37
On the StageDAC, the crossfeed setting is the second switch from the right, labeled "MODE."  The bottom position is speaker crossfeed.  Middle position is no crossfeed.  The top position is headphone crossfeed. 

I don't have the Concerto, but looking at the photos, it looks like the first switch from the left controls the crossfeed.  Top position is crossfeed on, and bottom is off. 

Since the StageDAC gives you more control over the crossfeed with its DELAY and INTENSITY settings, I would suggest use the crossfeed on the StageDAC, and turn off crossfeed on the Concerto.

You can also download the manual for the StageDAC and Concerto from Meier-Audio's website:
StageDAC manual: http://www.meier-audio.homepage.t-online.de/stagedacmanual.pdf
Concerto manual: http://www.meier-audio.homepage.t-online.de/concertomanual.pdf

Mar 4, 2011 at 12:47 AM Post #37 of 37

Users who are viewing this thread

Back