SansaClip+ Rockbox Impressions thread
Feb 15, 2011 at 7:47 AM Post #646 of 1,093

The only player I use with EQ off is my current generation Ipod nano.  Other than that I'm a huge fan of EQ.  Not necessarily because I need EQ, but typical Flat sounding mp3 players just don't have much excitement.  Adding EQ gives music a more lively feel to me. 

Quote:
It depends on whether or not the EQ is important to you. The stock Clip+ sound with the right set of headphones and the EQ disabled is very good, IMO.....but the stock EQ sucks.

Feb 15, 2011 at 12:31 PM Post #647 of 1,093

Quote:
The only player I use with EQ off is my current generation Ipod nano.  Other than that I'm a huge fan of EQ.  Not necessarily because I need EQ, but typical Flat sounding mp3 players just don't have much excitement.  Adding EQ gives music a more lively feel to me. 

Well, adding Rockbox gives a far more effective EQ. You can set the frequency of each of the five bands, etc. And Rockbox helps with battery life, as well....especially if you're not using MP3's on it.FLAC battery life, for example, typically jumps from 6-8 hours up to 15-17 hours. High-bitrate MP3's, in my experience, raised it from maybe 10 hours to a little over 14. Ogg Vorbis also does very well, if you're of that persuasion.

Feb 17, 2011 at 2:49 AM Post #649 of 1,093
for those of you commenting on "card reading noise"  i definately hear it. especially if the volume is up high when its first turned on.  you really cant miss it.   I turned off the auto update function on my rockboxed clip plus b/c it made that noise for too long each time i turned it on (i have 40gb of music on mine so it takes a while to update the database)    I would agreee that once the music starts you cant hear it, unless your music has areas where it gets very quiet mid song.. than it is present.    anyway this is easily remedied, and IMO hardly counts as something i would get upset about or even care about at all.   It is a pretty benign sound anyway but its definitely there.  It coincides perfectly with the little "card reading" icon that appears.

Mar 6, 2011 at 7:03 AM Post #650 of 1,093
Hi, I really like rockbox, especially when voiceover was not yet available on many of the ipods it made a lot of players accessible for me (I am blind). I have always loved the sansa clip, but now I will get the clip+ with rockbox. I only have to find out if I can change the voice htat is used to have menus spoken. Greetings, Anouk,

Mar 6, 2011 at 9:22 AM Post #652 of 1,093
I've recently encountered a problem where the database isn't updating anymore.

Considering the thing was getting bit messy with stuff all over the place, I thought I'd clear it up and remove rockbox, install the normal firmware and format it then install rockbox again.  I'm still having the same problem, can anyone throw some light on this conundrum please?

Mar 7, 2011 at 3:13 PM Post #654 of 1,093
@daniel:  Just tried that with no luck.  It seems like rockbox itself cannot save anything to memory, so it finds everything, but cannot save the database.  Also, everytime I change the theme, when I restart rockbox, it reverts to the original theme.  So I'm thinking it's something to do with the memory becoming locked?

Mar 7, 2011 at 9:45 PM Post #655 of 1,093
Originally Posted by Pageygeeza /img/forum/go_quote.gif
@daniel:  Just tried that with no luck.  It seems like rockbox itself cannot save anything to memory, so it finds everything, but cannot save the database.  Also, everytime I change the theme, when I restart rockbox, it reverts to the original theme.  So I'm thinking it's something to do with the memory becoming locked?

it's a coincidence that i just stumbled on this post, but i read that v3.8 broke database updating/initialising on the clip. you can go back to the stable 3.7.1, should work fine without hanging.

Mar 8, 2011 at 4:31 AM Post #656 of 1,093
Brill, thanks for confirming that!  I had a feeling that's what the case was, but I can't understand why it's still labelled as "stable"

I take it I'll need to install it manually?

Edit:  All fixed now.  Found the threads on the 3.8 issues and rolled back, will probably give it a good clean up again.

Mar 12, 2011 at 4:13 AM Post #657 of 1,093
I just recently installed Rockbox v 3.8 on my Clip +. I think it works well, the features of very precise sound settings are very helpful for getting the sound you want. The database is a riddle, on my Clip + I can still find everything but when playing files it seems to always play in some kind of random mode... which is not all bad, kind of nice to have a "surprise" as to what song will come next !

But, with my Westone 3 phones on high volume and the heavy bass setting I like (+15 to +17dB mostly) the Clip's own headphone amp just doesn't seem to have the "Ooomph" to drive even the tiny Westone 3 phones. The bass just gets clipped & distorted. So, now I have to probably get a tiny suitable portable headphone amp....

Mar 12, 2011 at 9:08 AM Post #658 of 1,093

Quote:
I just recently installed Rockbox v 3.8 on my Clip +. I think it works well, the features of very precise sound settings are very helpful for getting the sound you want. The database is a riddle, on my Clip + I can still find everything but when playing files it seems to always play in some kind of random mode... which is not all bad, kind of nice to have a "surprise" as to what song will come next !

But, with my Westone 3 phones on high volume and the heavy bass setting I like (+15 to +17dB mostly) the Clip's own headphone amp just doesn't seem to have the "Ooomph" to drive even the tiny Westone 3 phones. The bass just gets clipped & distorted. So, now I have to probably get a tiny suitable portable headphone amp....

Sounds like you need bassier IEMs...  +15 dB is insane.  Sure, try an amp, but that could be distortion from insane EQ levels.

Oh, and I finally got around to installing RB on my Clip+.  It's great, I must say.  Much easier to navigate and the options are great.  Crossfeed was what got me to do it, finally.  What a difference on poor stereo mixes!

Mar 12, 2011 at 12:03 PM Post #659 of 1,093

Quote:

That's a lot of bass! I barely go up +3 dB or +4 dB with my M50s and it sounds nice and tight.

Mar 13, 2011 at 5:34 PM Post #660 of 1,093
After running RockBox on my Clip+ for about a month with no any troubles I accidentally took out the SD card while playing. Since that the device can not read any SD card ( I tried three different) even using original Sandisk firmware. It works well on internal memory but got frozen when I switch it on with SD card inside. Any ideas?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back