SansaClip+ Rockbox Impressions thread
Nov 19, 2013 at 1:06 PM Post #826 of 1,093
I don't understand why but somehow I can't seem to RB this little fella.

I got RB Utility and the latest Clip+ original firmware (the .bin file named as clappa). I open the RB Utility program, it detects my Clip+ automatically. I choose Bootloader, Rockbox Firmware and Fonts only. I say install, it asks me to locate the original firmware (.bin file) and says it will do the rest by itself, mod it and put it back to my Clip+ etc etc. I show the file it does the installation, 100%, I safely disconnect my Clip+, turn it off, turn it on and it is still the old Sansa firmware.

Any help?

Edit: Yes I put the Clip+ in MSC mode at the beginning.

Edit 2: I managed to do it, my bad guys, I just forgot to show the correct place in the computer to RB Utility. Now I am gonna enjoy it
happy_face1.gif

Nov 21, 2013 at 10:55 AM Post #829 of 1,093
I have rockboxed my clip+ just wondering what type of flac files it support 16 or 24.

P.S. I am new to this and have just started down loading some flac music so I was wondering if I have to unzip the cue before putting the music on the the clip+ and where do I extract the file to is so.

Nov 22, 2013 at 9:04 PM Post #831 of 1,093
Thank you saratoga, and apparently there was no unzipping of any cue or anything so just drag the folder to the clip+ and it will do the rest

Joe Bonamassa - An Acoustic Evening at The Vienna Opera House  (Disc 1).cue
Joe Bonamassa - An Acoustic Evening at The Vienna Opera House  (Disc 1).flac

this is what the folder contains

Nov 22, 2013 at 9:42 PM Post #832 of 1,093
So just how good does a Rockboxed SansClip+ sound on an absolute scale?  Not on a "this is amazing for $40" scale.  I'm getting a bit exasperated with the Fiio X3's mp3 playback issues and also want to use rockbox's database customization.  Is it really "this is great, period" good?  Or is it just "this is great.... for $40" good?  I do have high-res music, but given current space limitations, I'm probably going to be listening to high bit-rate 16-bit mp3's. Thanks.

Nov 23, 2013 at 12:44 AM Post #833 of 1,093
With 16 bit flac, and my UM3X RC's (Fiio silver cable), I can't really tell the difference between it and my iPhone 4, if that tells you anything.

It sounds very good. The $40 price tag is icing on the cake.

Edit: That said, I have yet to hear the X3.

Nov 23, 2013 at 3:04 PM Post #834 of 1,093
  So just how good does a Rockboxed SansClip+ sound on an absolute scale?  Not on a "this is amazing for $40" scale.  I'm getting a bit exasperated with the Fiio X3's mp3 playback issues and also want to use rockbox's database customization.  Is it really "this is great, period" good?  Or is it just "this is great.... for $40" good?  I do have high-res music, but given current space limitations, I'm probably going to be listening to high bit-rate 16-bit mp3's. Thanks.

Its basically a little better than 15 bit limited when driving 16-300 ohm headphones even when considering THD, etc.  So if you 16 bit audio files, you'll be essentially limited by the CD audio format itself and not the hardware.  Higher impedance and the volume might be a little low for you. 

If you have actual 24 bit files (and not bullcrap where people upsample old low res tapes, CDs, etc to resell as "24 bit"), you'll see some difference with a high quality 24 bit device (but it will have to be a very good 24 bit device).  Quality of the device itself can be a bit hit or miss.  There was a batch of Clip+ units sold a couple years ago with a bit of hiss when accessing the flash memory on very low impedance headphones, although that does not seem to be the case with newer units.  People are still debugging glitches in its USB hardware as well, so on some PCs you might see some USB issues, but that doesn't seem to be super common and worst case you could use the sandisk firmware for usb. 

Dec 2, 2013 at 9:27 PM Post #837 of 1,093
I am considering rockboxing my new Clip+, but I want to know what the UI is like before I decide. Does anyone know of anywhere where there is a tour of the Clip+ Rockboxed UI? Or could someone just post some pictures for me maybe? Thank you in advance for any replies.

EDIT: Also, what EXACTLY all does rockbox change (on the clip+)?

Best regards,
ZokharaFi

Dec 2, 2013 at 9:34 PM Post #838 of 1,093
It adds tons of features and I personally think the UI is way easier to use. I hate the Stock sansa UI.

Its really easy to do and if for some reason you dont like rockbox its easy to go back. Whats cool is you also can have them both on the device at the same time. After you rockbox it you can boot into the stock sansa firmware at any time by holding the home button while you power it on. 

Plenty of pictures here: https://www.google.com/search?q=Sansa+clip+%2B+rockbox&safe=off&espv=210&es_sm=93&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=I0OdUrPQMIrMsAS0s4CYBg&ved=0CAkQ_AUoAQ&biw=1600&bih=808

Users who are viewing this thread

Back