SansaClip+ Rockbox Impressions thread
Aug 22, 2016 at 9:43 PM Post #1,053 of 1,093
It's a very impressive little player. It's too bad it's no longer made, and the used prices are getting out of hand.

I am going thought the menu and its mind boggling the amount of features it has. Granted I have no idea how it runs or sounds stock, I like what I am seeing so far. I am gonna baby this little unit, have to make sure it lives a long life lol. I think Im gonna end up using it more than my FIiO X7 for portability alone :p

Aug 26, 2016 at 4:08 AM Post #1,057 of 1,093
You will probably want to update the build given the huge improvements made in the last few months to rockbox (battery life, USB).

The USB-improvement could be helpful, since I do have problems connecting every once in a while. Do you know if there are any plans to bring back the feature of loading the database into RAM? That is the reason I am still sticking to 3.13. Alternatively, do you have any idea how feasible it would be for me to try to merge that feature back into the new version myself? I am a programmer, but getting into unknown code can take its time, and given that the feature is not back yet I suspect it is not a trivial task in the first place.

Aug 26, 2016 at 2:40 PM Post #1,059 of 1,093
We don't have any plans to do that but improving database speed is something we would obviously like. You could try reverting the file system rework, but I'm not sure if that breaks other things.

Hmm, thanks. Sounds like something bigger, then. Maybe I will just try the dev build with file browsing instead of the database, then.

Aug 27, 2016 at 5:56 AM Post #1,060 of 1,093
i learned one of the few causes of the usb prob i had which bricked 2 of my clips
was plugging it into my pc with the memory card inside
since then, when i add new songs, i take off the card, put in a card reader, insert into pc, add songs
it prolongs the lifespan of my last living clip

Aug 27, 2016 at 6:25 AM Post #1,061 of 1,093
i learned one of the few causes of the usb prob i had which bricked 2 of my clips

was plugging it into my pc with the memory card inside

since then, when i add new songs, i take off the card, put in a card reader, insert into pc, add songs

it prolongs the lifespan of my last living clip

Hmm, I never had a problem like that, yet I always leave the card in - in fact, I sometimes use a Clip+ just as a card reader of sorts. :) But we use several Clips in the family and various computers and operating systems, so I never really bothered pinpointing the exact combination when problems occur. I just replug until it works. It never bricked any of them - hope it stays that way.

Aug 27, 2016 at 7:08 PM Post #1,062 of 1,093

I don't think a USB problem can brick the Clips.  The firmware isn't even stored on the USB mountable storage, so it should be quite safe to do whatever you want over USB.

However, everyone should be running the newer builds with the improved USB stack, as it is much more stable.  

Sep 28, 2016 at 7:14 PM Post #1,064 of 1,093
Would a petition of sorts aid in bringing back a Rockboxable Clip?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back