Sansa Clip Zip or Clip+ ?
Aug 9, 2013 at 11:05 PM Post #226 of 368
I
I have zip which has been rockboxed since the day I bought it so I am not familiar with original firmware.

Has anyone else experienced random lockups where the music stops and on/off button does not respond? But once I pop out the 32GB micro sdhc card (class 10), the zip would unfreeze. Is this related to the zip or rockbox or the sdhc? TIA
s your card formatted as exFat or fat32? It needs to be fat32. That can cause issues.

Aug 9, 2013 at 11:53 PM Post #227 of 368
I
s your card formatted as exFat or fat32? It needs to be fat32. That can cause issues.

That is a good question. Don't remember if I formated before use so I'll will need check. But the zip reads the songs on it.

I've not tried holding down the on/off button for 30 seconds to reset. Usually hold for 10 seconds and then give up and eject sdhc card.

Thanks for the help.

Aug 9, 2013 at 11:58 PM Post #228 of 368
I had problems at first.  Error message on boot randomly.  Power off without being able to turn it back on.  Two things worked for me before formatting to fat32.  Hold the power button as long as it takes or plug it into the computer and turn it on that way.  Otherwise, once I formatted it to fat32 (mine was exFat) I've had not a single problem since.

Aug 10, 2013 at 2:18 AM Post #229 of 368
went to Radio Shack today and bought a Clip+ and a Clip Zip. Figured I would play with them, see which one I like better and give the other to my wife.

I think I like the Clip+ just a little bit better. Ergonomically speaking it is easier to hold in one hand and change tracks. On the Clip Zip the left/right/down buttons are right on the edge of the player. With the CZ I feel like I almost need two hands to work it. Holding it upside down helps, but then I forget left is right and right is left when I want to change tracks.

The center button on the Clip+ is also bigger, which is nice because I have big clumsy sausage fingers.

Both are a joy after struggling with my Fuze+ for a year. Rockbox made it worthwhile but the whole touchpad thing is inherently flawed in my opinion. It's a shame, with regular 5-way buttons it would be the best "big" player on the market by far.

Aug 10, 2013 at 2:20 AM Post #230 of 368
Now to Rockbox it!!! :)

Aug 10, 2013 at 11:25 AM Post #232 of 368
Silicone cases from FeeBay Google it..

Aug 10, 2013 at 11:36 AM Post #233 of 368
Quote:
Already did.

Wish it came with a little cover for the USB port like my phone. Anybody know of something like that?

That's another example of the Zip being a little better than the Clip+.....the microsd card sits flush on a Zip and sticks out slightly on a Clip+. 

Clip+ (careful not to bump the card and have it go flying away!)

Clip Zip

I suppose you could put a silicone skin on it and glue the slot for the memory card shut....can't really think of any other way to protect it.

I personally don't do that because those cases ruin the tactile feel and hamper blind operation....I'd be pushing my cart through the grocery store and try to pause or skip a track, and suddenly I'd be in the pitch control menu, cursing under my breath.

Aug 11, 2013 at 10:51 AM Post #236 of 368
Quote:
i think clip+ sound a bit better than clip zip

They have the same sound chips inside them. The only reason they sound (slightly) different is that the Clip+ does not play back at the correct speed with the Sansa firmware running. With Rockbox installed on the Clip+, they sound identical.

Aug 11, 2013 at 11:32 AM Post #238 of 368
Aug 11, 2013 at 1:41 PM Post #240 of 368
It is also very nice when you have only portable stuff that is using USB for recharching, I recently bought a power bank with a capacity of 12000mAH that can charge at 0.5V, 1V, 1.5V and 2V and comes with mini-, micro and standard USB connectors as well as iPad, Galaxy Tab connectors. Great for longish bus tours, it can simultaneously supply tablet pc and the AMP/DAC with power. So USB is definitely a plus.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back