Sansa Clip Zip or Clip+ ?
Aug 9, 2013 at 7:37 PM Post #211 of 368
Love the Parametric EQ....

Aug 9, 2013 at 7:40 PM Post #212 of 368
Quote:
As far as I am concerned, it really is mandatory. But I've heard of people complaining that the menus are too confusing....at which point I chuckle to myself. 
biggrin.gif

Rockbox is confusing initially, but after a week or so of using it one gets used to it. Imo the original firmware on the Clip+ is okay, and I did use it for afew years before moving to Rockbox, The original firmware that comes on the CLIp Zip is imo horrible, and it took me less than a week after starting to use the Clip Zip before I Rockboxed it. After I rockboxed the Clip Zip and got used to it, I Rockboxed my Clip+ players.

Aug 9, 2013 at 7:43 PM Post #213 of 368
I find the CLIP+ rockbox a tad hard to read...being old n all

Aug 9, 2013 at 8:02 PM Post #214 of 368
My eyesight isn't great either and I find the default font hard to read on a small screen like the Clip+ but there is a choice of other font styles and sizes. I use 12 point Adobe Helvetica with a custom WPS and find it very legible considering the screen size:

Aug 9, 2013 at 8:03 PM Post #215 of 368
My eyesight isn't great either and I find the default font hard to read on a small screen like the Clip+ but there is a choice of other font styles and sizes. I use 12 point Adobe Helvetica with a custom WPS and find it very legible considering the screen size:

Same goes for the zip though. So now you have the same readability but with more lines of text for easier scrolling, etc. :p

Aug 9, 2013 at 8:07 PM Post #216 of 368
Quote:
Rockbox is confusing initially, but after a week or so of using it one gets used to it. Imo the original firmware on the Clip+ is okay, and I did use it for afew years before moving to Rockbox, The original firmware that comes on the CLIp Zip is imo horrible, and it took me less than a week after starting to use the Clip Zip before I Rockboxed it. After I rockboxed the Clip Zip and got used to it, I Rockboxed my Clip+ players.

I didn't think the OF of the Zip was so bad. I liked that you could hide the menu sections that you didn't use, and the alphabet browsing. Album art really did look terrible, but really, who cares on a tiny player like that? Lots of people made a stink over the elapsed time and remaining time not being displayed, but for me, that was only an issue when I was reviewing the then-new Zip and trying to compare it to my Clip+.  

After my review was done, I still used the Zip and my old Rockboxed Clip+ pretty much equally,  until those first RB builds appeared in November 2011 for the Zip....shortly afterwards, my last remaining Clip+ was sold and I moved on to the new generation of Rockboxed Clip...the Zip.

Aug 9, 2013 at 8:17 PM Post #217 of 368
Same goes for the zip though. So now you have the same readability but with more lines of text for easier scrolling, etc. :p

Yes I'd buy a Zip but my Clip+ refuses to die despite being trodden on, dropped in the street, left in the laundry, immersed in salt water and so on. One day it will finally give in and die and I'll be able to complain about it being unreliable and then buy something else.

With some more lines I would indeed keep the font size and just add an extra line of text in preference to my current conditional alternating sublines. I currently use two conditional alternating sublines, top one alternates artist and composer (if present) and the bottom line alternates between title and comment (if present). It would be good to have comment metadata on a dedicated line like I can do with my bigger iRiver players.

Aug 9, 2013 at 8:25 PM Post #218 of 368
Quote:

I use       dfkt.minimum.clip

loose the icons though...

Aug 9, 2013 at 8:30 PM Post #220 of 368
Yes i also now prefer Simple crossfeed..    no stereo width though
No replay gain or dither etc...just some pre-cut on the EQ

Aug 9, 2013 at 8:39 PM Post #221 of 368
Quote:
Yes i also now prefer Simple crossfeed..    no stereo width though
No replay gain or dither etc...just some pre-cut on the EQ

I've never used the dither. And now that I have better headphones than I used to, I don't need to tinker with the stereo width anymore. I always use replay gain though.

Aug 9, 2013 at 8:42 PM Post #222 of 368
I just alter the pre cut so peak meter stays below clippng point...
Am i doing it wrong....should I use replay gain?

Aug 9, 2013 at 8:50 PM Post #223 of 368
I have zip which has been rockboxed since the day I bought it so I am not familiar with original firmware.

Has anyone else experienced random lockups where the music stops and on/off button does not respond? But once I pop out the 32GB micro sdhc card (class 10), the zip would unfreeze. Is this related to the zip or rockbox or the sdhc? TIA

Aug 9, 2013 at 8:52 PM Post #224 of 368
If i get a freeze usually a long press on power button  (30secs) will do it...
Dont know what the cause may be

Aug 9, 2013 at 9:41 PM Post #225 of 368
I just alter the pre cut so peak meter stays below clippng point...
Am i doing it wrong....should I use replay gain?

You're using the pre-cut correctly. Replay Gain is different but also relates to level. RG seems to assume that music will never or almost never have a positive RG value but if you listen to a lot of classical or other unamplified music that has wide dynamic range then positive values are the majority (last time I checked my collection about 500 out of 800 classical albums had positive RG values, one even being as high as +14dB. I don't recall even one having a negative value). In practice you probably won't enjoy using high positive gain values because those very quiet tracks and albums are mostly intended to be quiet and the choices/differences in level are part of the composer's/performers' intent, so RG imo is not really useful in these circumstances.

If you listen mostly to amplified music and especially playlists from different albums then Replay Gain is very useful because so many tracks/albums are (apparently indiscriminately) mastered at very high levels and almost always have negative RG values (last time I checked my collection only 5 albums out of about 200 of amplified music had a positive value). I would use RG in these circumstances.

If you listen to a broad mix of amplified and unamplified then RG is just too odd. There isn't a satisfactory way to match an extremely loud "brickwalled" rock track with a mostly very quiet track with wide dynamic range without it just being ridiculous (should a harp really play back with a similar level as lemmy on amphetamines, screaming with the mic almost in his mouth?) and RG doesn't change that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back