Sansa Clip Zip or Clip+ ?
Feb 18, 2013 at 12:57 AM Post #64 of 368
most people have an adapter that came with their phone/sd card/random electronic device, etc. and any adapter should work, really. as far as having 2 adapters, they're basically useless outside of putting them in your computer's sd slot, because most devices use the micro sd. but whatever floats your boat. i have a half dozen of those things, i've gotten one with every card i ever bought.

Feb 18, 2013 at 1:16 AM Post #65 of 368
I own both the Zip and the Clip Plus and I swear they sound differently to my ears. The Clip + has more robust bass to my ears and thus more thicker sounding. The Zip is more neutral and thinner sounding. With the Vmoda M80s, I prefer the Clip + over the Zip as the sound is more robust.(I'm currently using the stock firmware on both devices and am not using the equalizer with either of them.) Could just be my ears though. 

Feb 18, 2013 at 1:29 AM Post #66 of 368
Quote:
I own both the Zip and the Clip Plus and I swear they sound differently to my ears. The Clip + has more robust bass to my ears and thus more thicker sounding. The Zip is more neutral and thinner sounding. With the Vmoda M80s, I prefer the Clip + over the Zip as the sound is more robust.(I'm currently using the stock firmware on both devices and am not using the equalizer with either of them.) Could just be my ears though. 

There is a slight difference in sound with the stock firmware. I'm pretty sure it is due to the playback speed being a little bit off in the Clip+, which most people do not even notice. But compare a Clip+ to a Clip Zip, and also to a Clip+ running Rockbox (Rockbox corrects the playback speed on the Clip+) like I did when I got my Clip Zip back in late August of 2011, and the pitch error becomes noticeable on the stock Clip+.

Feb 18, 2013 at 6:31 AM Post #68 of 368
"dissembled /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I own both the Zip and the Clip Plus and I swear they sound differently to my ears. The Clip + has more robust bass to my ears and thus more thicker sounding. The Zip is more neutral and thinner sounding. With the Vmoda M80s, I prefer the Clip + over the Zip as the sound is more robust"

The clip+ weighs 24 grams and the Zip only weighs 15 grams, so maybe some of the interior differs, thus making a different sound.

Feb 18, 2013 at 6:36 AM Post #69 of 368
Are the Sansa players any better at driving multi-ba IEMs than ,let's say, the Cowon DAPs?

Feb 18, 2013 at 2:39 PM Post #70 of 368
Quote:
I notice less clarity using rockbox over the stock firmware (Clip+)

That's a pretty meaningless statement: even discounting placebo and just trying too hard to be Golden Eared (which I do not) clarity is the result of quite complex interactions. For example, if EQ balance is different it may increase distortion products for a particular transducer, so that transducer would be less clear - on stock EQ settings.

Feb 18, 2013 at 2:51 PM Post #71 of 368
Quote:
Are the Sansa players any better at driving multi-ba IEMs than ,let's say, the Cowon DAPs?

Given the ljokerl tested multi-ba IEMs with his J3 and didn't mention problems driving any of them, I think the answer to that is in the "What's the sound of one hand clapping" category. The question is whether the Clip would be as good - is there any reason this would not be a matter of player output and the particular IEM's efficiency and impedance, as for any transducer? I can't think of one; I'd be intrigued to see evidence that there was.

Feb 18, 2013 at 2:58 PM Post #72 of 368
Quote:
"dissembled /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I own both the Zip and the Clip Plus and I swear they sound differently to my ears. The Clip + has more robust bass to my ears and thus more thicker sounding. The Zip is more neutral and thinner sounding. With the Vmoda M80s, I prefer the Clip + over the Zip as the sound is more robust"

The clip+ weighs 24 grams and the Zip only weighs 15 grams, so maybe some of the interior differs, thus making a different sound.

Where are you getting those weight figures from? Some websites had those figures listed a while back, and I remember someone proved them wrong. The relevant hardware is the same....and if anything the Zip should be heavier because of the more strongly constructed clip on the back.

The term "Sansa AMS" is applied to all Sansas with the AMS AS3525 SoC: namely the Fuze v1Clip v1e200 v2c200 v2, and m200 v4 (m200 with firmware v04.xx.xx) or the AS3525v2 SoC: namely the Fuze v2,Clip v2Clip+, and Clip Zip. 

Feb 18, 2013 at 4:39 PM Post #73 of 368
Quote:

Where are you getting those weight figures from? Some websites had those figures listed a while back, and I remember someone proved them wrong.

I got from Sandisk - Clip+ : http://www.sandisk.com/products/music-video-players/clip-plus/            (under "specifications")
                           - Clip zip : http://www.sandisk.com/products/music-video-players/clip-zip/       
Though it doesn´t have to mean anything about the interior. Just that it puzzled me that "Dissembled" heard a difference.

Feb 18, 2013 at 5:53 PM Post #74 of 368
That's a pretty meaningless statement: even discounting placebo and just trying too hard to be Golden Eared (which I do not) clarity is the result of quite complex interactions. For example, if EQ balance is different it may increase distortion products for a particular transducer, so that transducer would be less clear - on stock EQ settings.

I am not the only one who hears this scuttle, I don't know how it all works but there's clearly less clarity in rockbox, very easy to pick in vocals. Whether it be a different flat EQ or not, even someone I don't know very well mentioned it to me the other day here, they picked it out on their own and they've only been into the hobby a few months. Why don't you instead of trying to shoot people down all the time see things from both sides of the fence. I see you around the forums often with your bias statements, keep them to yourself please. I cannot help it if you guys can't hear these things, but to suggest I would just post in this thread and make up a meaningless story, or put down my opinion is uncalled for. I do believe some people really can't hear the difference, they simply cannot which makes their opinions feel valid to them as does mine. Why we see people calling the Clip+ an "audio work of genius" lol Come 'on it's a $30 player that measures flat, has a congested soundstage and sounds like an FM radio.

Thanks.

Feb 18, 2013 at 8:02 PM Post #75 of 368
Quote:
I am not the only one who hears this scuttle, I don't know how it all works but there's clearly less clarity in rockbox, very easy to pick in vocals. 

Audio is notorious for groupthink, expectation bias, and people who make such claims ("Yes, I can certainly hear the difference between FLAC and 240br mp3!") who then fail blind testing.

So colour me extremely sceptical! 

I cannot help it if you guys can't hear these things, but to suggest I would just post in this thread and make up a meaningless story

I didn't say that - it's more that is human nature to imagine differences where none exist because of the placebo effect, and that some people are much more susceptible than others, and that groups of such people - well, they're capable of convincing each other of almost any nonsense.

PS I just found this (it took one google search and was on the first page of results):

http://rmaa.elektrokrishna.com/Temp/Clip%2B%20Rockbox%20HQ%20Patch%2065%20Ohm%20incl%200x1B.htm

...So can change my colour state from "Sceptical" to "More Sceptical Than Richard Dawkins At A Scientologist's Convention." Which I imagine as sort of magenta much like the one used in the graph - only with The Waggly Green Eyebrows Of Noise from the second graph.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back