Sansa Clip Zip or Clip+ ?
Mar 24, 2014 at 7:31 PM Post #316 of 368
  I've had two Clips develop terminal headphone jack issues within nine months of very gentle use.

And, let me tell you, using right angle plugs does NOT prevent the issue : my Clips were used with a right-angle plugged HD 25-II.

I should also add that I have never wrapped my headphones' cable around anything, least of all a Clip.

To my eyes, the Clip's headphone jack dies for a single, simple reason : it's not made to last. The Clip is cheap because it's a disposable player.

As it happens, I'm not saying that this is a bad equation, or that buying a Clip is a bad idea. Putting 40 euros every couple of years into such a capable player (the Clip has a two year warranty where I live) is by no means a bad deal. Just don't expect the thing to outlive its warranty.

I have been using Sandisk Clips for over 5 years. I had only one break, and the only thing that broke was the clip.

Mar 24, 2014 at 7:48 PM Post #317 of 368

I have been using Sandisk Clips for over 5 years. I had only one break, and the only thing that broke was the clip.

I have to agree with this. The only one that broke on me was the clip on the back of a 2.5 year-old Clip+, and that was because someone bumped into me while I was clipping it on....although in all fairness, it was looking as if it would break soon.

Mar 24, 2014 at 7:54 PM Post #318 of 368
Mine hasn't been used gently by any stretch of the imagination. It's had a fairly rough life, in fact. Works just fine. Scratched up a bit, but no broken clip, no broken headphone jack. I've really got no complaints with the little guy.

Also, is it 40 Euros over there? It's $35 shipped off of Amazon (€25). Can't beat that deal.

Mar 25, 2014 at 3:53 PM Post #319 of 368
What can I say ? It's possible that some batches or series have more problems than others, and that manufacturing has gone down hill since you fortunate clip owners have had them.
Both of my clips were black, 8 gb players bought from Amazon.fr. I can't check the serial numbers, but that might have been insightful.
Lastly, yes the 8gb player is 44 euros as I write. I'm not surprised they're cheaper in the US, as that is almost always the case. Sadly, I think amazon.com refuses to ship electronic products to the EU.

Mar 26, 2014 at 7:39 AM Post #320 of 368
Yes more often than not they don't ship to us ;/
As you said, as with any product it's batch dependant but sometimes I feel like the EU gets the shortest straw when it comes to the quality we're getting... Ironically we pay more for less.

Mar 26, 2014 at 6:53 PM Post #321 of 368
Will these work with sandisk's new 128 gb micro sd cards? I know that it SHOULD work seeing as they're from the same company, but I've read that a lot of products aren't reading these new cards. Maybe there needs to be a new firmware update or something... I've searched google, but people only ask questions about the 64 gb micro card, and I really don't want to search 22 pages of this thread.

Mar 26, 2014 at 7:03 PM Post #322 of 368
Will these work with sandisk's new 128 gb micro sd cards? I know that it SHOULD work seeing as they're from the same company, but I've read that a lot of products aren't reading these new cards. Maybe there needs to be a new firmware update or something... I've searched google, but people only ask questions about the 64 gb micro card, and I really don't want to search 22 pages of this thread.

You can always get the 64gb one :wink:
I mean that's enough isn't it? You can get quite a few FLAC albums on there ;D

Mar 28, 2014 at 7:50 PM Post #323 of 368
I also had bad impressions with the jack quality of these players. The first actually lived past its warranty and died on me after like two years and a drop in a bathtub full of water. The headphone jack wasn't working, soldered it every other week for a couple of months then gave up. The second is dying on me right now, after about a half year of daily use.

The worst thing is, my next player will be a Clip+ despite this. Such terrific sound quality and form factor. I challange you to find something better with comparable size in the 100-150$ price range, as I sure as hell couldn't. Would buy it in a heartbeat as I don't want to put up with these jack issues anymore.

Apr 30, 2014 at 7:41 AM Post #325 of 368
I'm thinking of buying either of these to replace my Galaxy Note 3. The GN3 + E18 is just too big for a walkabout solution.

Can someone tell me if the clip is removable? If not does it hamper back-to-back use?

Apr 30, 2014 at 7:44 AM Post #326 of 368
I'm thinking of buying either of these to replace my Galaxy Note 3. The GN3 + E18 is just too big for a walkabout solution.

Can someone tell me if the clip is removable? If not does it hamper back-to-back use?

The clip is not removable.
But it is absolutely not intrusive, you won't even know it's a clip as it serves as the bottom side of the device.
It doesn't get stuck on anything and I don't use the clip at all.

Apr 30, 2014 at 8:19 AM Post #327 of 368
The clip is not removable.
But it is absolutely not intrusive, you won't even know it's a clip as it serves as the bottom side of the device.
It doesn't get stuck on anything and I don't use the clip at all.

Thank you very much. I had hoped this might be the case.

Apr 30, 2014 at 8:29 AM Post #328 of 368
Thank you very much. I had hoped this might be the case.

You're welcome.
I think it's an amazing little device, especially for the price!

Apr 30, 2014 at 8:57 AM Post #329 of 368
I have one more question please. Am I correct to think a 64GB card will work?

Apr 30, 2014 at 9:45 AM Post #330 of 368
I have one more question please. Am I correct to think a 64GB card will work?

Yeah, as a matter of fact I am using one.
There are some new ones, however, that use a newer protocol I believe, those don't have to necessarily work. The more expensive ones I suppose.
I think the safest bet is to use a SanDisk card just to make sure [I think they're pretty cheap and work well so I kinda like em] but most should work!
I am using this one - http://www.amazon.com/SanDisk-MicroSDXC-Memory-Adapter--SDSDQUA-064G-U46A/dp/B007WTAJTO/ref=sr_1_3?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1398865325&sr=1-3&keywords=sandisk+ultra+64+gb and am very happy with it!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back