Sansa Clip Zip or Clip+ ?
Mar 10, 2014 at 10:32 AM Post #301 of 368
  I totally get what you mean. I was basically in love with my fuze til the day it died and heartbroken when I discovered sandisk discountinued them! Whyyy?? They would outsell friggin ipods if they brought em back!

It's the Fuze with the wheel toggle right? Is there a different DAC in the pre+ version? I read that it was and wasn't.Why are they selling for big bucks on ebay?

Mar 10, 2014 at 10:37 AM Post #302 of 368
  Way to convince them man

I'm just being realistic....nothing more, nothing less. The Fuze was my first ever DAP, (unless you count the Discman days years and years ago) so I am not hating on it intentionally. But iPod was never below 85-90% of the DAP market share, and I think SanDisk at one point was in second place but still in single digits.

Fact is, SanDisk has dropped the ball the last few years.....Fuze+ is almost unusable without Rockbox, and barely tolerable with it. The new Clip Sport has some issues as well. If they weren't still selling Clip+ and Clip Zip (which thankfully are both Rockbox-able as well), their DAP business would be dead and buried.

Mar 10, 2014 at 10:39 AM Post #303 of 368

It's the Fuze with the wheel toggle right? Is there a different DAC in the pre+ version? I read that it was and wasn't.Why are they selling for big bucks on ebay?

Because they're no longer made, and they have a bigger screen and better battery life than the Clip models....assuming the batteries in them are still any good, since it's been about 4 years since they stopped making them.

And yes, the internals are different than in the Fuze+. 

Mar 11, 2014 at 3:29 PM Post #304 of 368

I'm just being realistic....nothing more, nothing less. The Fuze was my first ever DAP, (unless you count the Discman days years and years ago) so I am not hating on it intentionally. But iPod was never below 85-90% of the DAP market share, and I think SanDisk at one point was in second place but still in single digits.

Fact is, SanDisk has dropped the ball the last few years.....Fuze+ is almost unusable without Rockbox, and barely tolerable with it. The new Clip Sport has some issues as well. If they weren't still selling Clip+ and Clip Zip (which thankfully are both Rockbox-able as well), their DAP business would be dead and buried.

Fair enough, I don't get why they don't just remake the Fuze, they must see how much it's going for, and the demand?

Mar 11, 2014 at 3:30 PM Post #305 of 368

Well I had one and they're pretty awesome. You take them for granted until you don't have one, and you realise there's nothing like it anymore. Just turning that clicking, led lit scroll wheel, oooh!

Mar 12, 2014 at 2:21 PM Post #306 of 368
Hello...

I recently bought a FiiO E11 amp and have a Sony MDR-XB90EX pair of IEM's connected to it via a Samsung Wave (GT-S8500) phone. The Samsung Wave is no longer used a phone as I have moved onto an Android phone now and it only holds all my music files. Now, I recently joined this forum and was going through the 'Pictures of your Budget-Fi Portable Rig' thread and found the main player of choice there was the Sansa Clip+. I was wondering if I should get one and do away with the Samsung Wave... will it be worth it? Since I'm from India, I'll have to import the player from Amazon so wanted to ask if getting it over the Wave would actually be a good decision as regards to sound quality. I do love the Samsung Wave's much larger touch-screen as compared to the Sansa Clip+ but if getting the Clip+ means better overall sound quality then I'll get it.

Any help on this will be really appreciated!

Mar 12, 2014 at 9:07 PM Post #307 of 368
That's quite a loaded question to ask here. One person will tell you that the Clip+ has a ruler flat frequency response, low thd, and is a reference class source device. Another will tell you that is rubbish, and only the $1k+ altmann tera player is any good. Who do you believe? Is there any particular reason you don't feel your Wave is a suitable source? If you want an honest answer, I will say that since you are amping your Wave, dacs in today's portable devices are mostly transparent, with a few exceptions. So unless you have a particular reason to believe your Wave is not transparent (through measurement or blind testing), you will be endlessly chasing a rabbit that doesn't exist. Transducers make more difference than source components.

Mar 15, 2014 at 11:02 AM Post #308 of 368
  Hello...

I recently bought a FiiO E11 amp and have a Sony MDR-XB90EX pair of IEM's connected to it via a Samsung Wave (GT-S8500) phone. The Samsung Wave is no longer used a phone as I have moved onto an Android phone now and it only holds all my music files. Now, I recently joined this forum and was going through the 'Pictures of your Budget-Fi Portable Rig' thread and found the main player of choice there was the Sansa Clip+. I was wondering if I should get one and do away with the Samsung Wave... will it be worth it? Since I'm from India, I'll have to import the player from Amazon so wanted to ask if getting it over the Wave would actually be a good decision as regards to sound quality. I do love the Samsung Wave's much larger touch-screen as compared to the Sansa Clip+ but if getting the Clip+ means better overall sound quality then I'll get it.

Any help on this will be really appreciated!

I have no idea what the Samsung Wave sounds like, so I won't be any help in terms of comparison, but I'd be wary of buying a Clip+ if you can't do so locally : the player is VERY unreliable. I've had two of them become unusable because of their lousy headphones withing nine months of very gentle use. They're nice players, but they have the life expectancy of a Bic pen.

Mar 15, 2014 at 3:19 PM Post #309 of 368

I have no idea what the Samsung Wave sounds like, so I won't be any help in terms of comparison, but I'd be wary of buying a Clip+ if you can't do so locally : the player is VERY unreliable. I've had two of them become unusable because of their lousy headphones withing nine months of very gentle use. They're nice players, but they have the life expectancy of a Bic pen.

Wao... didn't really read about the Clip+ having headphone port related problems before. The Samsung Wave sounds good overall and with the E11 it's fun to listen to. I was contemplating on whether to just pick up a refurbished 2GB Clip+ from Amazon since it's cheaper (around $32 shipped along with duties to India). I could always use the spare 16GB MicroSD card I have with me with the Clip+.

Mar 17, 2014 at 9:31 AM Post #310 of 368
All portable audio players have the potential to develop headphone jack problems if you plug a long straight plug directly into the player, as this exerts great force on the headphone jack(fulcrum effect) when  the plug is pressed against. The way to prevent this is to only plug right angle plugs into the player. If your headphone has a long straight plug, then get a short headphone extension cable with a right angle plug, and plug that into the player.

Mar 17, 2014 at 10:35 AM Post #311 of 368
Actually the headphone port on the clip is quite strong because its directly coupled as opposed to being soldered on.

Mar 17, 2014 at 10:40 AM Post #312 of 368
I think most of the people that have the headphone jack go bad on Clips probably wrap their headphone cable around the player.

Mar 17, 2014 at 5:53 PM Post #313 of 368
  I think most of the people that have the headphone jack go bad on Clips probably wrap their headphone cable around the player.

How would that be?

Mar 18, 2014 at 7:50 AM Post #314 of 368
  All portable audio players have the potential to develop headphone jack problems if you plug a long straight plug directly into the player, as this exerts great force on the headphone jack(fulcrum effect) when  the plug is pressed against. The way to prevent this is to only plug right angle plugs into the player. If your headphone has a long straight plug, then get a short headphone extension cable with a right angle plug, and plug that into the player.

I've had two Clips develop terminal headphone jack issues within nine months of very gentle use.

And, let me tell you, using right angle plugs does NOT prevent the issue : my Clips were used with a right-angle plugged HD 25-II.

I should also add that I have never wrapped my headphones' cable around anything, least of all a Clip.

To my eyes, the Clip's headphone jack dies for a single, simple reason : it's not made to last. The Clip is cheap because it's a disposable player.

As it happens, I'm not saying that this is a bad equation, or that buying a Clip is a bad idea. Putting 40 euros every couple of years into such a capable player (the Clip has a two year warranty where I live) is by no means a bad deal. Just don't expect the thing to outlive its warranty.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back